The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

I have absolutely no need for anything like it but I swear i would buy one just for the cool factor. Maybe to cut Fat Tony's finger off if he doesn't pay off his gambling debts.
Chris, maybe you should buy one, so you can take John’s other pinky....... have you seen what he’s been doing to us in the Bingo thread???

So here is the knife finished, sharpened, and ready to head off to it's new home tomorrow.

And those new Trizact belts are awesome!!! 600 grit puts a beautiful satin finish on a blade.

That finish on that blade is really nice...if that is what those belts do...then yeah...they are worth it!

Nothing too extravagant going on at the moment. Was playing woodworker for a little bit. Got another cutter board planed down and cut out, then bookmatched some really nice walnut for some upcoming projects. The two on the right have a quick rough sanding and a light shot of clear coat just to show off the grain.

I don't know about master, but so far the only person I've seen actually making them. So I guess maybe, but only by default.

...in a class all by himself!

1f44d.png

The walnut looks great!

So no fire lit again today...

Got the edges of the cutter board all shaped, got it sanded, and started the finish coats.

And I ripped out all of the old refractory from my forge.

I then put all new refractory in the forge and painted the inside with Plistix. Plistix is an IR reflective coating that should help me hit higher temperatures faster while using less gas, and also help with durability of the inside of my forge at welding temperatures.

So now I'm in hurry up and wait mode.... I need to wait for the Plistix to fully cure so I can fire the forge at low temp to set it, and wait for the finish to soak into the board to be able to apply more.

Back