The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

Did a little trial today. Took 3 files and stacked them on top of each other, tack welded them together, and stuck them in the forge.
Got that forge weld set then folded the billet in half and forge welded again. Then I twisted the billet and flattened it down some.
I cooled it in water which made my grain grow so that was a bad thing, but I cut half way through the billet and hammered it the rest of the way and my forge weld held.
Took the billet to the anvil with an 8 pound sledge hammer to the side of it so hard it started breaking the edges and the only separation is at the twist where it wasnt flattened all the way.
So overall I made a pretty successful forge weld.

Did a little trial today. Took 3 files and stacked them on top of each other, tack welded them together, and stuck them in the forge.
Got that forge weld set then folded the billet in half and forge welded again. Then I twisted the billet and flattened it down some.
I cooled it in water which made my grain grow so that was a bad thing, but I cut half way through the billet and hammered it the rest of the way and my forge weld held.
Took the billet to the anvil with an 8 pound sledge hammer to the side of it so hard it started breaking the edges and the only separation is at the twist where it wasnt flattened all the way.
So overall I made a pretty successful forge weld.

I have absolutely no idea what you said...but I am pretty sure it was awesome! Glad to see the new forge working out for you!

I keep making my son read your posts because HE thinks he can forge weld all sorts of random chunks of metal into the coolest things using his fire pit forge and my old broken hammer. I'm not sure what he thinks he is going to use as an anvil because we don't have one. Needless to say he has nothing on you.

A sledgehammer head mounted intonation good heavy stump can make a basic anvil but doesn't have much mass behind it. Can still be used it just takes longer to move steel because you are fighting it more.

Right now he is boiling his Dodge neon engine in a trash can full of drano, heated by his fire pit forge. I told him a REAL man would make soap with the the peanut oil I used to fry last year's turkey with the trash can drano when he's done boiling the engine. The kid just can't leave well enough alone. He says he's rebuilding the engine, i think he just wants an excuse to have another fire in the back yard.

@CBLindsay If he really wants to start forging Chris, he can get started for little to no money. A hole in the ground or a wooden box filled with dirt and a bit of a pit hollowed out is all he would need for a forge. A piece of pipe coming into the side of the pit to hook an old hair dryer onto makes a servicable blower. Charcoal is cheap fuel, yet burns hot and clean. A 1 to 2 pound yardsale ball peen hammer. (or both) And an 8 or 10 pound sledgehammer head in a stump or log piece for an anvil.

Hollow out a bit of a hole in the log end to stick the hammer head in keeping one face up, fill the pit with charcoal and light it, mound it up over the coals and turn the hair dryer on, stick the end of the steel into the hot core of the charcoal pile, pull it out when orange and beat it with the ball peen.
Same thing I did when I made GearNoir's knife for the exchange, only I used coal in a metal pot with a hand crank blower, and a small anvil instead of a hammer head.

As far as a complaint that the hammer head would be too small for an anvil, you are only going to move as much area as your swung hammer head will cover. As long as you have that much, you are good. Charlie Lewis makes amazing razors on a post anvil. A piece of 3 inch diameter solid round stock stood on end.

You really can do a lot with very little in this hobby.

Right now he is boiling his Dodge neon engine in a trash can full of drano, heated by his fire pit forge. I told him a REAL man would make soap with the the peanut oil I used to fry last year's turkey with the trash can drano when he's done boiling the engine. The kid just can't leave well enough alone. He says he's rebuilding the engine, i think he just wants an excuse to have another fire in the back yard.
Reminds me of stories I heard working in the burn unit

Just watched the forge video. I hope you have some good shielding in the gonadal region when you use it. Those flames look like they shoot out pretty far.

Back