The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Sharp’s Tales: There Will Be Blood

Great reads! I’m pretty sure I couldn’t 3017 anything. I can usually go a week and then I want to change scents.

Great reads! I’m pretty sure I couldn’t 3017 anything. I can usually go a week and then I want to change scents.

thanks. I will try to keep it entertaining.
As far as 3017 I guess I get a satisfaction of finishing something. Actually using the product. 2019 i will prob pick 4-5 soaps to rotate on a monthly basis so I don’t get board. I have had lost of soap. When am I going to get to them? So sold off a bunch. Still have to much. If I can get down to 6 pucks or so I will be happy.

\n\nthanks. I will try to keep it entertaining. \nAs far as 3017 I guess I get a satisfaction of finishing something. Actually using the product. 2019 i will prob pick 4-5 soaps to rotate on a monthly basis so I don’t get board. I have had lost of soap. When am I going to get to them? So sold off a bunch. Still have to much. If I can get down to 6 pucks or so I will be happy.
\n3017ing is a very satisfying way to use a product. I feel like I really get understand the product when I am done. \n\nI had too much at the beginning of the year. Then I have made several large soap acquisitions this year. So, now I have much more than too much. \n\nYour goal to get down to just 6 pucks is an admirable one.

Shave #1

So first shave in the Journal and start on the Cadre are in the books.

I am trying to adjust to a new shaving technique developed by w friend of mine,@Dragonsbeard, on another Blog. He calls it his SSSST technique(Skin Stretch Short Stroke Technique). Drangonsbeard holds and owns all rights and claims to this technique. I can get into it more if people are interested or I can ask Frank if he minds me sharing his written explanation and history of the method. It makes a good read.

I have no association with it. But as I am practicing it, I am making slight adjustments that work with my face. I have been getting much less irritation, fewer knicks, and better results.
So much so that I can get a DFS to almost BBS in as little as two passes with my DEs with a lot less effort. My shaves would be BBS if it weren't for a chin to ear growth pattern I have along my jawline plus the area to the sides of my windpipe give me some trouble. The shaves are so close that it is best to wait about 36 hours between shaves to keep irritation to a minimum. If I shaved in a 24 hour period, I could probably only get three days in a row before needing a mandatory day off.

Tools used today as stated for Nov.
Blackbird SB in Black Oxide
M&F 2 Band Polo 27mm
Personna Red
Strop Shoppe Black Tie.
L'Occitan AFB

The M&F polo really whips up a nice amount of lather without a great amount of work unlike many brushs in this size can be/

This is the first time I am using a Personna Red in the Blackbird. The Personnas that came with the BB are the USA and for some reason, they tugged and grabbed I was not happy with the choice of included blades. I spoke with Shane at Blackland and he explained that it was to stick with the Made in the USA theme. I can respect that. And I know there are many faces that enjoy that blade. The Reds are a completely different story. Smooth which I am sure should get better with a few more uses.

The technique:
1st pass WTG on face and neck was trying to use Frank's SSSST method.
2nd pass XTG on face and ATG on my neck.
The XTG is an ear to nose except at the jawline I use a chin to ear approach.

On the first pass, the blade grabbed hold of my chin and almost took out a chunk of skin. I was able to stop it in time but still received a gash. As the title says: there will be blood

Yikes, glad you were able to stop the almost disaster! I think I’ve seen DB mention that technique before, but never seen an explanation. Perfect it, then tell us about it!

Since you've modified it, would it be SSSSSST? Sharp's Selective Skin Stretch Short Stroke Technique)?

I'm not a big fan of skin stretching when using any blade with a guard. It does get you closer, but adds the the chance of irritation for me.

Since you've modified it, would it be SSSSSST? Sharp's Selective Skin Stretch Short Stroke Technique)?

I'm not a big fan of skin stretching when using any blade with a guard. It does get you closer, but adds the the chance of irritation for me.

But that is the weird thing. I have experienced no irritation or bumps or ingrown hairs. It might be because the strokes are short yet attack in three directions. The difference for me with irritation is trying to go for the third pass and aggresive clean ups.

Nice shave Sharps. How was the Black Tie for you ?

it was perfect. As you said it isn’t a strong sent but a very clean sent that I enjoy. The performance is excellent. I do prefer Tallow soaps. Thick easy lather that loads on a brush. Offers amazing cushioning. At least in my opinion.

thanks Dave

Excellent reads, Sharp's! Thanks for sharing. I have a similar grain pattern along my jawline, and it can be a pain sometimes.

Well...you have to live up to the title right? Sorry about the Murphy Bite!

Will be interested to read about the technique...if you are allowed to post it!

Have a great weekend!

I use one product at a time. It's just easier for me this way - no early morning decisions. Welcome to the journals. Enjoy your shaves!

So the new Paladin came in today and it is gorgeous. My brush collection is pretty complete. We I have a Black Eagle on order in 25mm

I have had birthdays galor this weekend and have to take the kid to one now.
I will try to post my last two shaves later this evening.

Wiborg 2 Band 26mm
Brad Sears Arley 2 Band Select 28mm
Simpson 58 Manchurian 23mm
Morris and Forndran 2 Band Finest 27mm
Paladin El Dorado Select Badger 28mm

This weekend I was overloaded with kid's birthday parties so I am just getting caught up now on my shaves. Son turned 5 this weekend.

Shave # 2 about (36 hours)
Blackbird SB
M&F Polo 2 band finest
Personna Red Isreal
Strop Shoppe Black Tie.

1st Pass WTG
2nd Pass XTG Face, ATG Neck.
Small touch-ups.

I spent more time perfecting the lather on my face this weekend. I worked on dialing in and lathering the brush on my face more. This really helped at loading the brush up more so that I would have enough cream for 3-4 passes if needed. I used a little more water than usual and got a slightly thinner, but fluffier coating. My goal was to try a slightly thinner coat to see if that improved the slickness This brush is rivaling the Wiborg in overall performance and pleasure.

The Personna Red has 2 shaves on it and performed very well just smooth enough and yet sharp enough not to tug. I am still adapting the SSST shave but at this point find it works well on the sides of the face but not on my neck or the tough spots of my chin.

On my cleanups, I worked on flattening the surfaces of my face using stretches and pushing the tongue into areas around the lips.

Very happy with a mostly BBS across the face. With DFS on the underjaw of my neck.
I am loving the strop shoppe. Though it isn't a strong scent it is very clean. But it provided an amazing cushion and even better the conditioned my skin. Left it very soft. I am going to enjoy this month of soap.

Shave #3 (30 hours growth)

Blackbird SB
Paladin El Dorado Select 2 band 28MM
Personna Red Isreal(4)
Strop Shoppe Black Tie.

1st Pass WTG
2nd Pass XTG Face, ATG Neck.
Small touch-ups.

So the Paladin arrived and I just had to use it. Just could not wait.

So I am going to have to take the time to learn this brush more. It was soft but didn't load as much as I was expecting. At the moment I would rank this 3rd in my brushes. Time will tell.

I got one of the closest shaves today. I lade back on the pressure and focused on the problem areas but really didn't push it. The Personna has 3 shaves on it already and was pulling a bit making the experience a little uncomfortable. I was expecting a lot of irritation but in the end, there was none and very smooth face. I don't know exactly how to rank them for all I know my DFS is everyone else's BBS. That being said the blade was moved into the bank. I might move to a different blade for my next shave just to considering I have a good feel for the PR already and I want to see how other blades compare to it.

Oh, on a sidebar: I saw a little bit of blood in the cream on my razor but could not find any nicks or weepers. The alum gave a couple of hints of where it might have come from but nothing visible.

Have a great day gentlemen.

Back