The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Sharp’s Tales: There Will Be Blood

Definitely don't get burned out on your 3017. We like you too much around here for you to stop posting! Filing taxes suck. The wife just did our yesterday and it turned out better than we hoped. We try to finagle everything so that we don't get anything back and that we don't pay anything in. We got about as close as we can get on both fronts! Hope your "review" goes well.

We had a CPA do our our taxes this year because of all the real estate stuff. Lots of write offs and deductions and I didn’t want to screw up. Somehow we’re going to end up getting money back from the federal return, but owe money back to the state. Oh well.

Don't mind him Jim. You know nurses can't read charts...
1f602.png

2019 Shave #28 (2 days growth)
Razor: Raw RS-10 Mild plate.
Astra SS (3)
Brush: Paladin Chief 28MM
Pre Shave: Keihl's
Soap Ghost Town Barber (28) 3017
AS: Thayer's Medicated WH

The shave god, Tonsorious has shown down on me today. Two days growth again yet lifting up on the pressure and slightly adjusting the steepness of the angle resulted in one of the smoothest shaves I had all year. Sticking with only two passes I did not get BBS but feel a third pass would have given that result.
Once again the failing element in this picture was the residual slickness or lack thereof from the GTB.

Dave's 16 shaves (and going strong) with the Sputnik has inspired me to see how long I can push this Astra SS. Three shaves in and it is still like "Mint in the Box" I will try to go in with the mindset that I am 22 again. Still, use carts and don't have $38 to buy a new pack so I got to stretch this last one as long as I can.

We had a CPA do our our taxes this year because of all the real estate stuff. Lots of write offs and deductions and I didn’t want to screw up. Somehow we’re going to end up getting money back from the federal return but owe money back to the state. Oh well.

You are right Steve. I have had a CPA do my taxes for years. He prepared and submitted this amendment back in Aug 2017. The IRS has been delaying the process and only started looking at it in Nov, of 2018 and moved it over to "Examination department" . This requires me to find a ton of information from Third parties involved with operating my old business. In the end, It will be good for me. Just tedious.

2019 Shave #29 (1 days growth)
Astra SS (4)
Soap Ghost Town Barber (29) 3017

The GTB is almost at the level Steve started with so I must be nearing the end, right?
It is actually disappearing pretty fast though today's performance was not stellar. Thinner than usual.
This led to a subpar experience but I did get BBS in three passes off the Mild plate.
The Astra SS diminished a little in sharpness.

Sorry for the boring report.

Have a great day Cadre

I think I got 15-16 shaves out of what I had left in my tub. By Chad’s standards that’s about 55-60%. By Tim’s it’s probably closer to 20% ???. All depends on how heavy you load and if your blooming and all that. Hope the end comes soon so you can move on to new things Jim!

Thin lather really does put a wrench in the shave plans. Load more tomorrow and all will be well!

I think I got 15-16 shaves out of what I had left in my tub. By Chad’s standards that’s about 55-60%. By Tim’s it’s probably closer to 20% ???. All depends on how heavy you load and if your blooming and all that. Hope the end comes soon so you can move on to new things Jim!

Hhahaha ,.. I know, my mind pictured Doug shaving then scooping a bunch of chunks in the garbage pail to get it over with.

Thin lather really does put a wrench in the shave plans. Load more tomorrow and all will be well!

Don, I thought I loaded a lot. I gave it a 30-second load. Better luck tomorrow. Thanks for checking in.

Yeah, my tub is taking awhile to get through too. I guess from a cost perspective that’s a good thing

Yeah, my tub is taking awhile to get through too. I guess from a cost perspective that’s a good thing

Cost Smosht! We don't care how efficient or economical you are with your soaps! Not around these parts! The only thing we care about is how many soaps you can acquire and can you use those soaps only once!
1f60b.png

Exactly Tim, which is funny because you should almost see how long you can stretch a tub out like someone stretches a blade.

Like a a great challenge might be. I will make this run last a year and still shave at least 200 times. Ha.

1 days ago
2019 Shave #30 (1 days growth)
Sputnik
Soap Ghost Town Barber (30) 3017

Different perspective on the Mild plate today out of the Raw today with a new Sputnik in there. Oh yeah, did I say I was going to push the Astra SS to the limit to see what she could do? Well looks like four shaves is the limit for me. Why push into a level of unsaticfaction just to prove a point?

So so today was a nice two pass smooth Butt shave that was almost BBS. The only item that kind of failed to perform? You guessed it. The GTB’s residual slickness. Or lack there of.

Now i believe I owe the Cadre another vlog so let me think of something good.

Oh also found a user grade Grand Shave King from I believe 1946. Had one about 5 years ago till my at the time two year old dropped it and broke it.

It it should be in in the next couple days. Love this razor. One Smooth butt razor. Or at least that’s the
Way I remember it.

Back