The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

20190830_144301.jpg

Perfectly Natural Citrus Mint. This is another criminally underrated artisan IMO. Soap comes in a 3oz hard puck and sells for a very reasonable price (under $10) making this a great value.

Scent is mostly Mint with a Citrus background, nice and Natural EO scented soap with a cooling punch.

Performance is very good but does take a bit of work to get the right consistancy but is worth the effort. Have been impressed with this artisan from day one and have 2 different formulas from Perfectly Natural both are completely different beasts. Managed a DFS that was SOOO refreshing its hard to put into words.

20190830_144901.jpg

20190831_205203.jpg

Tiki Kilted Tiki for this shave. Scent is Scotch Whiskey but it comes across as a fresh clean scent rather than MT Strong & Scottish which is peaty and dirty. This soap comes in a HUGE tub with somewhere around 10oz of soap that has a green tint.

Performance is decent but i think the Vegan Tiki formula is far superior IMO.
20190831_205624.jpg

20190901_114921.jpg

Stone Cottage Champaka for this shave. For some reason i have not been that impressed with any of the Stone Cottage products i have tried, the bath soaps i have are barely scented and smell mostly like clay, while the creams are stronger than the bath soaps they are still on the light side IMO.

Scent of Champaka is Nag Champa and smells like incense. This one and the Rose are the strongest of the 5 samples. While i like this scent it could be a bit stronger for my taste.

Performance is just OK it lathers well but feels like a basic coconut oil soap IMO and feel like the forumla could use a little improvment but thats just my opinion. Finished off with Siliski F&M Post Shave Oil which is a great product that is sadly not being made anymore but have heard Andrew has some new things in the works.
20190901_115438.jpg

20190902_120752.jpg

Razorock SMDF for this shave. Nice unique camphor green tobacco scent. Soap made a decent lather and managed a swell shave. RR soaps can be a bit hit or miss but this one went well. Finished off with Vintage Roman Brio which smells similar to Clubman.
20190902_121224.jpg
20190902_121227.jpg

CRAZY LATHER!

20190904_192131.jpg

Southern Witchcrafts Druantia for this shave. Really like this artisan as they have interesting unique scents, top notch Vegan soap base, and a affordable price.

Scent of Druantia could be considered a Fall/Winter scent, it is warm and almost has a Yeast charachteristic like some kind of Gingerbread or something very unusual and unique.

Soap lathers well and can hold a decent amount of water without breaking down. Managed a DFS with little irritation which was soothed by the Proraso Woods & Spice Balm which also has a unique scent that paired well.
20190904_193846.jpg
20190904_193850.jpg

20190906_182159(0).jpg

Adagio Road Covonut Lime Verbana for yesterdays soap choice. Ordered this unknown soap from Etsy a few days ago for a whopping $6.74 shipped, soap comes in a 2oz puck wrapped in paper and shipping was super fast. Have had this one on my radar for a while now and finally decided to pull the trigger. This soap is loaded with good ingredients and is made with Lamb Tallow.

Scent is Coconut Lime Verbena and is about medium strength about 6/10 which is plenty strong for this type of scent IMO.

Soap lathers well and produces a stable lather that has the consistancy of a cream with no bubbles but rather a thick dense texture. Will need to experiment further with this unknown artisan but so far i have no regrets and am quite happy with this product. Managed a decent shave and finished off with Myrsol Emulsion leaving the skin soothed and refreshed.

Hope yall had a great shave!
20190905_195409.jpg
20190905_195412.jpg

SHAVE OF THE DAY 9/6
20190906_182542.jpg

Ellegant Rose English Rose was the soap choice for this evening. Discovered this artisan at last years Maggard Meet Up and was so impressed i later went to their site to try other scents and products. Very good stuff!

Scent of English Rose is of course Rose but with a Geranium background giving it a sharp fresh boost. A very well done scent IMO which quickly became one of my favorite Rose scents.

Performance is excellent IMO and delivers everything one would want in a shave soap in Spades. Lathers easily and can hold a good amount of water without breaking down. Slickness thru the roof and leaves the skin feeling great afterwards, no issues with touch ups without visable lather. This is one i highly recommend and the folks at Ellegant Rose are great people to do business with.

Hope everyone had a swell shave!
20190906_183050.jpg

20190906_183053.jpg

Im not sure if it is still available or not as it was one of the few Shannon's Scents that Maggards did not have. Sent her a email and picked it up at the Maggard Meet Up, it is a sweet Rose scent that is somewhat similar to Mystic Water Jasmine but a bit different, both have a very sweet floral profile.
I love a good rose scent. I'll ask her about it. Thanks for the tip.

20190908_210233.jpg

Tiki Vegan Fougere for yesterdays soap choice. Have had this one in the queue for a while and mentioning it the other day pushed it up to the front of the line.

Scent of Fougere is a bright fresh Greenery with a touch of Patchouli adding some depth without being noticable. One of the best Bright Green scents i have come across and really like this one.

Performance is excellent which is surprising considering the short ingredient list. Soap produces a thick lather and likes a good amount of water providing slickness thru the roof while rinsing clean afterwards. Would put this base in a similar category as Country Club For Men or Southern Witchcrafts making it one of my top Vegan soap bases. The shave was as close to perfect as could be, finished off with Stirling Ozark Mountain Balm.

Hope everyone managed similar results!
20190908_210822.jpg
20190908_210843.jpg

20190909_140342.jpg

Recieved thus Soapy Science Pura Rosa soap im the mail this morning, after their 50% off Sale i couldnt resist as have heard good things about this soap base made by a teenage girl for her Science class. It is labeled as a 5 oz soap but contained 6.8oz without the tub so well over the advertised weight, which is worth taking notes so in case there is any water evaporation there will still be WAY more than enough soap. A nice touch IMO and one that did not go unnoticed, plus their shipping was very reasonable as well.

Scent of Pura Rosa is of course Rose and is a soapy kind of Rose that smells nice and can imagine this one will grow on me over time to perhaps compete with the top Rose scents in the den (CBL BRO, Ellegant Rose, QCS Rose Otto, WTF Zu Zu's Petals, etc.)

Performance was quite impressive especially for a soap made by a young girl and not someome that has been perfecting the craft of soapmaking for years. The soap has a harder texture than many modern artisans and has a firm putty consistancy and a somewhat translucent white color which gives it a different appearance to most soaps. Scooped a small bit and bowl lathered, thankfully there was no negative reaction to the Rose scent at all and am very happy about that. Have been having trouble with my brushes latley despite constant cleanings and soaks in HOT Dawn dish soap (to cut thru butters/oils) so the lather was a bit rough. despite these issues that have nothing to do with the soap, this one STILL delivered a great shave and the scent lingered for a surpirisngly good while. This is a soap i have absolutely no regrets about purchasing and look forward to future use of Soapy Science.

Hope y'all had a great shave!
20190909_140959.jpg

20190909_141012.jpg

View attachment 8586

Recieved thus Soapy Science Pura Rosa soap im the mail this morning, after their 50% off Sale i couldnt resist as have heard good things about this soap base made by a teenage girl for her Science class. It is labeled as a 5 oz soap but contained 6.8oz without the tub so well over the advertised weight, which is worth taking notes so in case there is any water evaporation there will still be WAY more than enough soap. A nice touch IMO and one that did not go unnoticed, plus their shipping was very reasonable as well.

Scent of Pura Rosa is of course Rose and is a soapy kind of Rose that smells nice and can imagine this one will grow on me over time to perhaps compete with the top Rose scents in the den (CBL BRO, Ellegant Rose, QCS Rose Otto, WTF Zu Zu's Petals, etc.)

Performance was quite impressive especially for a soap made by a young girl and not someome that has been perfecting the craft of soapmaking for years. The soap has a harder texture than many modern artisans and has a firm putty consistancy and a somewhat translucent white color which gives it a different appearance to most soaps. Scooped a small bit and bowl lathered, thankfully there was no negative reaction to the Rose scent at all and am very happy about that. Have been having trouble with my brushes latley despite constant cleanings and soaks in HOT Dawn dish soap (to cut thru butters/oils) so the lather was a bit rough. despite these issues that have nothing to do with the soap, this one STILL delivered a great shave and the scent lingered for a surpirisngly good while. This is a soap i have absolutely no regrets about purchasing and look forward to future use of Soapy Science.

Hope y'all had a great shave!
View attachment 8587

View attachment 8588
Hah! Guess Rose was the order of the day! Nice!

Soapy Science is one on the acquisition list.

Hah! Guess Rose was the order of the day! Nice!

Soapy Science is one on the acquisition list.

Thanks brother! It had been on my wish list since hearing about this artisan. They have a cool concept and its for a good cause, even just boosing the self esteem of a kid making soap for the first time is reason enough, but this stuff really can compete with the well known artisans. Look forward to seeing what other scents they come up with in the future.

20190910_082231.jpg

R.i.p. Sue from Honeybee!

Went with Pina Colada which is a fruity coconut pineapple scent that is fun and a change of pace.

Lathers well with no issues. The texture is a bit different from most other glycerin soaps as it did not have that cottage cheese look at first. The shave went well but nothing special as this blade did not go well with this razor IMO. Finished off with splash of Sports Heat which is a Barbershop brand A/S found at local beauty supply store and has a sweet fruity men's cologne scent that paired well with this Pina Colada soap.

20190910_163451.jpg

20190911_080515.jpg

Tim's Soap Breakfast Of Champions was the soap of choice.

Scent is Coffee and Bourbon perhaps.. it has a boozy quality to it and could perhaps be considered a tobacco type scent. Kind of muted but a plesent scent perfect for this time of year.

Performance is decent and provides a swell shave. Soap lathers quick due to the coconut oil is a all around workmans soap. The shave could have been better but have been having trouble with some of the brushes, gave them another soak in Dawn Dish Soap and near boiling water but they have still been causing some issues.... im pretty much down to 3 brushes that seem to be OK.
20190911_183444.jpg

20190912_192543.jpg

AOS Vintage Tallow Sandalwood for this shave. The scent of this soap is WEIRD to say the least... has a clay vibe with a old school classic Sandalwood background, the Fine Sandal Absolut is about as close to a clone as it gets for this scent.

Performance is very good for a big box brand shave soap. Valobra did their homework with this formula and wish they had kept a good thing going instead of switching to a cheaper Vegan base that cannot compaire. Finished off with Myrsol Emulsion.
20190912_193002(0).jpg
20190912_192950.jpg

Attachments

• 20190913_111741.jpg
    20190913_111741.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 0
20190913_111258.jpg

The old classic Arko which i havent used in what seems like forever. Scent is not for everyone but mellows out a LOT over time to a soft Lemon scent.

Performance of this soap has never impressed me but is lathers fast and is cheap as chips, although i much prefer Palmolive Stick which can be found for a similar price.

20190913_111741.jpg

20190914_105940.jpg

Yet another Classic Barbershop shave. Have been fighting off a cold the past week of so as a result i have lost my sense of smell so decided to break out soaps for performance rather than scent.

Royal London is a Vintage soap that is hard to find much information about. Found it at a antique store when i first started and had no idea how rare this product really is.

The scent is almost non existant but has a musty basement or attic vibe to it that goes well with a soap of this age. Comes in one of the coolest containers i have ever seen, has small plastic nubs on the bottom to allow soap to dry between use.

Performance is top notch is every way and is my personal favorite Vintage soap (along with Yardley Shave Stick). Whips up a creamy lather that is protective as hell. Had as close to a perfect shave as could be and am a happy camper! Finished off with Clubman to keep with the old school vibe.

20190914_110626.jpg
20190914_110632.jpg

Back