The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

I agree! I'm amazed!
And you too. Sneaking a comment in while I'm typing... Geesh...
1f61c.png

Wow! Well done sir!

It has an interesting profile (or maybe it’s just the camera) the spine looks a bit curved...the Reaper is born! I think it looks great.

Wow! Well done sir!

It has an interesting profile (or maybe it’s just the camera) the spine looks a bit curved...the Reaper is born! I think it looks great.

Thanks Cris. It actually is just a bit curved. It acted like when they put clay on a Samurai sword and quench it. The spine being thicker held a little more heat and cooled slower. The edge cooling quicker drew it into a bit of a frown. So I straightened the edge and grind lines today, but kind of like the curve in the spine. Made it a little tricky to straighten the grind lines though haha.

From an outsiders perspective, making knives always seemed pretty easy. You just need the right tools and some knowhow. And please don’t take offense, I’m oversimplifying. But I have never understood the skill involved in making a straight razor, so thin and so perfect. It’s an art I just can’t even comprehend. So yes, what you are doing with that steel is quite amazing. I’m in Awe!

I agree with you that knives are definitely easier haha. There are some tricks to knives when you get into the details, but there is a lot more to work with and correct a mistake. Getting and maintaining the correct geometry and profile on a straight is a bit trickier. And there really isn't any room for correction if you come into a grinding belt too heavy, or warp it in heat treating. Those can ruin a lot of work.

And thank you. No I didn't take offense, and I appreciate the kind words.

I went out today and re-ground it just a little bit. I was a little wider at the toe than I was at the heel. So I narrowed it down and made sure my hollow grind was still correct. Then I did the last bit of profiling that needed done and took it to the buffer to polish it. I think I'm still going to add some jimps to it, but it's ready for scales and honing. Scales are going to be the white oak it is on in the photo and have a black walnut wedge.

I forgot, when were we going to get the Shawn and Eric straight/brush TSC set?

Really amazing work. I don't know what equipment you have but I seem to recall you having pretty basic grinders that you have made jigs for...that is old school. From the videos I've seen many of the newer razor manufacturers use a double wheel set up to produce an easy and uniform hollow grind (I am eventually going to pick up an old WEN hollow grinder). If you are NOT using a double wheel set up then you are a jedi master.

I will definately be among the first to stand in line for a custom reazor from YOUR shed.

Thank you Chris.
Nope... No fancy double wheel grinders here unfortunately. One round contact wheel on my belt grinder with a small worktable I cobbled together to rest the razor on. No guide other than marking my center line and where I want the plunge to stop. Hand grind trying to keep it leaned at the right angle all by hand, then flip it over and try to do it the same on the other side.

Back