The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

You are missing out if you've never seen Forged in Fire. I'll never go on the show because I'm a slow craftsman type and hate to be rushed to get something done.

I know I haven't been updating much but here is a little bit of what has been going on.
Today I got the quench and temper done on two tobacco cutter blades made from 1095.
And I also finally got around to quenching and tempering some straight razor blades that were loooooonnnngggg overdue for this step.

I have done some more research, and talked with some professional knife/razor makers. I was considering going to 52100 for kitchen knives but found out the heat treat was more finicky and complex that I felt comfortable trying with my current setup. The 1095 seems to be a better option at this point. It is proving to be a very nice steel to work with both in the forging and finishing processes, and heat treats quite well with what I have. It isn't as stain resistant as 52100, but offers a similar edge retention quality.

Since I'm actually getting "customers" at this point, I feel it's more professional to offer a known steel over an unknown recycled steel.
For the price point, the ease of working, higher carbon content, and professional recommendation, I think that this is going to be my best move at this point.

But enough rambling, I know you guys just want to see pictures.

Thanks guys. hopefully these can become a more regular thing. They require a lot more finesse and planning than the knives do, so getting them right is a steeper learning curve. I'm getting there though. Hopefully the feedback on these will help me figure out where I need to improve and get a more streamlined system for making them.

They are looking great! Lol I’m not sure when I last posted in my Hobbyist thread. I’ve neglected it for far too long.

Dang the grinds on those straights look so tricky. You seem to have it down though Shawn. Glad you posted some pictures. You punch those holes while the metal is hot don't you?
1f606.png

Thanks guys!

Eric, you definitely need to post more!

Mike, you think your knife grind was tricky, wait until you try one of these haha! And I drill my holes before quenching, I don't punch them. Punch is more traditional, but drilling is more accurate. I do them after grinding my profile so that if I decide to change anything I can still keep them centered where I want them and not have to work around them.

Those look really good. Are the SRs commissioned or just learning pieces? If the latter I would be more than happy to give one a test run if you like. Just let me know.

Yes and yes.
1f602.png
They have homes, but are being taken with the knowledge that I've no where near perfected the process yet. I do have another that I started on as a kamisori type, but have to re-make as the twist isn't right. I was thinking about finishing it anyhow just to practice the grinds. If I can fit it in and get it finished I may just do a passaround or something if there are a few that are interested. Either way I can send it to you at least if you are.

Beautiful work man! What hardness are you able to get the 1095? I hear it's a bit challenging to get it to 60+ and 58-59 seems to be the norm.

Beautiful work man! What hardness are you able to get the 1095? I hear it's a bit challenging to get it to 60+ and 58-59 seems to be the norm.
According to the charts I have, proper quench should put 1095 at 67hrc. Tempering at 300 degrees puts you at 64hrc, and 61hrc at 400 degrees.
5160 that I have been using by comparison is only 62hrc straight from the quench, 60 with a 300 degree temper and 59 with a 400 degree temper.
The two cutter blades I just did at 350 degrees last night and a machinist file will still skate off them. I believe most good files average around 60 to 62 hrc. So they should be right in that area right now. Guessing, I would probably say at 60.

A good set of hardness testing files is on my short list of things to get so I have a better gauge of where they really are, but those aren't cheap for a good set. Something I need, but haven't been able to get yet.

Those look amazing! I have to imagine razors are an “apex skill” for a worker of metals.

That's pretty solid. That edge should hold for quite a while then. Kudos to the move! I am hoping come February when things settle down better for me I can put in an order or two.

Thanks Rich. They are definitely not something you want to try for your first go-round. There is a lot of finesse to them and even more so when you are doing them by hand and not with a special grinding machine.

Tom, I'll still be here ready and waiting.

Yes and yes.
1f602.png
They have homes, but are being taken with the knowledge that I've no where near perfected the process yet. I do have another that I started on as a kamisori type, but have to re-make as the twist isn't right. I was thinking about finishing it anyhow just to practice the grinds. If I can fit it in and get it finished I may just do a passaround or something if there are a few that are interested. Either way I can send it to you at least if you are.

I'd say go ahead and finish it. It's still good practice and definitely count me in for a pass around or just a solo review. I had a traditional kamisori I restored a few years ago. It was wicked sharp and I still new to the hobby so I passed it along. Really wish I hadn't. Out of curiosity did you do a western grind or try the eastern grind? I'll try it either way

Got this one almost finished. Still need to steel wool the handle and put another coat or two of finish on, but it's almost there.

Back