The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

I think it's incredible how you are able to make the metal change colour by hitting it for a few minutes. But then you make it glow bright again so you can it colour-change hit it again. :unsure:

It reminds me of golf, where folks hit a ball into a small hole, just so that can take it out and then try to hit it into another one! 🕺

Nice work. I quick question if I may, I had a parishiner in my last church who sold wrought iron chandaliers pokers and such but he worked with tourches (he had a forge but hadn't used it in years). Is there an advantage of using either?

I think it's incredible how you are able to make the metal change colour by hitting it for a few minutes. But then you make it glow bright again so you can it colour-change hit it again. :unsure:

It reminds me of golf, where folks hit a ball into a small hole, just so that can take it out and then try to hit it into another one! 🕺
What's really cool is when a Smith gets a good rythm going on certain processes you can actually see the hammer blow ADD heat to the metal. Its probably super hard to film but I have seen it and its awesome.

Nice work. I quick question if I may, I had a parishiner in my last church who sold wrought iron chandaliers pokers and such but he worked with tourches (he had a forge but hadn't used it in years). Is there an advantage of using either?
Yes and no. They both heat the steel/iron so you can move it. The amount of steel it heats at a time is where you gain or lose the advantage.

A gas forge like mine pretty much heats anything that is inside of it. If I stick a long rod all the way to the back, I will have about 18 inches of hot steel at whatever temperature it is set at. So if I have a spot 8 inches from the end that I want to bend, I end up heating the entire end up to where I want to bend it.

A coal forge has a bit smaller hot spot and allows for a more localized heat. It is harder to control the temperature though, and requires constant maintaining of the fire.
The gas forge can be set to keep a consistent temperature by controlling the amount of gas going through the burner. Your piece won't get hotter than the set temperature. A coal forge will cool and heat depending on the amount of air going through the fire pot. It is very hard to keep it consistent and will burn right through your steel if you aren't paying attention.

A torch can get very hot, but is easier to control the amount of heat than a coal forge. You can also isolate small spots much easier than either forge. It is harder to heat large areas however due to the smaller more concentrated flame.

So they all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Yes and no. They both heat the steel/iron so you can move it. The amount of steel it heats at a time is where you gain or lose the advantage.

A gas forge like mine pretty much heats anything that is inside of it. If I stick a long rod all the way to the back, I will have about 18 inches of hot steel at whatever temperature it is set at. So if I have a spot 8 inches from the end that I want to bend, I end up heating the entire end up to where I want to bend it.

A coal forge has a bit smaller hot spot and allows for a more localized heat. It is harder to control the temperature though, and requires constant maintaining of the fire.
The gas forge can be set to keep a consistent temperature by controlling the amount of gas going through the burner. Your piece won't get hotter than the set temperature. A coal forge will cool and heat depending on the amount of air going through the fire pot. It is very hard to keep it consistent and will burn right through your steel if you aren't paying attention.

A torch can get very hot, but is easier to control the amount of heat than a coal forge. You can also isolate small spots much easier than either forge. It is harder to heat large areas however due to the smaller more concentrated flame.

So they all have their advantages and disadvantages.
Thanks again for the knowledge.

Back