The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

Not sure I've seen a forge burner without a flare. that's interesting. Sounds like a pretty good deal on the wool too
This is a first for me as well. Although many are made with a MIG tip also. Those are about 35-40 thousandths of an inch diameter hole. This one is only going to be 28 thousandths. From my understanding it works on the pressure increase as opposed to the volume. I might be wrong but that's my understanding of it.
I've also usually only heard that a 3/4 inch burner should be kept to around 350 cubic inches of internal space. This is supposed to be able to take 750 cubic inches to welding heat in around 3 minutes. So I'm pretty excited to get it going.

Well I didn't have a clue what you said, but I still enjoy following along for some reason. It's like hanging out with a bunch of guys with safety boots and hard hats and pretending like you belong there and wishing you got a hard hat too. ;)

As someone who forges, I can say Shawn's taken on a big project and it looks like it's going to be a great forge. There's usually some fine tuning involved with getting the forge to run right, but after that you've saved a bundle of cash by making it yourself. You'll have to take a short video of it working when it's done so we can all see it.

I couldn’t be happier to have you renew Shawn. You do great work and having you as one of the cadre hobbyist brings our forum a huge value. I love the strop hanger you made for me and strongly encourage anyone with an idea in their head, “I wish I had a ....” to reach out to you so you can help them bring those wishes to reality.

We (@Cvargo @HandleBarberDave and I ) have some ideas we’ve been kicking around to make the TSC hobbyist program even better, I think this next year is going to be exciting.

Thanks guys! It is the continued support that I get that made me know I wanted to renew. Not even for things bought/sold, just on little projects and showing things I'm tinkering with. The feedback and encouragement makes me even more proud of what I'm doing. So a big thanks to all of you.

That is so very much better than the old shoelace that I used over a doorhinge pin when I was using straights.

This is the one he did for me. He took the idea I had rattling around my head, sketched and engineered it to perfection.
I attached this to my wall using a couple 3 prong picture hangers so I can slide it of one wall and attach it to the other without making new holes each time. It works great, I’ve got 6 strops hanging on it, and I can switch be7them with very little effort

Yep, those are the 2 I was thinking of. Trying to decide where I would put one and if need to get Shawn to make one. I'm limited for locations in a small bathroom. Still mulling options. Thanks

Not to mention the awesome knives Shawn makes...both hunting and kitchen knives! Oh and evidently Shawn has the market cornered on cigar cutters!

Might be able to get that little video of the new forge going soon. I got a package in the mail today that has (I'm hoping) the last few materials I need for it.

5 pounds of Kast-o-lite refractory. 1 1/2 pounds of Metrikote reflective ceramic coating. and a couple 1/4 inch 10,000 psi needle valves for the burner.
Already have the ceramic wool insulation. Now I just need to get it all put together....

Back