The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

Since I built the blade jig, I decided that after 3 years it was finally time to build a table for my grinder. Had a little free time today, so I threw something together. This one will be mounted to the workbench the belt grinder is on. Then I will have vertical and horizontal adjustment, as well as swivel if needed.
I actually machined a recess into the top of the upright support before welding the pin onto it. That way the pin nestled in there and was good and square.

Just a little something I threw together.... sheesh.. can be get any more manly?

That's a good looking setup. can't wait to hear how all this comes together for you and how you like it!

I like that you can change the angle of your new table. My table lacks that feature, though I can change the angle of my flat platten, and effectively change the angle on wheels by shimming the table up or down.

I like that you can change the angle of your new table. My table lacks that feature, though I can change the angle of my flat platten, and effectively change the angle on wheels by shimming the table up or down.
That was actually inspired by the video of Travis that you posted for me. Not sure at this point how often I'll use the feature since I built my jig to be adjustable, but since it was fresh in my mind I thought it would better to build it in than to try and add it later.

Just a little something I threw together.... sheesh.. can be get any more manly?
But my job is doing stuff like this. So it's just another day at work for me. Nothing really exceptional, just drill some holes, make a couple welds, mill a couple things, and screw it all together. Easy stuff really.

Just a comment. Travis' attachments use a clamping mechanism instead of a set screw. Clamping would eliminate any marking or distortion of the shaft. You could modify you existing clamp with a saw cut and a new tapped hole for the clamping bolt.

Just a comment. Travis' attachments use a clamping mechanism instead of a set screw. Clamping would eliminate any marking or distortion of the shaft. You could modify you existing clamp with a saw cut and a new tapped hole for the clamping bolt.
I did remember that from the video, and you are correct, it wouldn't be too hard to modify. I'll be honest that I did it this way due to time constraints. Trying to get it done in short spurts in between jobs in the plant, so I took the easy/lazy route. Plus I left enough extra in the upright that I can cut that pin off and change it if needed down the road without losing anything.

I would like to eventually build or buy a full size 2x72, so hopefully this one won't be "permanent". It's more of a "get me what I need to work with what I have" right now for my little 2x42.

I'm also tossing an idea around in my head for a razor grinding setup. My thought is maybe getting two bench grinders (just cheap harbor freight type for proof of concept), then mounting them facing on a "V" plate. For the V plate, I'll have it hinged in the middle and screw adjustments to move the plates up and down allowing the wheels to move closer or farther as needed. Take the guards off the grinders and swap the wheels so both grits are on the same sides. Wire them both into a separate switch so I can leave the main one on and not have to reach between them. Then I could have a bottom "fed" two wheel grinder in a similar concept to what production places use.

Biggest drawback I see to it would be the wheel size possibly since the cheap ones are usually a 6 inch. Not sure if that would give me enough radius. Maybe if I could mount an 8 inch wheel to them since there will be no guard. Also, I may find an easy way to do them with my new jig when I actually get the time to play around with it which would eliminate the need for it anyhow.

My current 'dream tool' is building a slow speed 9" disk sander 😛. I know it would be useful, but I keep going back and forth as to whether its utility will be worth the time, expense, and shop space to make it a worth while project.

Charlie Lewis has one in his shop that I'm going to play with a bit when I'm there later this month. That should help me decide... I think!

I know of several razor makers who have built double wheel grinders, most using 2 x 72 belts. None of them stuck with them, though I know that Ralf Aust does use one of the old double wheel machines. Charlie has a belt version that he built at his shop too! We've never played with it, and I think that it has been cannibalized for parts for other projects.

I've seen the old one that Ralf uses, and I've seen videos of Charlie's build. Those were part of what got me thinking about it. Still only a thought at this point.

I have a small disk sander on the side of my 4x36 I use for some of my wood rough shaping, but I really don't use the disk much. It's not really slow speed though.

Yeah, the diameter and the slow speed are key to what I want to use it for. Also it would sit flat like a record player and be reversible.

Its about the same as mine. Should be able to do it with no issues.

That's good to know. I just haven't had time to run my electric box. I have some winter stuff that needs doing in the cold weather outside so I've been focused on that lately.

Hmmm. I just used my 16" wheel on my 2x72 to do the operation that I had in mind for the 9" disk sander and it worked fine. Disk sander is kicked off of the dream tool list. Now I can forget about making more tools and just work.

Hmmm. I just used my 16" wheel on my 2x72 to do the operation that I had in mind for the 9" disk sander and it worked fine. Disk sander is kicked off of the dream tool list. Now I can forget about making more tools and just work.
You have me curious now. What was it you were working on that you were able to do with a radius wheel instead of the flat wheel you were wanting to do it on?

I'm experimenting with convex profiles on kitchen knives. The knives are thin so the convex is subtle and close to the cutting edge. Don Nguyen demonstrated doing this on a low speed 9"disk at the Wuertz meet last year. The disk has the advantage over belts of only having one edge to deal with as well as a slower speed toward the center which helps keep from burning the tip of the knife.

Anyway I was able to do it on my 14" wheel by holding the knife vertical so I didn't have to deal with the belt edges. The large radius of the wheel is close enough to flat to avoid dishing the knife while still providing clearance and good sight lines. Some knife makers are using 20+" wheels. The large diameters are much nicer to work on than platens.

Keep the possibility of large wheels in mind if you build a grinder. I use my 14" a lot.

Ever have one of those days where everything starts out pretty good then just all of a sudden turns to....... well.... not so good? Had another one of those days.....

First off, it was sort of warm today. 35 degrees when I got off work. Much better than the NEGATIVE 18 when I went in to work Sat.!!!! So I took advantage and went to the shop to work on something that is further behind than I'm comfortable admitting....

Good news is that the new jig and table work well. So I screwed up and got at least one thing right.

20200217_171403.jpg

20200217_171351.jpg

20200217_171400.jpg

Bad news is, I rushed again......

I'm so far behind on this project that I'm embarrassed and mad at myself over it. So I finally get a somewhat decent day and a little bit of time and I go out in a hurry trying to get something done before the temperature drops again. Water tub is still froze, so no cooling the blade. Work through and clean all the quench scale off on the 80 grit belt. Put the 120 on and start hogging......... Someone should know better than to hog on a fine grit, especially with no water......
I burnt the #*^& blade....

After some Jay Neilson style "quality inspections" and actually looking at my color and tempering charts, it does still fall within an acceptable temper range (even though I think I exceeded my own...). So NOT where I wanted it to be, but based on what I did to it VS what it will be used for, I still feel comfortable finishing it.

Bottom line. Slow down and learn better time management moron!!!

Back