The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

Did a lot of sweating today, but I managed to get this far moving some steel. Not real pleased because I didn't allow as much steel for the blanks and had to make smaller knives than I had planned. They are probably at about 80% of the size I wanted.

Hahaha!!! I told the wife I needed to make a lid lifter for a dutch oven and that was the first thing she thought of. Couldn't figure out what I could forge for that.

You could forge pure awesomeness!

The blanks might be smaller...but I am sure they will be great!

Spent some time sweating off about 10 pounds today but got a couple things out of the fire.
The one I needed when I screwed up making the billets too small, and a rough out of something else you guys may be interested in.

Members of the Cadre. Do not hesitate to use the services of Shawn. I made a very simple request nothing crazy. But it looks better than the store bought Dutch oven lifters. His price was fair and he shipped quickly.

Spent some time sweating off about 10 pounds today but got a couple things out of the fire.
The one I needed when I screwed up making the billets too small, and a rough out of something else you guys may be interested in.

Yaaaas! I see a beefy SR being formed!

Yaaaas! I see a beefy SR being formed!

I have to get it squared up then put it on a diet, but it should end up as a SR shaped object when I'm done.
1f606.png

Members of the Cadre. Do not hesitate to use the services of Shawn. I made a very simple request nothing crazy. But it looks better than the store bought Dutch oven lifters. His price was fair and he shipped quickly.

That is some good looking work there!

Shawn...have to wonder if you're a serial watcher of Forged in Fire...lol.

I always watch with an eye out for if they'll make them forge a straight razor. Talk about throwing the contestants for a loop, LOL

Excellent work, Shawn! I can't wait to see the progress on the straight.
Thanks Eric!

Shawn...have to wonder if you're a serial watcher of Forged in Fire...lol.

I always watch with an eye out for if they'll make them forge a straight razor. Talk about throwing the contestants for a loop, LOL

I do watch it, but usually on demand because I forgot it was on. It really leaves a lot of things out though. I have seen a lot of people that watched it then jumped into smithing thinking they can start from scratch and just whip out a sword in an afternoon, but as far as TV shows go it's not too bad.
At least the contestants aren't trying to sabotage each other, or fight and just be some drama crap.

I usually think of what I would pick and how I would do it and see if anyone else does that, and how it works out if they do.

I have thought about them making a straight too, but then Jay wouldn't be able to pound it into a steel plate haha.

this ended up being more of a proof of concept, than a useable piece. I didn't get enough resin in it, and the mold was the wrong size so it didn't let it set right. But I know what I need to change when I try it next time.

Putting it to action and having some delicious peach cobbler. FYI my dad might be wanting to place an order.

Putting it to action and having some delicious peach cobbler. FYI my dad might be wanting to place an order.

Does it work better if you put the whole "U" shaped part under the handle Chad? Then the tail should stabilize the lid so you can tip it up. That was the way it was in the design I "borrowed" from. Your lid handle is a little different shape than the one I tested on though.

Does it work better if you put the whole "U" shaped part under the handle Chad? Then the tail should stabilize the lid so you can tip it up. That was the way it was in the design I "borrowed" from. Your lid handle is a little different shape than the one I tested on though.

That is exactly how I used it. Worked well every night so far.

Today I finally got this stinking order done.... After the third try...... It is the top knife and has mahogany scales. I still need to do a final sharpening and make a sheath for it, and then it can go to it's new home.

The bottom one is just a random homeless combination of a few screw-ups. It was intended to be the above knife, but I cut my material too small before forging and didn't have enough for the size I needed. The scales are olivewood that I purchased to do a set of razor scales, but ordered blanks that were too short. So I used them here.

Back