The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

Thanks guys! And Don... If I get a message from Kevin saying he never got it...
1f61c.png

Thanks Rob! I'm still waiting for you to come start your own. Got the 8 pound one handed hammer all ready for you to start swinging.
1f60b.png

A little work done over the weekend. Besides finally having the chance to hay my yard that is.......

The bottom one is actually going to be taken down to about 5/8, so it won't be as meaty.

Very nice work Shawn. The top razor has a really cool shape, that’s going to be a winner. A pointer for future endeavors...make a longer tail (two fingers), nobody makes long tails but everyone wants one. I have a DePews razor whose tail is every bit of three fingers ...longer than the blade itself. Three fingers is a bit long.

Got out and did a little work today. Got a little bit accomplished before the mosquitoes tried carrying me away.

I built a tool rest for my grinder to allow me to more accurately grind razors.

And actually did some grinding. It is still thick, even for heat treating, but the bugs were just getting too bad. For proof of concept though, I think I got it set fairly well and should be able to do these pretty consistent now.

Very nice, Shawn! That line looks dead straight. I can't wait to see how they progress.

Still a little cleaning and refining to do, but it is quenched, tempered, and just about ready to put a bevel on.

With my Tanifuji for size reference

Edge is actually centered

About a half hollow grind

Back