The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Rich's Journal: Adventures with Life and Sharp things

Bummer about the seepage Rich!

I think you'd better dress down those safety cats. Make them get in line and on the job!

Dagwoodz said:
I have to wonder if there was a Union function going on at the time of the shave.
Cvargo said:
I assuming you didn't feed the crew quick enough, so they didn't fight off Murphy.
clyde72 said:
Bummer about the seepage Rich!I think you'd better dress down those safety cats. Make them get in line and on the job!
Xenostr8shaver said:
Catching up Rich, Mighty fine stuff
Thanks Guys! If they aren't union cats, I'm sure they are in the process of forming one. They have been holding a lot of meetings that suddenly break up when I walk into the room. Or they may be plotting my demise.

Hey Rich, last year at this time I think we were just finishing the Blasted Blue Willie challenge. Not that I am looking back on those shaves fondly, but I am looking back at the comradely fondly. Hope all is well in OHIO.

McVeyMac said:
Hey Rich, last year at this time I think we were just finishing the Blasted Blue Willie challenge. Not that I am looking back on those shaves fondly, but I am looking back at the comradely fondly. Hope all is well in OHIO.
That was a pretty neat ordeal/bonding experience! Really glad to see you in here Walt, I missed your adventures and scholarly postings.

Safety Cat Returns :
DE Shave Straight Shave #288

Razor: 5/8 Genco Wedge
Soap: Proraso Cypress Vetyver
Scuttle: Crown King 12oz.

Strop: Mitchel Mogal #824 Horsehide
Brush: Sterling Boar
AS/EdT: Proraso Green
Sound track: None

The Stuff: This razor was a mediocre performer last outing and I hoped to improve that by running it over the Jnat and pasted balsa for some laps. I hope my ministrations can coax out the shave that I know this blade is capable of. To ensure a good test I turn to Proraso and the Sterling Boar a duo that seem to have an affinity for each other in my experience. The preparations for this shave were a bit rushed because SafetyCat First Class Mittens jumped in the sink before I had actually selected my equipment. He patiently waited while I stropped the razor and it appears to be quite ready for action.

The Shave: With a SafetyCat firmly in his position I lather and....Dang it all!...The razor is still tuggy! It's cutting the whiskers with aplomb, but it is not smoothly cutting (at least the whiskers) I'm sure it will cleave flesh no problems. I power through the pass, not unpleasant actually, and make ready for pass 2. I noticed this time that despite thinking that I had hit my chin, all the whiskers seem to still be there! I re-lather chin only and re-do the WTG pass (I'll call it a WTH pass) then make ready for the XTG. This pass feels a bit smoother and I suppose that due to my starting this shave dry and with little face preparation the first pass may have been due to poor whisker prep. Pass 2 goes without incident and markedly better than pass 1. Better, but still not particularly to my liking. Then... Suddenly... SafetyCat abruptly leaves his post. Seeing this, I terminate the shave at CCS.

Comments: This has been a very busy day at the casa. We got a pretty heavy snow last night after a day in the low 50's. A very pretty snow that was gone by afternoon. The appliance repair guy came by to find that our dishwasher had failed due to a blown fuse internal to the control panel. No charge for that replacement. Then the Miata decided to flake out when I try to start it in preparation for it's spring re-launch. I suspect an electrical gremlin has come to call on what had been an intermittent problem before. I suspect either a floating ground problem or a bad sensor somewhere that is cutting off the gas and boogering up the works. I'm out of bullets and it's going to I hope someone smarter than me to effect repairs.

Respectfully Submitted,
Rich

I caught him mid-yawn LOL

So sorry the Genco disappointed. Did you try some tape on the spine Rich? Wedges have a lot of steel to remove when honing.

McVeyMac said:
So sorry the Genco disappointed. Did you try some tape on the spine Rich? Wedges have a lot of steel to remove when honing.
OOH! I wouldn't have thought of that! I'll try that tomorrow! Thanks Walt! On reflection I have two that I need to try that on! Thanks twice! Should I treat it like a bevel reset?

Bummer about the edge results Rich!

The pictures are great. Safety cat looks bored, so he was right no seepage. He's like what am I doing here.

Heavy snow gone by afternoon meant no shoveling right?

Not shockingly, the streets were dry by the time SWMBO got home and tomorrow it's supposed to get up to 70 or so!

I physically laughed out loud when you said as soon as safety cat mittens left his post you abandoned the shave! Great entry Rich, glad the snow didn't stick around. Hope the miata decides to cooperate soon.

Great pictures. Electrical gremlins are the worst. My last car was a Mitsubishi Eclipse and I eventually had to get rid of it after 2 computers and 3 fuel pumps went bad.

Love that tree pic Rich

Agree, smart on listening to the safety staff.

Dagwoodz said:
I physically laughed out loud when you said as soon as safety cat mittens left his post you abandoned the shave! Great entry Rich, glad the snow didn't stick around. Hope the miata decides to cooperate soon.
DocHoliday0831 said:
Nuts about snow in April. Glad you had a better idea when the Safety Cat jumped post.
NurseDave said:
Love that tree pic Rich

Agree, smart on listening to the safety staff.
Thanks Guys! Yup I'm a slow learner, but I do indeed learn. ?

Quijote said:
Great pictures. Electrical gremlins are the worst. My last car was a Mitsubishi Eclipse and I eventually had to get rid of it after 2 computers and 3 fuel pumps went bad.
I quoted you too Don, but it dropped out somehow. I don't code yet. Thanks. I hope to get it running and ready for summer because it has A/C. A key life support function any more.

Nice Teefuses on El Gato, and if you and Walt keep blasting the BBH Willy, I may have to have some fun with custom titles, MUAHAHAHAHAHAH....ooops already did.

Remember don't mess with the Cook, HEHEHEHE

Nice stuff Rich. I'm waiting for our spring snow. It happens every year. Looks like possibly this weekend. We shall see.

Back