The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

Finally got some good time spent on some projects. I got the two cutters that I am waaaayyyyyyy behind on almost ready to go. Waiting on finishes to dry mostly now.
Also got the handle on and first 2 coats of finish on the kitchen knife I am working on.
View attachment 943
xRDXhr7.gif

Been a while for any updates.

Got the kitchen knife back from the guy I just sent it too. Making a small adjustment to the handle. Going to put a custom finger groove in to fit his particular grip style and hand placement. He told me he has about 10 hours with it in his hand cutting so far. That's just the time actually cutting, not any other prep stuff.
He has definitely put this to the test for me. Onions, tomatoes, all kinds of meat, slicing, chopping.... He trimmed the fat off a steak and basically did an HHT with the fat. Sliced it clean. He also cut pineapples to test it on the thick tough skin. No issues. He filleted a fish with it, and he even trimmed the bones on some lamb chops!

I asked him how many times he has needed to steel it and he told me everything has been done on the original edge I gave it to him with. He has named it Excalibur.
Now his dad and his cooking partner both want one! So anyone wondering how this 1095 steel I'm using will hold up, there is a pretty good bit of testing for you.

I also have a cutter almost finished. Re-sprayed the handle after this photo, now just final edge and cutting the post to length. This one is made from cherry.

And NO Mike.... I'm still not going on that show!

Thanks everyone!!!

Got the body started on a new forge. Was cleaning up some stuff at work today and was able to salvage a piece of 10 inch diameter pipe. My current forge is too short for much of what I am making now, so I'm working on increasing the size and building a new burner to properly heat it. Still have a ways to go with it, but the main shell is completed.

Got the ceramic wool ordered today. 24 inch X 4 foot roll of 2 inch thick for $38. Will be here tomorrow actually on their standard shipping. Can't complain with that.
Also got my burner pretty much done other than the orifice hole. Forgot to order the #70 drill that I needed to do that. The bottom sleeve will get welded onto the forge body for adjustment and holding. Mike (the guy that designed the burner) says I won't need a flare for this style, so it is just heavy wall 3/4 inch pipe and the burner orifice is adjustable in the end of the mixing tube for tuning.

Not sure I've seen a forge burner without a flare. that's interesting. Sounds like a pretty good deal on the wool too

Back