The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

I know you use a lot of different soaps...tallow and vegan. But it seems you use a lot more vegan soaps...or maybe it is just me. But if you do use more vegan than tallow soaps...is there a reason for this? Just curious!

Nice shaves Brad! I just recently found Murphy & McNeil on Instagram of all places. They seem to have some pretty good scents, and their artwork and packaging is pretty cool!

Yeah Steve their products have been getting some buzz online recently. Very good stuff, am actually expecting a package from them that should arrive tomorrow.

I know you use a lot of different soaps...tallow and vegan. But it seems you use a lot more vegan soaps...or maybe it is just me. But if you do use more vegan than tallow soaps...is there a reason for this? Just curious!

Good question Don! Im not Vegan or vegertarian for that matter, and really dont care one way or another. However there are MANY top notch Vegan soap bases out there, and actually prefer the Vegan formula with both Country Club for Men as well as Tiki Soaps. There are great soap bases in all categories (tallow, Vegan, Glycerin, triple milled, lanolin, etc.) Doesnt matter as long as the soap performs well.

2-22

Prep: Musgo Real Oakmoss
Razor: Wilkinson Orange
Blade: Croma Diamat
Brush: Razorock BC Plissoft
Soap: CB Rud's Suds

Had a swell shave with Ruds Suds. Have been fighting a cold the past few days and as a result could not smell much scent from the soap, even though this soap is not strong scented on a good day. The star of this shave was the aftershave. It morphs and changes a bit over time and is heavier on the vetiver than the soap.

Scent of Rud's Suds is Coffee & Vetiver although i cant detect much vetiver in the soap. It is a interesting scent combination and given the oppertunity i would recommend the aftershave over the soap.

Shave went well with no real problems.

2-23

Prep: Pre Shave Soap Mix
Brush: Razorock BC Plissoft
Soap: CL YRP

Yesterdays shave started out a bit rough. had some trouble getting the right kind of lather consistancy but it did get better with added water and a lot of working the lather.

Scent of YRP is a bright floral slightly feminine to my nose but still a great scent. Could see why there was some hype surrounding this scent as it does smell very good.

Performance of DG is not bad but i dont rate it as high as some people. This shave there was some issues but even on a good day the lather seems to be missing something that would put it in the 'Elite' Category IMO. Have not tried their new base so would imagine they have improved this formula a bit.

Shave was OK but nothing to write home about. The Aftershave burned like hell fire on my neck but have to say CL aftershaves have great longevity.

2-24

Prep: Pre Shave Soap Mix
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Synthetic
Soap: Dr. JON'S Cold Fall Morning

Had a great shave early this morning with Dr. Jon's with no problems whatsoever.

Scent of Cold Fall Morning is Coffee, maple syrup, Pine and other notes. To my nose it almost smells like a Berry Pine something a bit similar to Wild West 2017. It is a nice scent but wish i could detect more of the coffee notes. Scent strength is about 5/10 and is a bit on the light side IMO but that works quite well with this sort of scent.

Perdormance is very good. Dr. Jon's has improved their soap base since they first came on the scene. Soap whipped up a thick lather that really exploded once enough water was added. Managed a near BBS drama free shave and finished off with SW Autumn Ash which smells amazing and one of my top 5 scents of all time. Longevity seems to be pretty good on their EDT as well, although not as potent as Arymis or English Leather (what is lol).

Hope everyone is in good health and getting the best shaves possible!

I’ll say that’s an interesting combo of scent notes.

2-25

Prep: Musgo Real Classic
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Synthetic
Soap: Murphy & McNeil- Claddagh

Managed a BBS shave this evening. First time with the Duck Fat base from Murphy & McNeil and things went fairly well.

Scent of Claddagh is very complex and so far is the most original scent from this artisan i have come across. Its hard to describe but to my nose it smells like a fancy purfume, although not floral, i could see this scent being one women may gravitate twards. Paired well with Opium Oil which i bought then realized it is technically a womens fragrance...dohhh.. but it smells good enough to be worn by either men or women.

Performance is very good. Have not used their tallow formula enough times for critical analasis. Did notice this formula does not seem to be able to handle crazy amounts of water quite like the beef tallow, although it did absorb what water i threw at it. during the final pass it did get a bit runny but the shave went well aside from some redness on neckline. This shave did have a super close BBS finish and overall it was a refreshing experience.

Hope y'all had similar or better results!

3-6

Prep: pre shave soap mix
Razor: Schick Injector
Blade: Ted Pella (2nd shave)
Brush: Razorock Plissoft
Soap: Paladin Silk Road

Glad to see the Cadre back up and runnin better than ever! Had a decent shave this afternoon. Paladin is a hard soap perhaps the hardest soap i have come across aside from triple milled soap. Scent of Silk Road is a clean fresh almost aquatic mens cologne, closest scent i can think of is WK Lav Sublime Concerto which has a similar vibe. Picked up this injector from a antique store for $4 and couldnt pass it up for the price. Shaves well but needs a more through cleaning, i just cleaned it up enough for use but could use a little more TLC. Finished off with Peg Leg Nichols which i have been trying to finish off this bottle, the juice remaining is very potent oil and the GF really likes this scent and commented on it a few times throught the day which is always a good sign;)

Hope everyone is doing well and getting the best shaves possible!

Back