The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

Almost done. Got some final touch-ups and finishing the edge and it is ready to go to it's new home.
One thing about this 1095 steel, it is freaking hard! Been most of the day with a diamond stone just to get the bevel on. It just laughs at the stone. Plus side is that it should hold that edge for a very long time.

Excellent!

The one I got for Christmas has been used a few times now. It’s handled everything from bread to relatively hard squashes with ease. Edge is holding nicely so far and the weight is very light so there’s no extra stress on the hand/wrist.

The one I screwed up is maple. The finished one is cherry.

Well...I suck at identifying wood grain. But either way the knife and the...sheath?...are absolutely beautiful! And if it is that hard...I am sure there will be no issue keeping that blade!

Shawn, they are absolutely gorgeous. Perfection. My wife will love this!
1f44d.png

Now that's a knife! Great work Shawn! I can appreciate all that went into bringing it to a finished piece. Heck I haven't even finished my first knife yet or that other think I'm making you. Some day......

Thanks everybody!

It's been way too cold to do anything in my shop. Negative 7 today and supposed to be that tomorrow too, then be 52 on Monday......

Saw a friend of mine yesterday and he put in an order for one so he can use it in a cooking competition coming up in the middle of April, so I really hope the weather holds out for a little bit so I can get some stuff caught up and get that going.

You notice the band-aid? That was from the first test and not paying attention....... Eeet weel cut!

I was going to post in the murphy thread, but it cut so clean you can't see anything even though I bled like a stuck pig.

You notice the band-aid? That was from the first test and not paying attention....... Eeet weel cut!

I was going to post in the murphy thread, but it cut so clean you can't see anything even though I bled like a stuck pig.
Blood would have shown up on camera ??

Here I thought you were going to throw the paper towel up in the air and when it hit the knife it would slice on its own.

Executive Protection guys hate this movie by the way
1f604.png

Thanks guys!

And Mike..... E P guys aren't the only ones that hate that movie.
1f604.png

Roger that Shawn! I will say though, the principle you protect can be as difficult as Whitney was. You want to protect them and that's what you are there for but they only see it as a box......well yes, it is a box to keep you safe
1f606.png
The best is when the "good idea fairy" shows up and the principle decides they know how best to run the protection detail
1f60e.png

My wife is using it as I type. The picture is deceiving: it's very shiny; the camera picked up microdust on the blade. It's a keeper. Thanks, Shawn!

Back