The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Rich's Journal: Adventures with Life and Sharp things

Majorrich

"I have Always been Rich"
Veteran
Legacy
This is the first entry of my journal phase 2. It is my hope to continue to share my experiences with life and shaving with various implements. I will continue to number the entries beginning from where I left off on my previous journal. I hope this chronicle is as enjoyable to the reader as it is for the writer and that things I learn may be passed to any who find something useful in my writings. As with all things written, it is never my intent to offend anyone. Rather, these are pretty much raw thoughts from my heart and brain directly to the pages so read on reader if you dare.

My safety crew wishes safe and comfortable shaves to each one of you.

TSC: A New Hope :
Straight Shave #285

Razor: Bengall 5/8
Soap: Pre De Provence
Scuttle: Crown King 12oz.

Strop: Mitchel Mogal #824 Horsehide
Brush: +2 Omega Badger Brush of Lathering
AS/EdT: Rich's Mongoose Ultra Menthol
Sound track: None

The Stuff: Bengall's are a very popular razor I gather from what I read. And kind of a hidden jewel. My particular specimen is stamped with a Swedish importers name, indicating it was meant for the Swedish market. Arne says Not all Swedes loved their own steel. As hard as it is to swallow that, I have to admit this is one fine razor. The history of the brand is fraught with ambiguity on the Googles. I don't really care because I know it's a good and fairly common razor for shavers of any skill level, and easy to hone to boot!
I have finally worn the top stamping off the everlasting gobstopper puck of Pre' De Provence. I'm afraid if I don't use it occasionally it will regenerate and then spawn more pucks. Not that that is a bad thing. This is some great soap that lathers great.

The Shave: Wow! what an edge! I've been reading about advice to shave only with the grain. With Buster, SafetyCat Second class in the right seat, I begin the shave. Two passes with the grain leave me feeling very like one of those shiny pillows I've been seeing around that you can draw and write in the glitter pieces. So, out the window goes that advice and I make a third pass at a near ATG and carefully pick at the problem spots. What I am left with is a CCS+ because Buster aborted the shave by leaving his station and standing in front of me, impeding the completion of the shave. I rinsed my gear and called it good.

Comments: I think I've learned my lesson with the last encounter with Mr. Murphy. I know the cats have my well-being at heart and know they would not let me down.

Respectfully Submitted,
Rich

Majorrich said:
Two passes with the grain leave me feeling very like one of those shiny pillows I've been seeing around that you can draw and write in the glitter pieces.

That's the best description for that I've seen. And a good explanation to people why different passes are made. That's awesome that people don't need three passes for BBS, but I've tried just WTG and ATG on a face that's still pretty close from a previous awesome BBS, and no dice. Always need the three.

And thanks for the PdP reminder. I need to pull that awesome stuff out tomorrow.

Great call on stopping while you are ahead. No sense tempting Mr Murphy.

TSC: Second Shave :
DE Shave Straight Shave #285

Razor: Merkur Futur / Gillette Black (4)
Soap: MVM Parfait
Scuttle: Crown King 12oz.

Strop: Mitchel Mogal #824 Horsehide
Brush: Maggard Synthetic
AS/EdT: GTB
Sound track: Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show: Queen of the Silver Dollar

The Stuff: Fourth time out with the Gillette Black and needing a more open razor because it's been so long since my last shave. So the Futur gets hauled out. The combination of a smooth blade with the free flowing head of the Futur should not have to worry about clogging with my more than usual harvest today. I will run the razor set at 3 to start, knowing it to be a little more aggressive than the last several razors I've used with this blade.

The Shave: As I anticipated, at the setting of 3, I can feel the potential of this blade. It has the capacity to reap the whirlwind as a Feather, but perhaps in a little less violent way. I definitely don't want to try my luck with any more than this setting with this blade or risk peeling my epidermis like a carrot. Definitely did some mass destruction on pass 1 I definitely feel the magic, prompting me to back the setting down to 2+ for the next pass and to 1 for the final pass. SafetyCat is watching my footwork today and seems happy with what he sees. Makes a couple of laps and saunters out into the hallway. Turns and sits, keeping watch. Second and third passes at XTG then finishing up at oblique ATG. Walts soaps pave the way for a DFS as I planned.

Comments: There has been a hideous chest cold ravaging the neighborhood that settles in the chest and just wont go away, and I've been in it's clutches for about a week. Dang! What a ride! I missed Sunday go ta' Meetin' for the first time in a long time. The Ear doctor equipped me with a dongle for my hearing aids on my last visit. I've been playing around with streaming audio. While a bit clumsier than built-in bluetooth, this sounds like listening through headphones. Way better than the other set. I fear I could get myself into mischief in boring meetings streaming my tunes. I'll just not mention it to SWMBO how good this is working out and complain about having to wear a necklace to make it all work. :thumbsup:

Respectfully Submitted,
Rich

Nice shave Rich! Great write-up and love the anecdote about the dongle and hearing aids...I wish I could do that most times!

Majorrich said:
The Ear doctor equipped me with a dongle for my hearing aids on my last visit. I've been playing around with streaming audio. While a bit clumsier than built-in bluetooth, this sounds like listening through headphones. Way better than the other set. I fear I could get myself into mischief in boring meetings streaming my tunes. I'll just not mention it to SWMBO how good this is working out and complain about having to wear a necklace to make it all work. :thumbsup:

Oh man, there's another huge plus to your new ears! I'd make good use of that streaming!

Nice shave Rich. Sorry to hear about the chest cold. Those can be downright miserable, and hopefully it will clear up soon.

Back