The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

No work to show from my shop at the moment, but I found something I really wanted. It's an adjustable knife grinding jig. Looks like this.

20191231_104155.jpg

I really believe it will help my production times and consistency since I seem to have extremely limited time for the shop now.

The big problem is that they sell for about $200. I just don't have that kind of extra lying around right now even though it is a sensible investment.

So I was a little slow at work and was wondering, what would @NurseDave do? I know... He'd make one!!

So I dug out some aluminum flat stock and cut 2 pieces off. Then put them together in the mill vise ad ran an end mill down the ends to make sure they were both the same length. I then took one plate and used a fly cutter in the mill to make one face true. Then I figured out a layout for my bolt pattern and dialed the mill all around to drill 48 holes. Then the fun part of hand tapping them all.... 24 of them I tapped with 5/16-18 thread, and the other 24 were tapped with 1/4-20 thread. Then I cut the groove for the sliding "washer" for the adjustable center pin. I had already machined the material for the washer so I knew the depth I had to cut the groove to make the washer sit flush with the face when it was in there.

20191231_104139.jpg

Then cut a 5/16 slot inside of that groove. That will allow the pin to adjust up and down. For the pin, I took a 5/16 cap screw and figured out where it would come through when tightened and then just turned the rest of the threads off in the lathe.

20191231_105355.jpg

Here it is with the pin and a cap screw in it. Starting to actually look like the picture.

20191231_133814.jpg

Then I got the holes drilled and tapped on both pieces to attach a hinge.

20191231_142846.jpg

That's as far as I got today. So all that's left is making and attaching the adjustment mechanism, and then maybe a couple of handles. I may also add some UHMW to the bottom if we have a thin piece lying around to make it slide around better.

So no blade updates, but I haven't quit yet.

So I was a little slow at work and was wondering, what would @NurseDave do?
He'd order one from Amazon ;)

Dude, that is awesome! Knowing how to fabricate anything like that is quite the skill set.

He'd order one from Amazon
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thanks Dave! To be truthful, I'm pretty much just making it up as I go to see if I can make it something like the picture and actually be functional. I think I may have made my hole sizes too big though. I should have gone with 1/4-20 for the larger ones and maybe a 10-32 for the smaller ones. I think it will still work though, may just take a little altering to setting up the blade in it.

That looks great Shawn. I hope it works for you in the end. Soon Ernest Emerson will be calling you to work for him.

You know, that $10,000 purse for winning Forged In Fire would do wonders to equip your blacksmith shop :LOL: It's time to fill out your application.

That's pretty cool! can't wait to hear how it turns out!
Thanks Kyle!
That looks great Shawn. I hope it works for you in the end. Soon Ernest Emerson will be calling you to work for him.

You know, that $10,000 purse for winning Forged In Fire would do wonders to equip your blacksmith shop :LOL: It's time to fill out your application.
Thanks Mike. I hope so too. That would be awesome! And NO!!!

STOP ENCOURAGING HIM!!!!!!!!!!

Looks great, I’m impressed. If it looks that good it has to work.

Thanks Chris!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Thanks Dave! To be truthful, I'm pretty much just making it up as I go to see if I can make it something like the picture and actually be functional. I think I may have made my hole sizes too big though. I should have gone with 1/4-20 for the larger ones and maybe a 10-32 for the smaller ones. I think it will still work though, may just take a little altering to setting up the blade in it.
You may be able to just though bolt when you need smaller screws, if I'm understanding the fixture correctly.

For something completely different check out Wuertz' table saw analogy of blade grinding;

If we can get you , @bluesman and shawn involved we could make our own show.
That would be like the contestants going up against Jay Neilson on the show.... If Victor is just going to be the judge I'll play as I think I might be able to keep up with Mike and give him a run for his money.

Just getting caught up and impressive.........................I'm not surprised though. All your work is ;)
Thanks Dave!!
Shawn...I am totally impressed! Man looks amazing!
Thanks Don!!
Great job on the jig, Shawn! More updates will be required.
Thanks Eric!! There will be. I got a little bit done on the adjuster today, but I got busy doing work stuff.... The nerve of them wanting me to do work stuff at work. :ROFLMAO:

You may be able to just though bolt when you need smaller screws, if I'm understanding the fixture correctly.

For something completely different check out Wuertz' table saw analogy of blade grinding;
I think you are, and I could through bolt it if needed. Just one of those things that I think about now and can't figure out why I didn't think of it before I started...
Travis has some wicked skills, and that is a really good method. More thought for how to build the table for my grinder since I still don't have one yet.

Back