The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Shawn's forging shed

Nice skills there Shawn. ImItoo impatient to do work like you and Eric......wait isn't my strong suit.

Trust me.... Patience is NOT my strong suit. I couldn't even begin to tell you how many things I've had to go back and fix or start over because I got too impatient to do it right the first time.

Cutter is ready for final honing and final assembly. The board took a little darker color than the scales, but hopefully it will be alright.

I also made this little..... thingy... I don't know exactly what you would want to call it, but I made it haha. I have this idea in my head for a way to make some swiveling hooks for a certain someone to hang strops on. He needs them to fold out of the way when not in use due to limited space. Since I've never made hinges or anything I've been trying to figure out the best way for me to make it work. So I came up with this idea. Just did one cold for proof of concept, but I think it's going to work really well when the metal is hot.

Great stuff Shawn. I still can't get used to your new username I still refer to you as *sfeile*

I happened to be the lucky guy who won Shawn’s “imperfect PIF” and the knife arrived in my hands yesterday. Two things stand out to me ...the design and finish. The functional design and feel of the handle provides for two possible grips (in my hand) both very comfortable and balanced. The shape and grind of the blade are more than basic, there are little touches the show purposeful and skillful work. The finish From end to end is very good and Boy is the blade shiny.

I am impresed. And quite happy to have this in my possession.

I happened to be the lucky guy who won Shawn’s “imperfect PIF” and the knife arrived in my hands yesterday. Two things stand out to me ...the design and finish. The functional design and feel of the handle provides for two possible grips (in my hand) both very comfortable and balanced. The shape and grind of the blade are more than basic, there are little touches the show purposeful and skillful work. The finish From end to end is very good and Boy is the blade shiny.

I am impresed. And quite happy to have this in my possession.

Hey are you playing bingo???

Awesome blade!

For you guys that like seeing the process, here are a few I took today.

Got my starting pieces cut.

Fire lit and forge heated up.

Tools at the ready. Pickup tongs for moving my "door" and getting the piece out of the forge enough to grab it easily with the flat jaw tongs, and the 8 pound mini-beater to do some heavy moving.

First piece in the fire and "door" closed to get a good heat throughout.

I'll get some more pictures of the billet progression later, but I'm taking a much needed break. I injured my elbow last week and swinging that 8 pound hammer is not really helping. Not to mention it is pretty stinking warm out there right now.
So a little rest, many fluids, and back to work soon.

Thanks Shawn for sharing! I love seeing progress pics or pics that show a process.

So I went out in the "get it done" mode today. I completely forgot to take pictures before I started grinding. Anyway, I forged close to final shape, then cleaned up the shape on the belt grinder along with removing the scale. Now they are ready for putting my marks on to get an even thickness, center, and know where my plunge lines are going to be.

And this is why you wear a respirator when grinding....

Just for comparison, after a quick wash.

Grinding dust gives you permanent tattoos?! Do you get to pick or could you randomly end up with The Fonz on your forearm?

Back