The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

Um yeah Shawn. Think I will be needing a new chef’s knife. We should talk soon. Do you use stainless or carbon for those

Thanks guys!

Kyle, I forgot to answer you, sorry. It's a western grind. They seem to be more popular and since I'm still working on perfecting them, I don't want to throw too many things into it. So just sticking with one grind for the moment.

Sharp's, I use high carbon steel for all of my blades. I'm not set up to be able to heat treat stainless steel. It generally needs a cryo treatment and a better atmosphere control than I am capable of doing in my shed. I need to stick with "simple" steels since they can be just oil/water quenched and then oven tempered. Some alloys need zero atmosphere, cryo quench, salt bath soaks, or some other kind of complexity that I'm not capable of yet.

Thanks guys!

Kyle, I forgot to answer you, sorry. It's a western grind. They seem to be more popular and since I'm still working on perfecting them, I don't want to throw too many things into it. So just sticking with one grind for the moment.

Sharp's, I use high carbon steel for all of my blades. I'm not set up to be able to heat treat stainless steel. It generally needs a cryo treatment and a better atmosphere control than I am capable of doing in my shed. I need to stick with "simple" steels since they can be just oil/water quenched and then oven tempered. Some alloys need zero atmosphere, cryo quench, salt bath soaks, or some other kind of complexity that I'm not capable of yet.

yeah the western is a lot more popular and way more user friendly but the eastern is wicked sharp when done right. You should give it a go eventually but definitely stick to what you're learning now before you try it.

Got this one almost finished. Still need to steel wool the handle and put another coat or two of finish on, but it's almost there.

great. I am old school when it comes to kitchen knives. Love carbon. What is the wood on this one? Expect a PM in a few weeks when things slow down for me.

Did my first go at a kydex sheath. I think (know) I like working with this better than leather so far.
This one is designed to be worn inside the waistband and has a "tuckable" feature to it.

That's sharp
1f44d.png

It better not be! Don’t need a sheath for the sheath...
1f60b.png

Good stuff Shawn. Does the knife kind of “lock” into the sheath? Or just a really close fit?

Thanks Chris. You can see in this photo where I circled it in red where it is formed down around the ricasso. I played with the placement of the rivet to make it snug, but not so tight that you had to fight with it to draw it. Since it is a concealment sheath and not a hunting/camping sheath, it can afford to be a little more relaxed on the draw, but it still has a positive "catch" to it.

Back