The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

2-9

Prep: Pre shave soap mix
Razor: Wilkinson Sticky
Blade: Shark (1st shave)
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Synthetic
Soap: Wholly Kaw- Chypre Rose Concerto (Original Tallow Formula)

Nice refreshing shave yesterday morning. Wholly Kaw (its no secret) is among many peoples top soap bases and its for good reason. This particular one is their tallow formula they came out with before the Donkey Milk one that everyone raves about. WK has also come a long way as far as presentation is concerned, labels and tubs are much better nowadays conpaired to this easlier version.

Scent of Chypre Rose Concerto is a fresh Rose with other supporting notes, very well done and was my all time favorite Rose scent at one point of time, have found a few other Rose scents that IMO surpass this one, but this is still a wonderful scent and was one of the earlier Floral scented soap in my den.

Performance is excellent. Lather has a shiny look to it and washes away to a milky consistancy. This stuff is very good, but where the DM formula excells is in the post residual slicnkess and latherability.

Managed a decent shave and finished off with Rose Water which kept with the Rose theme.

2-10

Prep: Musgo Real Oakmoss
Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
Blade: Shark (2nd shave)
Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic
Soap: Smitten Soapery- Stud Muffin

WOW! What an amazing shave this morning. This is by far the best shave i have had in a while, were talking "Dolphin Smooth" as people call it lol.

Went with Smitten Soapery's Stud Muffin. Picked up this tub from BST a while back for around $6 and was not sure what to expect but this has turned out to be among my favorite soap bases.

Scent of Stud Muffin is a mix of Orange, Clove, Pine, Cinnamon and is a familar scent for anyone that has spent time in any "Natural" or health food type of store, since it is all Essential Oils and is a sonewhat common blend. Smells great and despite having cinnamon there is no burning whatsoever.

Performance is supurb IMO. I literally flooded the lather so the brush was completely filled with water, then proceeded to face lather and the soap took it like a champ. Nearly idiot proof and impossible to overlather (similar to Grooming Dept) and the lather really shined once all the water was added.

Had used Shark blades a while back but couldn't remember much about them although i think they had poor longevity. So far this blade is not nearly as bad as people make it sound. In fact so far so good, this shave went a bit better than yesterday as blades tend to be smoother once used a few times.

Super stoked about the results from todays shave and hope you had a similar experience!

2-10

Prep: Musgo Real Oakmoss
Blade: Shark (2nd shave)
Brush: Maggard 24mm Synthetic
Soap: Smitten Soapery- Stud Muffin

WOW! What an amazing shave this morning. This is by far the best shave i have had in a while, were talking "Dolphin Smooth" as people call it lol.

Went with Smitten Soapery's Stud Muffin. Picked up this tub from BST a while back for around $6 and was not sure what to expect but this has turned out to be among my favorite soap bases.

Scent of Stud Muffin is a mix of Orange, Clove, Pine, Cinnamon and is a familar scent for anyone that has spent time in any "Natural" or health food type of store, since it is all Essential Oils and is a sonewhat common blend. Smells great and despite having cinnamon there is no burning whatsoever.

Performance is supurb IMO. I literally flooded the lather so the brush was completely filled with water, then proceeded to face lather and the soap took it like a champ. Nearly idiot proof and impossible to overlather (similar to Grooming Dept) and the lather really shined once all the water was added.

Had used Shark blades a while back but couldn't remember much about them although i think they had poor longevity. So far this blade is not nearly as bad as people make it sound. In fact so far so good, this shave went a bit better than yesterday as blades tend to be smoother once used a few times.

Super stoked about the results from todays shave and hope you had a similar experience!

Which shark? Chad has drastically different experiences with the two.

Stud muffin sounds great!

Whioly Kaw...meh, mainstream!
1f60b.png

Big Journal you have here, there's an echo in this place. Stud Muffin sounds good to me because.....................well.............muffins

Prep: Musgo Real Classic
Blade: Shark
Brush: Yaqi Synthetic
lather: Crown & Crane- Thungurstan Forest/ Siliski Patchouli Blend

Couldnt decide between these 2 soaps so decided to mix up a small amount of each and press into copper bowl. Both are excellent performers and the scents blended well together, although the C&C scent was predominant while the Siliski PB added a little extra depth.

Shave went well and the lather turned out great. No issues at all and no irritation but the shave could have been a little closer, overall no complaints but was a pretty uneventfull shave.

2-13

Prep: Occams Crushed Lime Pre Shave Soap
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
Brush: Razorock BC Plissoft
Soap: Ballenclaugh- Festive Parlor

Man everyone needs a little Ballenclaugh in their life IMO. Have had B&C in the queue but most of their scents (accept for Old Barber Menthe) are fairly strong and unique, something you have to be in the mood for rather than a daily driver. Today was that day!

Scent of Festive Parlor is Orange, Spice, Clove, Leather and is a Holiday type of scent but like most B&C scents this is not a "cookie cutter" scent and is pretty unique. The profile really opens up once lathered and smells a million times better once everything is all mixed up.

Lather from this stuff is supurb IMO and B&C became a instant favorite from 1st use (Woodsmen) as it is unique and something different. Lather can hold a rediculous amount of water, plus it seems to lather quiker with a wetter brush. Whipped up a thick luxurious lather with ease, super protective and provided a BBS shave with no drama. Must say the post residual slickness on this stuff is incredible, after rinsed away skin is still slick enough for touch ups without consequence. Very happy with the results from todays shave. Hope y'all had a similar experience!

Great read here. And yes the Shark Stainless is a great blade for 3 shaves. The other sharks belong in the trash.

2-13

Prep: Occams Crushed Lime Pre Shave Soap
Blade: Shark Super Stainless
Soap: Ballenclaugh- Festive Parlor

Man everyone needs a little Ballenclaugh in their life IMO. Have had B&C in the queue but most of their scents (accept for Old Barber Menthe) are fairly strong and unique, something you have to be in the mood for rather than a daily driver. Today was that day!

Scent of Festive Parlor is Orange, Spice, Clove, Leather and is a Holiday type of scent but like most B&C scents this is not a "cookie cutter" scent and is pretty unique. The profile really opens up once lathered and smells a million times better once everything is all mixed up.

Lather from this stuff is supurb IMO and B&C became a instant favorite from 1st use (Woodsmen) as it is unique and something different. Lather can hold a rediculous amount of water, plus it seems to lather quiker with a wetter brush. Whipped up a thick luxurious lather with ease, super protective and provided a BBS shave with no drama. Must say the post residual slickness on this stuff is incredible, after rinsed away skin is still slick enough for touch ups without consequence. Very happy with the results from todays shave. Hope y'all had a similar experience!

Prep: Musgo Real Classic
Blade: Shark SS
Soap: Ginger's Garden- Maharani

Had a fairly decent shave yesterday that was uneventfull.

Couldn't find the scent notes for Maharani, but for my nose it smells wonderful. Reminds me a bit of that Chandrika soap from India, has a scent similar to Frankincense & Myrrh, Patchouli, or something along those lines. It is interesting and is by far my favorite from any of the other GG soaps i have tried, it is a unique mysterious scent for sure.

Performance is not bad but its not going to win any awards either IMO. This is the tallow formula that contains Olive Oil, despite this fact lather stability has yet to become an issue. Thick stable lather that is not overly thirtsy and does not require much water to get the right consistancy. Texture of the soap iteslf is pretty hard and similar to Soap Commander so a tub should last practically forever.

Managed a decent shave and finished off with matching aftershave. This is where Ginger's Garden shines the most IMO. Their A/S's are a thick oily consistancy and contain plenty of skin food. Unfornuatly this stuff does not taste as good as it smells, always seem to get a little bit stuck in moustache and the taste is terrble lol. Scent longevity is excellent and could almost be considered a mild cologne.

Hope everyone had a swell shave!

2-15

Prep: Pre Shave Soap Mix
Soap: Stirling- Haverford

Very nice refreshing shave this afternoon. Picked up a few new products that couldnt wait to try.

The scent of Haverford is nothing like i would have thought from the name. Without looking at scent profile, I expected another aquatic type of scent and this is FAR from anything like that. To my nose it smells like a strong peppery men's cologne and is unlike most other Stirling scents (similar situation with CB 322) it is complex and intoxicating.

Performance is very good. Lather whips up to a creamy consistancy with no problems. Soap itself has a brown layer on top and is white underneath.

Managed a decent shave but did get a few weepers on neck along with some redness. Splashed on some Lucky Tiger with menthol crystals added, this seemed to seal everything up well. Finished off with Southern Witchcrafts Autumn Ash EDT which smells AMAZING and hours later i can still smell it clear as day. First time using their EDTs and would not hesitate to try others. Very impressed with their products all the way around and they are a great value IMO.

Hope y'all have a safe weekend and a swell shave!

Got a little behind on your journal and finally caught up. Wow! That was a lot of soaps and shaves! I am very interested in the Ballenclaugh Festive Parlor as I am a sucker for spicy scents!

2-15

Prep: Pre Shave Soap Mix
Soap: Stirling- Haverford

Very nice refreshing shave this afternoon. Picked up a few new products that couldnt wait to try.

The scent of Haverford is nothing like i would have thought from the name. Without looking at scent profile, I expected another aquatic type of scent and this is FAR from anything like that. To my nose it smells like a strong peppery men's cologne and is unlike most other Stirling scents (similar situation with CB 322) it is complex and intoxicating.

Performance is very good. Lather whips up to a creamy consistancy with no problems. Soap itself has a brown layer on top and is white underneath.

Managed a decent shave but did get a few weepers on neck along with some redness. Splashed on some Lucky Tiger with menthol crystals added, this seemed to seal everything up well. Finished off with Southern Witchcrafts Autumn Ash EDT which smells AMAZING and hours later i can still smell it clear as day. First time using their EDTs and would not hesitate to try others. Very impressed with their products all the way around and they are a great value IMO.

Hope y'all have a safe weekend and a swell shave!

Back