The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

Shawn’s work, whether it is knives or some other custom iron work (like my strop holder or one of the many fire poker-Dutch oven tools) is always impressive. It’s incredible to hold one of his knives in your hand and know that this guy from the TSC Hobbyists forum started with raw materials and finished with THAT. ...cool gift @uacowboy / @sunnysanity . NOW, I happen to know Shawn puts a great edge on his knives...so great in fact you can remove facial hair with one of his knives if you wanted to.

Shawn’s work, whether it is knives or some other custom iron work (like my strop holder or one of the many fire poker-Dutch oven tools) is always impressive. It’s incredible to hold one of his knives in your hand and know that this guy from the TSC Hobbyists forum started with raw materials and finished with THAT. ...cool gift @uacowboy / @sunnysanity . NOW, I happen to know Shawn puts a great edge on his knives...so great in fact you can remove facial hair with one of his knives if you wanted to.
Totally agree!
however, I'm not testing this edge in that manner. I like having ears and I'm pretty sure it would take that off as quickly and easily as the hair!

You will have to let me know how it performs for you. Hopefully it fit's in with what you are used to.
so far i'm loving it! still getting used to the length since my previous go to was a shot blade because it held the best edge. the one cuts like a beast!

Super job Shawn! Good leather work is hard to do. Winkler hires out for all his sheaths, so sometimes it's better to do it that way. That's a serious contender!

Super job Shawn! Good leather work is hard to do. Winkler hires out for all his sheaths, so sometimes it's better to do it that way. That's a serious contender!
If your talking about Daniel Winkler he even hires out some knives. In the past few years he and WR Case Cutlery have done collaborations on 4 different knives and an ax.

I know I haven't been on much, but I've had a lot going on lately. I did get an addition to the shop today that I thought might be worth mentioning though.

I am now the proud owner of a new belt grinder!!!! I finally was able to upgrade my little makeshift grinder to a 2hp, variable speed 2x72 belt grinder!

20210329_163852_resized.jpg

Still have some work to do making a proper stand for it and a housing for the transformer and vfd, but this is going to make life much easier in the shop.

I know I haven't been on much, but I've had a lot going on lately. I did get an addition to the shop today that I thought might be worth mentioning though.

I am now the proud owner of a new belt grinder!!!! I finally was able to upgrade my little makeshift grinder to a 2hp, variable speed 2x72 belt grinder!

View attachment 50018

Still have some work to do making a proper stand for it and a housing for the transformer and vfd, but this is going to make life much easier in the shop.
It's too new...throw it away! 🤪

Last edited:
Back