The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

Very nice work! Good to see you back online.
Thanks!
Hope to be back on more soon, but I hate trying to do things off my phone. Lines are run for internet here but no clue when they will start hooking it up to houses since they were just run about a week ago.
Not really enough service here to do Hotspot from the phone either. Fingers crossed that it won't be too long.

Still alive and kicking. I have a new shop half up and running now.(still needs some organizing)
I also have a new shop partner who is very interested in the craft and learning very quickly.

I still have no internet available at the house, so updates won't be frequent yet, but here is a taste of what is coming from the new shop.
Top one is mine with Honduran rosewood for the handle, and the bottom one Chrissy did with a little help and the handle is dyed Birdseye maple with aluminum honeycomb and resin for the handle.
View attachment 87806
Wowza! Those look awesome Shawn!

Those look Great. I had been wondering about you . I'm glad to see you here again and I hope to see you more real soon.....

Now for the strength test. Shawn, I will take your knives and put them in the woodchipper. Remember, it's not what your blades do to the woodchipper, but what the woodchipper does to your blades. Ready?

1657665941257.png

Hi everybody. Been a long time again. It has been pretty hectic this last year.
For those of you that weren't aware i had a very life changing event happen just over a year ago that caused a move. I had gotten my new shop up and running with my new partner and we had some big plans.
Then recently, we had a car go through the shop....

The damage wasn't extremely horrible, but it took out the overpriced piece of junk forge I had just bought, the front of the shop, the quench tank, and completely rearranged our smooth flow to a can't find anything pike.

So rebuilding has started, but is going slowly. I was going to refine the new forge I bought but discovered how badly it was made in the process. So that got diverted into building my own again. Which is done except lining it.
Cleaning 5 gallons of quench oil off everything took a bit of work, but that part is done and new tanks have been built.
The reorganization has been slow. The cold weather hasn't helped much coupled with having so little time.

Good news is not only are we going to follow through with our plans for the knife shop, Chrissy is actually wanting to push further into the blacksmithing side of things as well. So hopefully before long there will be lots of things shown here for your enjoyment.

And since I know everyone was hoping for pictures, here is one.

20221018_153237.jpg

Hi everybody. Been a long time again. It has been pretty hectic this last year.
For those of you that weren't aware i had a very life changing event happen just over a year ago that caused a move. I had gotten my new shop up and running with my new partner and we had some big plans.
Then recently, we had a car go through the shop....

The damage wasn't extremely horrible, but it took out the overpriced piece of junk forge I had just bought, the front of the shop, the quench tank, and completely rearranged our smooth flow to a can't find anything pike.

So rebuilding has started, but is going slowly. I was going to refine the new forge I bought but discovered how badly it was made in the process. So that got diverted into building my own again. Which is done except lining it.
Cleaning 5 gallons of quench oil off everything took a bit of work, but that part is done and new tanks have been built.
The reorganization has been slow. The cold weather hasn't helped much coupled with having so little time.

Good news is not only are we going to follow through with our plans for the knife shop, Chrissy is actually wanting to push further into the blacksmithing side of things as well. So hopefully before long there will be lots of things shown here for your enjoyment.

And since I know everyone was hoping for pictures, here is one.

View attachment 101378
Wow that is quite the update. 2022 is the gift that keeps on giving…in a bad way. But glad you tackling the challenges and everything is better because of it.

Thank you for popping in! And that knife is beautiful!

Sorry to hear about what happened. Glad it is working out in the end though. The knife is beautiful.

Sorry to hear that man, glad you are forging on! You do too good of work to not continue. Glad you're getting Chrissy in on it as well. It's great that you two have something like that to work on together and bond over.

So been away a while again but I am still kicking. Got married the end of January! That is an awesome thing.
The shop is coming along. Got the front rebuilt and a lot of the mess cleaned up.
Also rebuilt my old forge and put extra burners in it. Way hotter than anything I've had previously while using less gas than the one I bought.
We have a new addition to the shop also.
We are now the proud owners of a coal Ironworks 12 ton hydraulic forging press!
I used it to draw out a billet, then cut and restacked it for another forge weld. I did my rough grind and etched it just to check for flaws and see the pattern.
I am proud to announce that my first cut and stack went flawlessly!

20230504_192904.jpg

I already have additional billets Stacked and ready to forge as well as some canisters to try as soon as my powdered steel comes in.
I am really hoping to have more time soon to be a part of the site again like I used to.
Hope everyone is doing well!

Back