The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

Made a guide for doing my plunge lines today. Works pretty good. I drilled and tapped one piece for the precision shoulder bolts to thread into, then drilled and reamed the side the shoulder goes through. That left me with only about 2 thousandths of an inch clearance, so they still slide freely but keep everything nice and even. Then I just drilled and tapped for 1/4-20 cap screws to tighten everything down. Both sides were milled to be the same, so everything is nice and true.

20210816_135643_resized.jpg

20210816_135830_resized.jpg

Nice Shawn! That stubby and the one following it are both pretty sweet lookin…heck all of em look pretty sweet!

The second pictured looks exceptionally appealing. Is the uncovered hole by design?
It is. Being a short handle I left a hollow pin in the back for a lanyard. I do that with some of my camp knives that could be used for chopping and some hunters that may see rough use also.

I can't really decide which one I like the most, they are all done very well! I'm so itching to make a big knife. Someday I want to have my own fixed blade that is etched with this: "Evil is never dead enough" I think up near the spine of a Bowie would be appropriate, or on a tanto tipped tactical blade.

Fine job Shawn! I like the finish grit you are using. I hate mirror shiny blades, and this is a great compromise.

Got my knife in from Shawn the other day. I absolutely love this! Pics don't do it justice at all. While this knife is a beauty, I plan on using this bad boy for a lot of things. This guy is meant to be used! Handle in Black Walnut so it should last longer than I am on this earth! Thanks again Shawn for everything!

m8RvCE5t_Qq2JmgUwtM-h1G87qBnn4us8pXwof7Ai_9imbPrcGocnchPD3NtKVxk4TC7J4aBpbZ7VojT1xNXHeJKt_nnWaudDIf1nzTzy41gXOxcDZrwRVFdYMP72ywFGVF9rUZXnHrekkRH3ofbIn-EL5pX1BegudtsGFycuNI0hEeX-_W4MgyjgPJiNj2BEniyjboezRRi2f96zvznoqIOiUaEVxLjSqByFgJYf5jqABc3tMwUqapzuRO31NlKM3IbC93xStniy2z3VzAYIYVwYq6LGoZQ4CnBBsS1x_Ug_c1VCRq0ERB_nTtoLuG6HE_e4P68jvP9qiCl2gbmxTXMgt-KIRX9y1XRBJ1Tm_xVJFzAwT8zot8j-gd2p1r7TiKSo8Rkcqoe0eZJdsATepfS2sTyi4C3HYm2nKZM_z461kCe4S9tuWO2lUVEWpJSafjqh7_13Q4sJQlsx3LRHuxCXL7ODFUU6rE2OrVdYYr9hnz9YWFUQiNc05FX9a40wiFZjPTnqJYXEoEXwMWMkR-_lHqx46kfeSmM_iDR862RZE5qeimVaUsI8b_qvC-05Oo3K6kfyZi66w46x_850BRocJJW9i8vq6nOQPMVex03uXCA_FQy-OO0vyJ_BRgSjLQK_S2peneqykXf4aE6j6oPV-Bm-6fbmdVhNHESOw5ooY0_JuTK355BDRHAx8Yl_UsdqI0HFlbaov9QBLcvBQiiRQ=w1204-h903-no

Still alive and kicking. I have a new shop half up and running now.(still needs some organizing)
I also have a new shop partner who is very interested in the craft and learning very quickly.

I still have no internet available at the house, so updates won't be frequent yet, but here is a taste of what is coming from the new shop.
Top one is mine with Honduran rosewood for the handle, and the bottom one Chrissy did with a little help and the handle is dyed Birdseye maple with aluminum honeycomb and resin for the handle.
20220703_134020_capture.jpg

Back