The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Sharp’s Tales: There Will Be Blood

2019 Shave #6 2 days
Razor: Charcoal Goods SB LvL2
Blade: Sputnik (1)
Brush: Paladin Chief 28MM
Soap: Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber (6) 3017
Alum, Thayer's Medicated and L’Occitane ASB

After Sunday Nights disaster I decided to give the face a break. I realized I pushed the Astra SP 1 shave to long.

Excited to test other blades with my Charcoal Goods razor I put a sputnik blade on the SB Lvl 2 Head to see how it would compare with my Mergress.

After noticing that I am not creating enough lather vs. what others I am doing, I loaded 3 grams of GTB in my shave bowl and proceeded to lather it up. I was able to get loads of suds to conduct a three pass shave, but I didn't use up the entire 3 grams either. I am guessing 2.5-2.75 was used, and the rest was still soap in the bowl. I really want to love this soap. I don't hate it it just is ok. It serves its purpose. I am getting used to the scent. But I don't get a residual slickness that other soaps offer, and I do not get the postface conditioning.

On to the razor. So far my Mergress has been my best smoothness to closeness performer. My Blackbird is the most efficient. I have to figure out the angle of this razor. Pass one and two were smooth but not close. On the third pass, It kind of hit me that it needs a shallower angle to get more blade exposure. That gave way to a little bit of irritation but no weepers.

Unfortunately, you will be bored by the time I spend with this razor over the next few weeks.

I credit the less then steller closeness of the shave on the razor and not the blade. When I adjusted the angle the Sputnik was smooth and sharp, I can't wait to see it performs on tomorrow's shave.

I created a pretty detailed log for myself with a free spreadsheet I accessed on another forum. It gives pretty in-depth details of your history. I started it as of Jan 1, 2019. Once set up it is pretty easy.
It offers Inventory Control, Razor, Brush and Soap performance. Blade number of uses and performance and inventory county. It Offers Temperature Performance chart.

Now there is a Paid app on Apple and Google Play, but the pro model cost money. This is free If anyone is interested please PM me and I will get them a link to the google drive where you can download it.

Have an excellent day Cadre.

Jimmy be digging into the science of the shave!
1f602.png

Good of for you man!

It’s really ok to not love GTB!

I know, I know. I had a similar situation back in 2014. Everyone was touting Dr. Harris Soaps and a bunch of guys committed to 3017ing their soap of choice. I choose Windsor. A great scent but the performance was lackluster to me. And the way I load it was like 5-6 months of boredom and halfa$$ shaves.

I think being a softer soap with less volume I will be done between Feb and March.

The essence of GTB, the sheet beauty if you will, is with the scent not the performance. You are correct. It doesn't knock it out of the park with post shave feel for slickness, but it slaps you in the face with leather and sprinkles your hat with gun powder kisses.

2019 Shave 7

Razor: Charcoal Goods SB Lvl 2
Blade: Sputnik (2)
Brush: Paladin Chief 28MM
Pre Shave: Keihl’s Exfoliating Cleanser
Soap Ghost Town Barber (7) 3017
Alum, Thayer’s, Medicated, L’Occitane ASB

The Gods were with me today.
3 pass shave WTG, XTG/ATG and XTG

Shaved this morning but only got to the write up tonight.
With about 30 hours of growth on me I
Showered and face cleansed with Kiehll’s Exfoliating Cleanser. A deep cleaning lava stone based exfoliate. I great product to raise the beard up while getting rid of dead skin.

Got got a nice load on the brush but not as much as you might think. The quality of this CFS’s lather came from work, spending more time whipping the soap up and some added water. Only about 2g s but the time and water yielded a nice amount of lather that lasted all three passes no issues.

The Paladin Chief not only worker up mounds of lather it covered the face like a nice spackle without being too thick.
This soap performed for the first time all year. The residual slickness was not there. And no there was no post face conditioning felt. But provided slickness and cushioning for a fairly comfortable shave.

As I suspected yesterday. Riding the cap a bit more( shallowing the angle) made all the difference between yesterday and today’s shave. Though I feel the exfoliate helped too. The Supnik remained sharp and smooth. I will see how long this blade can last. Hopefully I can get a full four uses.
As stated 3 full passes and light touch up all it took.
Alum indicated some slight irritation along the jawline and under one side of the stash but not bad.

The outcome was was the best shave of the year. BBS one 95% of my face with both jawlines carring some
light scruff.

This is type of shave I will need between 36 hours to a full two days before picking up a bother razor.

Shave Metrics Score: 8.1

I hope I won’t jinx and mess up the mojo on the next shave.

Good night Cadre.

Great observations and notes on the days shave!

36-48 hours before another shave hm? I don’t think I could do it. I’d sooner pretend and “shave” without a blade in the razor than go without!
1f602.png

Chants Chris and Dave. I’ll have to get one of those Paw Parol toy shave kits that someone was showing around Christmas.

Looks like the Sputnik shave is performing well. Are you a Paw Patrol house too?

We do the Pup Pup boogie at least daily. I usually have to be rubble.

Looks like the Sputnik shave is performing well. Are you a Paw Patrol house too?

We do the Pup Pup boogie at least daily. I usually have to be rubble.

We are well indoctrinated into the Paw Patrol life. Ugh Rubble. You are a good man offering to be the most annoying Of the Characters. Though I am over Marshall’s clumsiness and Chases boy scout attitude. Ha.

The new Chihuahua dog annoys me beyond measure!

Is that the one with an accent?

I have been randomly putting Bugs Bunny on trying to get them to take the hook.

also if you notice Paw Patrol is totally ripping off other cartoons. There are Pirate ones going after the Jake and the Nver land Pirates crowd. And super hero ones. Trying to take down PJ Mask.

\n\nIs that the one with an accent? \n\nI have been randomly putting Bugs Bunny on trying to get them to take the hook.\n\nalso if you notice Paw Patrol is totally ripping off other cartoons. There are Pirate ones going after the Jake and the Nver land Pirates crowd. And super hero ones. Trying to take down PJ Mask.
\n\nOh yes. I actually like the Jake and Pirates. But don\'t see it on much anymore. Lately it has been Puppy Dog Pals and LIon Guard. Although my daughter really likes the vampire one.

Oh yes. I actually like the Jake and Pirates. But don't see it on much anymore. Lately it has been Puppy Dog Pals and LIon Guard. Although my daughter really likes the vampire one.

Lion Gaurd huge here too. Daughter wanted a life size Pride Rock for Christmas. I was like kid we live in an apartment. Where would you see it fitting?

Back