The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

yeah. seems like you gotta walk a fine line to get a hardened blade with no cracks and having to grind away excess hardened steel. can't wait to see the pictures

Getting there. Not going to say who it's for yet, because I know it's a surprise for his wife and not sure if she checks on here or not, but I think he's going to be happy. Super light weight and great feel in the hand. The walnut piece he picked from the blanks I had is going to look really good when finished.
Got the final grinding done and up to an extra fine scotchbrite finish, and the handle epoxy is curing now. Should be able to get that shaped later this evening and ready to be sprayed and honed.

I for one know that’s going to be one happy customer! I love mine!

Interesting that it’s a “gift” for the customer’s wife...I guess it’s safe as long as the note doesn’t say - “Looking forward to some great sandwiches!”
1f602.png

Not the best photos but the handle is on, shaped, and sprayed. Still have to wait for it to dry to see if it needs steel wooled and another coat.
Nice and light. The spine is at 2.8mm (just under 1/8 inch) and the unsharpened edge is 0.48mm. (18 thousandths of an inch.)

Still have to hone it and mark it, but waiting for the finish to cure, so that will be tomorrow.

Not the best photos but the handle is on, shaped, and sprayed. Still have to wait for it to dry to see if it needs steel wooled and another coat.
Nice and light. The spine is at 2.8mm (just under 1/8 inch) and the unsharpened edge is 0.48mm. (18 thousandths of an inch.)

Still have to hone it and mark it, but waiting for the finish to cure, so that will be tomorrow.

Nice.........

Thanks Dave. It's definitely one that I like. It's kind of a santuku/gyuto hybrid. Has the wider profile, rounded tip, and flat edge of a santuku, but more length, slight belly towards the tip, and a finer tip like a gyuto.
Gives you plenty of flat edge for chopping vegtables etc... yet the belly at the tip will allow for a better rocking or drag cut than a traditional santuku. The finer tip lets you slice into something easily, but the added mass behind it from the shape makes it stronger and more durable. The added length also helps for slicing larger cuts of meat. Keeping it thin helps there as well while also reducing fatigue in long prep sessions.
Overall it seems to make for a very nice "do it all" type of blade.

As long as I can source wood for the blanks, it shouldn't be a problem. I have a few places to check for it.

Did an "oops" that really ticked me off today.... I got asked to do a kydex cover for that kitchen knife. I thought that making a Saya would be much nicer. Since we have all that work into the blade, and it is a Japanese design, why not go more traditional and do something nice as well.

Took a piece of curly maple that I had with some beautiful figuring in it, routed the slot out for the blade, sandwiched it together, turned a dowel for it in the drill press, got it all rough cut and ready. Knife fit good. Grain looks stunning. Should be good to go right?
Went out to do all my final shaping on it and started sanding away.......
Turns out I screwed up when I put one of my marks on and ground right into the blade slot...... So after I got back from doing my paperwork, it was back down to the father in laws to make another one. New one is cherry though. Most of my wood is scale size and those were the only pieces I had on hand big enough to make it from.

I learned my lesson though, and actually cut out one side before I glued them this time. Now I know where to grind to....

I hate when i make mistakes like that. Probably a good thing you had to go do paperwork though. gave you some time to cool off so you could get refocused.

Bad luck Shawn...but I know you won't make that mistake again! I am sure everything will be good in the end!

Got the new one just about done. 2 coats of Danish oil on it so far. I'll check to see if it needs another in the morning and drill the hole for the pin and it should be good to go.

Very Nice Shawn! That's maple right? I really like the look of it and that grain is beautiful!

Back