The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

Thanks Chris! I just noticed the random line in the ricasso.... It's the overspray from the finish where the tape line was. Just got to clean that off when I do the final sharpening.... Careless people, I tell ya.
1f61d.png

Jesus Shawn! You are getting really good at this! I'm not just saying it either. And that Mahogany is one good looking handle!

Jesus Shawn! You are getting really good at this! I'm not just saying it either. And that Mahogany is one good looking handle!

Thanks Don! I think you are exaggerating a little, but thank you.

I stopped at the mechanic's today that gave me some leaf spring when I first got started to show him one of my latest knives (the one with the blue jean handle), and ended up coming home with a new present. About 100 pounds and 5 feet of 1/2 to 1 inch thick by 3 inch wide spring steel.
(for size reference that is a 5 gallon bucket and a 6x6 it's on.)

Hokey Smokes Shawn! I've just had a great time binge read this thread and am amazed at the work you do! I have been reading that in Nepal, Truck springs are the preferred material for their famous Khukuri knives (or swords they are really big) I have one the guy said was from a Saab truck. It is darned thick and strong. That is some tough steel you are working with and I salute your skill and hobby. I too am watching your kitchen knives with interest. Looking toward a single grind Santoku sometimes called a Debu Bocho.

Kindest regards,
Rich

Thanks Rich. The only problem with working with truck springs is that they aren't all the same alloy. So the heat treat and tempering may be different from one set to the next.
I always make a couple tests with each new set of springs so that I know how it reacts and get to "know" it and how it reacts.

I have done a single grind on the tobacco cutters. Mainly for the same reason, so it doesn't push against the plug and just pushes away the piece you cut off. I like doing the kitchen knives but so far most people want hunting knives. But living in northern PA, I guess that shouldn't be a big shock. First day of deer season is like a state holiday haha.

Was a pretty decent day today. Didn't get out to the shop, but I made a road trip. These two are finally finished and out of my way and with their new owners.

I took this one along with me because I was told the one guy's son was interested as well but wasn't there when I got the other two orders.

He didn't buy this one so it came back home with me, but he wants one just like it with white oak scales instead of the olivewood. He also shaves with a Feather Artist Club and want's a straight razor from me.

Looks like the orders are rolling in! I talked with my brother and looks like you will have another order. I'll get with you in a bit!

OK, ok, what is a plug cutter? Because when you google it, that is not at all what comes up.

I love your plug cutters, they turn out so nice. I have absolutely no need for anything like it but I swear i would buy one just for the cool factor. Maybe to cut Fat Tony's finger off if he doesn't pay off his gambling debts.

That video shows how sharp you get those edges, amazing work.

Back