The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Sharp’s Tales: There Will Be Blood

Travel weekend.

Shaves # 6&7

Razor: Blackbird OC
Blade: Feather (1&2)
Brush: Simpson 58 Mancurian
TOB Jermyn Cream

Family weekend in Chicago. As we all know Hotel Shaves are always a gamble.
Love this cream. I don’t like to take many chances while traveling for business and or formal affairs. Jermyn has pleasant scent easy to load and provides a lot of protection. Love that they come in 2.5 oz travel sizes too.

I am looking for a milder razor to travel with so kept both shaves to 2 easy passes without getting detailed. Results were between DFS and SAS.

Oh ya, you were smelling like a sophisticated man there.

#Shave 8.

Razor: Blackbird SB
Blade: Bolzano(1)
Brush: M&F Polo 27mm
Soap: Strop Shoppe Black Tie
After Shave: L'Occitain AfterShaveBalm

Pass 1 WTG
Pass 2 XTG face , ATG neck
Very few cleanups for not wanting to do to much damage.

Took a day or two off. Special request by son to shave if I wanted to get a hug good night.
#*#&! demaning five year olds.
Thought I did a good job of lathering up but I think I didn't use enough water this go around. Fair amount of drag, two small weepers and caught my skin once and the blade skipped and snagged me for a bit of a gash just right of my mouth. Maybe it was the weekend away using a cream that is brainless to whip up but seemed to use to little water even though I had a thick swath of lather on my face. The Bolzano is my fovorite blade though these PolSilver IR's might be taking that over. The lather on the first pass seemed to get dry on my face toward the end of the first pass, when most of the damage was done. Though the 2nd pass I emptied the brush onto my face it hand rubbed it in. It was silky smooth and took more care from what I learned on the first pass.

On the 2nd pass I tried a different XTG and it might be better option for me than WTG. I wend more at a 45 degree anlge to the face and it was smooth.
Next shave I might do 45degreeXTG on pass 1 and 90 degree XTG on pass 2.

Need more time with the Bolzano because i know this is a great blade. These PolSilver might be in the running though.

The last blades I plan to use this month are Feather. Than for science purposes I plan to use the Zorricks (india) and Sputniks that I am sending to Chad for his Blad Blade Serries. It is only fare.

Whoop, sorry about the cut. And listen, just because Chad be crazy doesn't mean you need to follow.

Whoop, sorry about the cut. And listen, just because Chad be crazy doesn't mean you need to follow.

Something I am very used to.. My baby soft skin is kind of elastic and prone to catching. I need to remeber to keep heeding your medical advice and use less pressure and remember the alum on the finger tip to stick to my skin on the stretch.

#Shave 9

Blade: Bolzano(2)

Pass 1 XTG 45degree down.
Pass 2 XTG 45 up face , ATG neck
Irritated the hell out of face but still did some clean ups.

Well this shave had all sorts of problems and just bad all around. Irritation blood, razor burn...

At first I think it was the lather. Because of the bad experience I had yesterday with using too little water today there was plenty of lather but it didn’t provide and cushion or protection in this soap I love so dear.

I hadn’t really seen this much blood since my teenage years ala Gillette Good News.
I figured the damage was done. Go for the cleanup. Can’t get any worse.
And man did I clean up well. One of the closest, smoothest finishes I have had in a while. A little alum and After Shave Balm. Smooth as silk. Well except parts of my neck, chin and jaw line. But they never get better than DFS.

I couldnt believe it. My beloved Bolzano. Two bad shaves in a row. I was thinking it must have been an outlier for them.

Low and behold, I go to take the blade out and it had split. Not sure if it was Shave one or shave two but mother f...er.

Ouch sorry to hear! Hope the skin recovers soon! Keep working on the Strop Shoppe lather, you’ll get it!

Sharp's dang that stinks but glad you spotted it before shave 3. Iike Bolzano too the couple I've tried but the Pol Silvers have been 1 of my stock up blades by 100's.

Two really not good shaves at all. Mr. Murphy decided that he was staying for the week it seems. Sorry to hear that. The blade itself might be at fault and might be irregular compared to the others. Meaning that a bad one got through quality control. Strop Shoppe soaps, while at the time they were around, were among the best out there. But lately we have been spoiled with soaps that don't take much thought or effort to lather up perfectly. Spend some time with the soap and dial it in. It will reward you in the end!

Two really not good shaves at all. Mr. Murphy decided that he was staying for the week it seems. Sorry to hear that. The blade itself might be at fault and might be irregular compared to the others. Meaning that a bad one got through quality control. Strop Shoppe soaps, while at the time they were around, were among the best out there. But lately we have been spoiled with soaps that don't take much thought or effort to lather up perfectly. Spend some time with the soap and dial it in. It will reward you in the end!

I do not blame the soap and think just like you said, one slip past. I know these blades are good. My favorite. I also may have over tightened I will give it one more shot in a few days.

#Shave 10

Blade: Bolzano(1) Round Two.

Pass 1 XTG 45degree down.
Pass 2 XTG 90 up face , ATG neck

So after my last shave and the Bolzano spliting I desided to give them another shot. It has been my favorite blade most of my DE shaving. But shows you need to match the Blade to the Razor. I had almost 3 days of growth this morning giving the face some time to heal from friday's shave.

Take a note from Nurse Dave I desided to use cold water for this shave.

The lather was great today. Nice silk feeling this soap really leaves the face conditioned when done. More and more I am like the 45degree XTG face with my beard growth.
In the end relatively nice DFS .. No Blood and not much irritation. Well, except for some reason, under the stash was not that close.

I don't think my Bolzanos are the best blade for this razor. I will try it untill I get some drag but I have about 4 more blades to get through this month.

Next shave I am going to try to do smothing I have not done in years. Bowl lather.

Ok.. Off to Chuck-E Cheese for a 4 year old kid's Birthday .

#Shave 10\n\nRazor: Blackbird SB\nBlade: Bolzano(1) Round Two. \nBrush: M&F Polo 27mm\nSoap: Strop Shoppe Black Tie \nAfter Shave: L\'Occitain AfterShaveBalm \n\nPass 1 XTG 45degree down. \nPa\r\n ss 2 XTG 90 up face , ATG neck\n\nSo after my last shave and the Bolzano spliting I desided to give them another shot. It has been my favorite blade most of my DE shaving. But shows you need to match the Blade to the Razor. I had almost 3 days of growth this morning giving the face some time to heal from friday\'s shave. \n\nTake a note from Nurse Dave I desided to use cold water for this shave. \n\nThe lather was great today. Nice silk feeling this soap really leaves the face conditioned when done. More and more I am like the 45degree XTG face with my beard growth. \nIn the end relatively nice DFS .. No Blood and not much irritation. Well, except for some reason, under the stash was not that close. \n\nI don\'t think my Bolzanos are the best blade for this razor. I will try it untill I get some drag but I have about 4 more blades to get through this month. \n\nNext shave I am going to try to do smothing I have not done in years. Bowl lather.\n\nOk.. Off to Chuck-E Cheese for a 4 year old kid\'s Birthday . \n\n
\n\nI’ve come to despise Chuck E Cheese...either I had a higher view of it as a child or they’ve greatly degenerated. All I see is cheap plastic-looking pizza, grimy games, and the smell of old stinky shoes. Have fun though! ?

I’ve come to despise Chuck E Cheese...either I had a higher view of it as a child or they’ve greatly degenerated. All I see is cheap plastic-looking pizza, grimy games, and the smell of old stinky shoes. Have fun though! ?

The write up was actually from this morning. You all have to remeber Chuck-E Cheese is the Vegas of kid's birthday parties. The kids won about 1200 tickets. Which takes about 35 minutes to process through those stupid ticket muchers that are always jamed. in the end its about $11 trintects worth about $3. Told the kids next time we just play the games .. forget the tickets and I will buy you some toys.

my son loves chuck e cheese. He has a birthday party coming up soon too! UGH!

Back