The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

Grinder and stand envy :sick:

Looks great Shawn! I expect a full report about how much better it works :p Happy for you brother! It's been a long time coming and people here probably don't understand what these things cost and how many knives and things a guy has to make to hoard up enough money.

I know I haven't been on much, but I've had a lot going on lately. I did get an addition to the shop today that I thought might be worth mentioning though.

I am now the proud owner of a new belt grinder!!!! I finally was able to upgrade my little makeshift grinder to a 2hp, variable speed 2x72 belt grinder!

View attachment 50018

Still have some work to do making a proper stand for it and a housing for the transformer and vfd, but this is going to make life much easier in the shop.
I'm glad for you Shawn.. I hope you enjoy your new "Toy" ..

Shop is pathetic and filthy, but the new stand is in place and the grinder is on. I need to borrow an 8-32 tap from work to mount the vfd inside the panel box, bolt the grinder base to the table, cut my air and access holes in the panel box, and hook up an external power switch for the transformer. (And clean my filthy pig hole)
Almost ready to start throwing some spark though!

20210401_155125.jpg

Well.... I have succeeded once at least. I finally got around to drawing out that low layer billet I made and got it shaped tonight. No de-lams that I can find. I tried to wipe it down with some ferric chloride to see if I could get a little pattern to show, but it actually got harder to see after I cleaned it off.
I did try to do a little bit of a birdseye pattern in it, but I think I waited too long in the drawing out process and couldn't get my holes deep enough.

I guess we will see what it does after I drill, quench/temper, and finish sand it so I can etch it properly.

20210405_200636.jpg

20210405_200724.jpg

Well.... I have succeeded once at least. I finally got around to drawing out that low layer billet I made and got it shaped tonight. No de-lams that I can find. I tried to wipe it down with some ferric chloride to see if I could get a little pattern to show, but it actually got harder to see after I cleaned it off.
I did try to do a little bit of a birdseye pattern in it, but I think I waited too long in the drawing out process and couldn't get my holes deep enough.

I guess we will see what it does after I drill, quench/temper, and finish sand it so I can etch it properly.

View attachment 50407

View attachment 50408
Nice Shawn... Jjay said Nice too..

I looked at the diy ones. Lots of good designs, but I end up with such limited time, I wouldn't have time to forge. So I went with the completed option.
If I ever get round to this, totally in agreement. Cant wait to see what comes off the grinder.

I looked at the diy ones. Lots of good designs, but I end up with such limited time, I wouldn't have time to forge. So I went with the completed option.
There is a power hammer building class out here that is tempting, but I feel similar about it. If I spend the time at the anvil instead of building the hammer, and earning the money to pay for the class and hammer, the work is done. That plus I really don't have room in my shop for a hammer.

There is a power hammer building class out here that is tempting, but I feel similar about it. If I spend the time at the anvil instead of building the hammer, and earning the money to pay for the class and hammer, the work is done. That plus I really don't have room in my shop for a hammer.
I'd love to have power hammer or at least a press, but don't really have the room for either. Certainly not a power hammer. maybe I can squeeze in a small press but it would be tight.

I did make a set of spring drawing dies for my hardie hole that worked fairly well for drawing out the welded billet.
Still a lot of hammering but quicker than trying to do it on the edge or horn.

That's a good looking grind. It will be doing knifing things in no time. (y)

For a first pattern weld, I find nothing bad about it at all. Great job! Forged in Fire has ruined people's perceptions of knives in the sense that they think that an knife should survive being plunged into a wood chipper and still have an edge / look like a million dollars. The problems you pointed out won't hurt that knife being used for a lifetime of use that knives are intended for. I can't wait to see it completely done.

When I apply aquafortis to my curly maple tomahawk handles it too shows any sanding mistakes I made. I have to polish in between coats. I wonder if that would work with the acid etch? Aquafortis is acid that brings out the tiger striping in curly maple and is what the old long gun makers used to use.

Back