The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

Yeah, the way that Travis mounts all of his tooling is very versatile. I went to his meet last year and am registered to go again this year.

Yeah, the way that Travis mounts all of his tooling is very versatile. I went to his meet last year and am registered to go again this year.
Some day I want to get to the point I can go to some of the meets. Maybe if i ever get good at this i can save up that money.😆

I did too!! One of us can come to the others shop and we can do our own, how's that? Loser buys the pizza!

That sounds like fun! Canister damascus with paper clips, fish hooks, old used DE blades and 1095 powdered steel :LOL:

At this point with one knife under my belt, you'd win hands down for sure. Someday I think we could do this though and it would be fun. It'd have to be at my shop though because I have two anvils 😜 BYOF (bring your own forge).

I have NO idea how it works but feel I should pretend I do and say what a wonderful job you did. 😂 😜 😂
This is NOT one of my blades, it is a Case reject someone had given me, but it shows how the blade is held. The pin in the middle slides up and down to adjust for different blade shapes while the threaded holes allow for attaching the blade through the holes in the tang.
It is the same on either side of the pin to allow for just flipping the blade to do the other side the same. The hinge and threaded rod in the back allow me to adjust the angle to stay consistent throughout the entire grinding process.

20200103_171028.jpg

That sounds like fun! Canister damascus with paper clips, fish hooks, old used DE blades and 1095 powdered steel :LOL:

At this point with one knife under my belt, you'd win hands down for sure. Someday I think we could do this though and it would be fun. It'd have to be at my shop though because I have two anvils 😜 BYOF (bring your own forge).
I'm going to hold you to that now haha! And I can bring the forge!!

Boy I gotta get making blades if I want to survive with my dignity in hand rather I win or lose. It sounds fun, but I'm a sloooooow craftsman so I'm not sure how I'd do in a timed contest. I mean I've been working on an ash longbow for 10 years and it still isn't ready to string :LOL:

We'd have to have a neutral 3rd party do the testing for the knives. Big Mike from the cabin build crew could probably do the testing. Oh yeah, how about a bullet shot edge test :oops:

Boy I gotta get making blades if I want to survive with my dignity in hand rather I win or lose. It sounds fun, but I'm a sloooooow craftsman so I'm not sure how I'd do in a timed contest. I mean I've been working on an ash longbow for 10 years and it still isn't ready to string :LOL:

We'd have to have a neutral 3rd party do the testing for the knives. Big Mike from the cabin build crew could probably do the testing. Oh yeah, how about a bullet shot edge test :oops:
I'm pretty confident in the test. 😜 Especially if it's 1095. I think I have that heat treat dialed in pretty good now. We could up the time limit a little. Like all day maybe. Just to waste time shooting the breeze before we shoot the blades. :ROFLMAO:

This is NOT one of my blades, it is a Case reject someone had given me, but it shows how the blade is held. The pin in the middle slides up and down to adjust for different blade shapes while the threaded holes allow for attaching the blade through the holes in the tang.
It is the same on either side of the pin to allow for just flipping the blade to do the other side the same. The hinge and threaded rod in the back allow me to adjust the angle to stay consistent throughout the entire grinding process.

View attachment 14350
I got a handle on it now. So my take is the holes look too big !! The large and the small 😂 😂 😂 😜

I'm pretty confident in the test. 😜 Especially if it's 1095. I think I have that heat treat dialed in pretty good now. We could up the time limit a little. Like all day maybe. Just to waste time shooting the breeze before we shoot the blades. :ROFLMAO:

I'm likely to get done and love my knife too much to want the J Neilson abuse treatment. I do tend to fall in love with the things I make during the long process.

Since I built the blade jig, I decided that after 3 years it was finally time to build a table for my grinder. Had a little free time today, so I threw something together. This one will be mounted to the workbench the belt grinder is on. Then I will have vertical and horizontal adjustment, as well as swivel if needed.
I actually machined a recess into the top of the upright support before welding the pin onto it. That way the pin nestled in there and was good and square.

20200130_140745.jpg

20200130_140858.jpg

20200130_140906.jpg

Back