The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

Now that I've got it sort of figured out, we might be able to do something. I'll have to talk to Eric and the bosses, so I'm not promising just yet. We will have to see how everything works out.

And thank you!

Any word yet?

How bout now?

Now?

?

Changing my mind on our trade now
1f602.png
1f602.png
J/K Awesome if this all works out.

So do you have a press to do that? Did you buy it or make it? I think it is neat that you are making everything. Hope to join the hobbyist page soon I like your work I enjoy Blacksmithing too.

So do you have a press to do that? Did you buy it or make it? I think it is neat that you are making everything. Hope to join the hobbyist page soon I like your work I enjoy Blacksmithing too.

Welcome KB! Cool corkscrew!

Hi KB. Press for what? You mean just a smithing press? No, everything is hand hammered and hand ground on a belt grinder. Nice clean work on that corkscrew.

Shawn...don't know if you saw this or not. It's posted over at the Maggard Razors site. It's a look into Straight Razor making by Raulf Aust. Very interesting!

http://www.maggardrazors.com/visiting-solingen-ralf-aust-straight-razor-manufacturer/

Thanks Don. Nice to see a couple of his machines. Interesting thing is he does nothing but finish grind them. I never realized that his blades were nothing more than a machine stamped blank that he ordered from someone else already heat treated even. I honestly thought he did more of the work himself.

I do like his grinders though. Would certainly make them a lot easier than doing it the way I do.

Thanks Don. Nice to see a couple of his machines. Interesting thing is he does nothing but finish grind them. I never realized that his blades were nothing more than a machine stamped blank that he ordered from someone else already heat treated even. I honestly thought he did more of the work himself.

I do like his grinders though. Would certainly make them a lot easier than doing it the way I do.

So what I hear you say is that your razors are better than his! I'm sold...TSC blades for everyone...Chris and Chad are paying!
1f60e.png

So what I hear you say is that your razors are better than his! I'm sold...TSC blades for everyone...Chris and Chad are paying!
1f60e.png

NO, no, no, no. I am not claiming to be better than anyone, and I don't want to come across that way.
What I said was I thought he did more of the work on the blades himself. I didn't know that he didn't even do the heat treating in house. What he does do in house though, he does an excellent job at. His grinds are very clean and even, and his scales are very well done.

NO, no, no, no. I am not claiming to be better than anyone, and I don't want to come across that way.
What I said was I thought he did more of the work on the blades himself. I didn't know that he didn't even do the heat treating in house. What he does do in house though, he does an excellent job at. His grinds are very clean and even, and his scales are very well done.

Yeah...like I said...your razors are better than his...?

Well, it is ready for honing and a test. Then a few final polishing touch-ups and it is done.

Back