The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Rich's Journal: Adventures with Life and Sharp things

Cella Aloe
Shake Sharp (novelty razor)

This is indeed an interesting razor. 🪒 It features an arm that comes out to gently hone the blade when you shake it. I got i5 from someone at church when they found out I was making shave videos. I don’t recall using it in a very long time. It surprised me with a very smooth shave despite how sketchy the blade is secured. The background of this razor likely dates from wartime production of razor blades being diverted and the need to stretch the life of carbon steel blades. I have to imagine this was at least marginally successful, but not to the point of a breakthrough product. The price on the box was 3.95 from the late 1940’s. It seems that was pretty steep in its day.
Two pretty good passes for DFS. This is a 24 hour shave as my Crater graded shave wasn’t particularly great, and I’m curious if my face is set up for daily shaving. We will see tomorrow.

IMG_8866.jpeg

IMG_8888.jpegIMG_8887.jpegIMG_1310.jpegMitchell’s Woolfat
Klas Tornblom 5/8
Proraso

A nice two-passer to DFS using the Fat, and one of my favorite razors. I have been remiss in maintaining my strop, so when I added some dressing and restored it to a good draw; it keened up the razor (already good) to near perfect keenness.
Had a great adventure at our county fair. Mostly with fair food, but featuring a night with the Tough Truck event.
The infield of the trotter track has been used for moto-cross and truck pulling earlier in the week. Now a bumpy course was made to wind about with farm trucks and purpose built trucks. It’s a long standing event I always enjoy. Lots of vehicular carnage! 158 entries goin* late into the night. We didn’t stay too late.

Seaforth Fleur de France
Kikuboshi 6/8

Seaforth is always a treat for lathering and strength of scent. Did some maintenance on my stops and the added tooth really showed on today’s shave. The steel in this razor takes an excellent edge and it provided a terrific shave.

IMG_8895.jpegIMG_8896.jpeg

Old Spice
Bengall Swedish Import

As I grab another random razor from the box, i5 comes another Bengall. This one with the Lexan scales I made.
Ran it across the Jasper a couple laps under running water and stropped on linen and leather.
Old Spice once again astounds! I really like this soap! Too bad it’s not as available anymore. I recommend to anyone who doesn’t have a bit of it to use, to find some. You won’t be sorry. I probably won’t be looking for more because I’d just hoard it.

IMG_8929.jpegIMG_8930.jpeg

IMG_8935.jpegIMG_8934.jpegGillette Flair tip super speed
Proraso green

Had a viewer request for guidance with safety razor. This was a 2+ pass shave with face lather and tepid water. Result was excellent, even for a SuperSpeed.

Shannon’s Soaps A Saturday Afternoon in Columbus
Case Red Imp 132 &133

Random grab brought out a Red Imp. So, to shorten the odyssey of using all the razors I used all three. I must have sharpened them all because they all worked with aplomb. 2+ passes to a better than average DFS+ Cold water is the best choice for today’s hot and sultry temperatures. Dominica Lime Bay Rum finished the shave

My brave wife was up most of the night last night studying for a colonoscopy, so this shave was a bit later than usual.

IMG_8940.jpegIMG_8941.jpeg

IMG_8958.jpegIMG_8959.jpegCrater Super Sketchy Parts Razor
Fine Italian Citrus

Random grab of what shouldn’t have been in the box, but was. Oh well! Rules is rules.
This razor suffers from some serious rot. I did a quick drag across the Jasper to freshen what edge is there.
The new base Fine Italian Citrus performs quite adequately though I predict a tub will fall way way short of the durability of the old double-milled puck. The scent makes it a non issue. It’s terrific!
2.5 passes to DFS+. The Crater only has 1/2 a useable edge, but it’s pretty good steel and does shave pretty well. It’s just tricky keeping track of that useable part. I nicked myself only once, but I’m sure my tetanus shot is up to date! 😂

Shannon’s Soapery “Woody’s Victories”
Seaforth “Buckeye”
Thiers 134 Fontenille

Goodies from this years Ohio Wet Shavers meetup in Columbus, Ohio.

Shannon’s Soapery has made commemorative soaps for most of the series. It is a soft pour soap with a pleasant fragrance that I can’t identify. The Seaforth aftershave is also a commemorative for the event. It fragrance is quite pleasant, but also quite subtle. A big departure from their usual.

Two passes to a near BBS a third sure would have accomplished that. But this is fine. 😐
Anniversary tonight. 37 years! I sure married above my station if she’s not traded up by now.

IMG_9007.jpeg

That's interesting that the soap and the aftershave were made by two different companies. Were the scents supposed to be similar?

Shannon’s Soapery “Scarlet Zone”
Seaforth “Buckeye”
Artist AC class Clone

Shannon’s soaps are solid performers that have recently tried to defy me in the lather bowl. I sim0ly threw more product at it and proceeded with a kinda runny, but very slick lather. I continue to not be able to identify fragrances, but I do detect maybe some Carnation in the mix. My AC clone continues to be an able carrier of the ProGuard blade to a DFS two-pass shave. Seaforth Buckeye to finish. I anticipate regaining nasal function as Autumn arrives to be better able to appreciate this Seaforth scent.

Finished in time to watch the Buckeyes face Marshall in a non-conference game. While I must support OSU, I do admit to supporting the Herd as well. I nearly went there for my undergrad, but ended up at OSU.

IMG_1459.jpeg
5AD6B4B0-B499-4743-B587-FC350A79430D.png

Back