The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

SHAVEWIZARD'S THOUGHTS

2-16

Prep: Pre shave soap mix
Razor: Wilkinson Sticky
Blade: Croma Diamat (1st shave)
Brush: Yaqi 26mm Synthetic
Soap: A&E Which Ones Pink?

Made a trip to Maggards yesterday to check out a few things. The A&E line has many top notch scents, and really liked most of them. Was considering either Tabac Vanille or Uno, but am a big Pink Floyd fan (and so is my GF so she wouldnt complain lol) we both think this one smells amazing. On paper Which Ones Pink? Did not sound as appealing as it really is, then felt like a schmuck for turning down a sample.. oops lol sorry about that, had no idea from judging thr scent description. This scent is described as a Oriental and is a spicy sandalwood cologne type of scent that is well blended.

Performance is excellent and tier 1 for sure. Thick creamy lather that can handle a lot of water, plus the soap is concentrated so not much is needed to make a lot of lather (actually had a little extra from the bowl) and can picture people overloading then having issues if not careful.

The Croma blade works well in the Sticky razor and is a good combo so far. Managed to get very close to BBS but still had a little residual irritation from yesterdays shave which was soothed by the aftershave. Absolutely LOVE the scent of Shaken and (along with Autumn Ash) knew it was a scent that deserves some longevity rather than just soap scent. The A/S is a milky color and has pretty good longevity, although not as long as the Autumn Ash, but then again its not EDT strength.

Super stoked about the few things i picked up and plan to get rid of some older soaps to make a little room. Will probibaly PIF a few things here in the near future as well. this is a wonderful community and would give y'all the shirt off my back if you needed it. You guys (and gals) truely are a great group of people. Hope each and every one of you had a swell shave!

I was looking at Haverford recently but decided to go with Stirling Spice for a classic scent. I rememeber the scent profile mentioning tobacco and vanilla and really being on the fence between the two.

I tied the WWP soap from a sample sent and enjoyed it as well. Not what was expected based off description. Thanks for all the reviews you bring to the Cadre

I had picked up WWP? when it first came out. I was actually intrigued by the scent description. But I when it came to my doorstep...I was not really a fan. But it seems that a bunch of you guys are really enjoying it. I love that the A&E scents are out of the ordinary. Sure they have some that might be an homage to another scent. But all in all...Peter over at A&E really has a creative balance to his products.

I tied the WWP soap from a sample sent and enjoyed it as well. Not what was expected based off description. Thanks for all the reviews you bring to the Cadre

Thanks Dave!
I had picked up WWP? when it first came out. I was actually intrigued by the scent description. But I when it came to my doorstep...I was not really a fan. But it seems that a bunch of you guys are really enjoying it. I love that the A&E scents are out of the ordinary. Sure they have some that might be an homage to another scent. But all in all...Peter over at A&E really has a creative balance to his products.

I agree Don, the scents from A&E seem very well made and you can tell some thought went into making them, although there were a few i didnt care for, most of them passed the smell test. My GF really liked Greisian Horse.

I was looking at Haverford recently but decided to go with Stirling Spice for a classic scent. I rememeber the scent profile mentioning tobacco and vanilla and really being on the fence between the two.

Haverford is described as a Tom Ford Tobacco scent, but is much different from the clones from other artisans i have come across. I read the description after i bought it and would not have thought that was what Stirling was going for, although i have not smelled any REAL Tom Ford fragrances. This one does smell very nice, i could sent you a sample if you would like.

Prep: pre shave soap mix
Blade: Croma
Brush: Razorock Plissoft
Soap: Noble Otter- Monarch

Excellent shave yesterday with Noble Otter. This is a pretty good soap base and would put it somewhere mid tier 1 if i had to give it a rating.

Scent of Monarch is nothing as expected. To my nose is smells like a light Grape scent with other notes, and others agree with this assesment. This is strange since Grape is not listed in the notes, plus they describe it as powdery and this smells nothing like Baby Powder at all which is a good thing IMO. It may be the hycinthe that makes this scent come across the way it does. anyways, I like Grape and there are not many Grape scents on the market so Monarch was a splendid surprise.

Performance is quite good, although not elite territory IMO. Soap lathers quickly and did not require a ton of water to get the right consistancy. Managed to get a decent shave with no drama and finished off with some Stirling Mountain Man Balm which was the closest thing i have to pair with a unique scent such as Monarch.

2-18

Prep: Pre Shave Soap Mix
Blade: Croma Diamat
Soap: Country Club For Men- Barnstormer

Had a interesting shave early this morning. Was watching some CD Shaving Murphy utube videos daw his review of this soap and decided to use it for todays shave.

Big fan of CC4Men and each of the 3 formulas i have tried have all been supurb. This particular one is the Tallow formula that has a hard consistancy and is one of Kevin's older formulas.

Scent of Barnstormer is a powdery Chypre scent that is reminicent of a Barnyard (accept without the dirt & feces) and has a musky powdery scent that is certainly unique.

Performance is excellent (as with all CC soaps) and provides everything one would want & expect from a quality shave soap. Post residual slickness is supurb so touch ups were a breeze. Did have a slight issue with the TTO opening up during the shave, as a result had some bloodletting. Despite this potential critical issue, this was still a refreshing shave that was still enjoyable. There is a area by my moustache that i dont believe has ever been so smooth from any shave, very impressed with this aspect of the shave. Finished off with Cognac & Cuban Cigars Balm & Alum Block to soothe things down a bit. Scent & performance of this Balm is great. Hope y'all had a safe weekend and a swell shave!

LOOK AT THIS CRAZY LATHER! LOOKS LIKE SOME KIND OF ALIEN WHITE ROSE!

I envy you guys that can match AS to various soaps. I just don’t have the nose for it.

Its not always an exact science Tim. I'm not one of those people that has to have a mathing A/S. Some scents are easier to pair, while other times a scent that is close enough works just fine.

Of course there is no probem with using whatever you happen to be in the mood for reguardless of the scent of the soap.

I envy you guys that can match AS to various soaps. I just don’t have the nose for it.

Its not always an exact science Tim. I'm not one of those people that has to have a mathing A/S. Some scents are easier to pair, while other times a scent that is close enough works just fine.

Of course there is no probem with using whatever you happen to be in the mood for reguardless of the scent of the soap.

2-19

Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
Soap: Crown & Crane- Jamaican Peppercorn (Vegan)

Have been itching to try this soap again, last time i used it i got a very light itching sensation but the scent is fantastic with performance to match.

The scent of Jamaican Peppercorns is very complex and a bit hard to describe, of course it's peppery but there is a whole lot going on than just pepper. It is like a men's peppery cologne something akin to Dior Farenheit but a WHOLE lot better IMO. Scent strength is medium which works well with this type of scent, too potent and it would be cloying.

This particular soap is the Vegan formula. Checked with Karl just to be sure and he emailed me back quickly proving how top notch their customer service is at Crown & Crane. Soap lathers easliy and holds a lot of water, lather has a nice sheen to it and provides plenty of slickness. Post residual slicnkess was good enough for touch ups after rinsing with no problems. C&C has a simple ellegance to their products that scream quality without being just another expensive "luxury" product. I can tell a lot of thought and care went into each of their products i have tried (tallow, vegan, balm, body powder) and have yet to try a product from C&C i did not like.

Managed a near BBS shave with no nicks or weepers. Splashed on some Barbasol Brisk which was a great way to end the shave. Hope you had a swell shave as well!

Holy cow Mr. Wizard! You have a lot going on the past few days and some REALLY good soaps too! On the Monarch/Grape conspiracy...I think you are right that it might be the hyacinth that is in it that conjures up the grape scent! I have noticed that a lot of floral scents like gardenia, honeysuckle, and yes...hyacinth when settled down can have a grape tone to it. I have Vide Poche by Declaration Grooming/Chatillon Lux and it has a prominent floral note to it. One day I was messing around with my black dog (she is a lab-shepherd mix) and I thought that maybe I spilled something on her because she smelled like grape jelly. The wife and I determined that I must have petted her one day after applying my vide poche aftershave.

Holy cow Mr. Wizard! You have a lot going on the past few days and some REALLY good soaps too! On the Monarch/Grape conspiracy...I think you are right that it might be the hyacinth that is in it that conjures up the grape scent! I have noticed that a lot of floral scents like gardenia, honeysuckle, and yes...hyacinth when settled down can have a grape tone to it. I have Vide Poche by Declaration Grooming/Chatillon Lux and it has a prominent floral note to it. One day I was messing around with my black dog (she is a lab-shepherd mix) and I thought that maybe I spilled something on her because she smelled like grape jelly. The wife and I determined that I must have petted her one day after applying my vide poche aftershave.

This happens with Willie all the time too lol.

I usually don't give the aftershave any thought until after the shave. So I'm not consciously setting out to match my aftershave to my soap. Once done shaving, the soap scent is on my mind (and still on my face), I go and select my aftershave. Whatever I find that seems right, I assume I'm subconsciously picking something that will be the perfect match for that day!

2-19

Razor: Wilkinson Sword Classic
Soap: Crown & Crane- Jamaican Peppercorn (Vegan)

Have been itching to try this soap again, last time i used it i got a very light itching sensation but the scent is fantastic with performance to match.

The scent of Jamaican Peppercorns is very complex and a bit hard to describe, of course it's peppery but there is a whole lot going on than just pepper. It is like a men's peppery cologne something akin to Dior Farenheit but a WHOLE lot better IMO. Scent strength is medium which works well with this type of scent, too potent and it would be cloying.

This particular soap is the Vegan formula. Checked with Karl just to be sure and he emailed me back quickly proving how top notch their customer service is at Crown & Crane. Soap lathers easliy and holds a lot of water, lather has a nice sheen to it and provides plenty of slickness. Post residual slicnkess was good enough for touch ups after rinsing with no problems. C&C has a simple ellegance to their products that scream quality without being just another expensive "luxury" product. I can tell a lot of thought and care went into each of their products i have tried (tallow, vegan, balm, body powder) and have yet to try a product from C&C i did not like.

Managed a near BBS shave with no nicks or weepers. Splashed on some Barbasol Brisk which was a great way to end the shave. Hope you had a swell shave as well!

2-21

Prep: Musgo Real Oakmoss
Razor: Wilkinson Orange
Brush: Maggard Blue & White Synthetic
Soap: Murphy & McNeil- Ouroboros

Nice refreshing shave early this morning with Murphy & McNeil, they are a relatively new artisan that has come up with a great soap base and cool black & White labels.

Scent of Ouroboros is nearly identical to the RP Dragons Blood IMO as a result the 2 paired beautifully together. This is a dark Dragons Blood that smells like incense, scent strength is medium strong and not overpowering.

Performance is very good. Lather can handle a to of water, added it 5 drops at a time and must have added 40 drops. Lather has a milky consistancy and feels nice and moisturizing. Touch ups were no problem and this razor/blade combo seems to work best, which is good since this blade had some trouble in other razors. Hope y'all had a swell shave!

Nice shaves Brad! I just recently found Murphy & McNeil on Instagram of all places. They seem to have some pretty good scents, and their artwork and packaging is pretty cool!

Back