The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

What are you talking about? That looks like something you can buy in the store! Only I know it's made better!

I don't know if I'd go that far, but thanks Don!

Finally doing a little catching up. Good to hear that the ceramic belts are working out for you. The "durability testing" comment almost tickled my funny bone enough for a spit-take, mostly because I have the remnants of a few projects in The Dungeon that made me realize just how durable CA is as a finish while doing similar testing. The knife looks great, and I love the detail work on the micarta scales. Great stuff Shawn. Someday I'll have to start updating my page lol.

I'm thinking CA may be a good finish for that project. I am a bit concerned about my patience level though.... I didn't have good luck with it the one other time I tried it.
Thank you for the kind words, and YES you do need to start updating!!!
1f61b.png

Actually worked is an understatement. Looks great!

Thank you Chris!!

That looks great Shawn!

Thanks Craig!!

Cool pif, I'm in !!

Not with this one I'm afraid. I am thinking of something once I get a caught up though, so stay tuned in.
1f609.png

That micarta is better looking than the last batch I bought!

C'mon TJ.... It's not that good! But thank you.
I actually wish I could have soaked the material a little better, but I had to work really fast. That resin sets faster in heat, and it is about 90 in my little shop without the forge going....

I got lucky and had no bad spots, but the next batch I want to find someplace cooler to make it so I have a little more time to make sure everything is saturated very well. And make it more colorful!

C'mon TJ.... It's not that good! But thank you.
I actually wish I could have soaked the material a little better, but I had to work really fast. That resin sets faster in heat, and it is about 90 in my little shop without the forge going....

I got lucky and had no bad spots, but the next batch I want to find someplace cooler to make it so I have a little more time to make sure everything is saturated very well. And make it more colorful!

my friend it is that good!

That micarta looks amazing. I can't wait to see where you are going from here.

I may have to commission a custom micarta piece sometime. I’m digging the look of that.

I may have to commission a custom micarta piece sometime. I’m digging the look of that.

Now don't get too complex on me yet, I only just figured out how to make it. And just so you know my work method, I usually screw up and get it right the first time, I just can't duplicate it.
1f604.png

I managed to run out of propane right after heating up the forge today. Ran down and got my tank filled and cam back and started working. Again... Got a little metal hammered and then reminded myself of two things.
1: Black steel can be hot too.
2: Watch where your arm is as you are operating the vise handle when there is a piece of hot steel sticking out of it.

Anyway... Got a dutch oven lid lifter done today.

Back