The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Rich's Journal: Adventures with Life and Sharp things

Chad, get them trained right. I didn't train mine and he has gone to the dark side.

Quijote said:
Chad, get them trained right. I didn't train mine and he has gone to the dark side.

Oh they can't be trained. They are spoiled lol. Gray one is 5, orange is 2.

Great read and shave Rich!

Glad to hear the hearing aids are working out for you! Hope you are over the chest cold by now!

The training of the SafetyCats was actually a spontaneous event. It started with Mittens (SafetyCat Prime) out of the blue, and when I encouraged it, he taught it to the other cats. I just have to make sure to praise them when they do it. And, as it turns out, not laugh at the sensitive one when she sticks her head in the scuttle and comes out all lathered up.

Easy Aces after the stones :
DE Shave Straight Shave #286

Razor: 5/8 Genco Easy Aces
Soap: CBL Vegan Damascus Cream
Scuttle: Crown King 12oz.

Strop: Mitchel Mogal #824 Horsehide
Brush: Maggard Synthetic
AS/EdT: Alpa Fougre
Sound track: None (Tinnitus Day)

The Stuff: This is the second outing of this Genco Easy Aces. The first of the two I have recently acquired. Last time out, I had thought it wise to tune the edge a bit and do a bit more stropping on this new bevel. As with all the Genco's in the fleet, this is pretty easy steel to hone and finish. This specimen is a touch more narrow and exhibits more hone-wear than the second specimen I found at the time of acquisition. The scales are of similar condition and I find them equal in shaving value. The Maggard is a fine synthetic brush and seems to like Chris' formulation.
Chris' soaps are really good stuff in my experience and I am digging this fragrance large time. I may have guessed on the low side for the amount of product for tonights lather. Nice and slick, but a bit flat with my water.

The Shave: I now perceive perhaps the origin of the SafetyCat behavior may have started from the cat's liking to drink from the sink. Perhaps it turned into a waiting strategy and then as a duty. Anyway, with my coughing and hacking I have been spacing out my shaves as long as prudence will allow so as to prevent any undue avulsions. In doing that, SafetyCat Mittens came in and just stood looking at the faucet as if waiting for me to turn on the little trickle he likes. With some generous petting, he remembered and moved into position. Aha! There is the regimen gents!
The first pass immediately took the top off a raised follicle but with no other problems. Two additional passes with no incidents and I pretty easily end up in DFS land.

Comments: This is some good shavin' tonight! Sharing this with others I see how much satisfaction Dave must
be getting teaching young'uns and spreading the gospel of the Blade.

Respectfully Submitted,
Rich

Nice read Rich. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Majorrich said:
Comments: This is some good shavin' tonight! Sharing this with others I see how much satisfaction Dave must
be getting teaching young'uns and spreading the gospel of the Blade.

You just made me think, with Dave out there teaching people, we should all invest in SV and Penhaligon's!

Great read, shave, and picture Rich!

Good job on the honing!

I do enjoy talking to folks about our hobby! I have convinced a few to walk into the light.

Thursday Bloody Thursday :
DE Shave Straight Shave #287

Razor: 6/8 Torrey Shoulderless
Soap: CBL Russian Tea
Scuttle: Crown King 12oz.

Strop: Mitchel Mogal #824 Horsehide
Brush: Red Baron 24mm Blood knot
AS/EdT: Rich's Bootleg Bay Rum DFET
Sound track: Listening to the TV (The Rifleman is on right now)

The Stuff: The Torrey has not seen much action for a while. It is one of my bigger razors and I've been noticing that my tastes seem to run a little smaller. Pre-shave preparation was a trip through the pasted balsa and then burnishing on the leather strop. The Red Blood knot is still going through it's trials and I am thinking it's pretty good for lathering and application, but I wish it had a bit more splay. Unfortunately, I glued the knot and can't get it loose to put a shim under it to help in that respect.
The big deal for today is trying CBL Russian Tea. I pinched off a bit and mooshed it in the bottom of a soap dish and bloomed it while the water was heating up. It may have been the brush or my water, but I had a bit of a time raising a lather with this soap. Plenty of foam, but it never really firmed up to a good lather. As before, it was plenty slick but low with my water and technique. I'll have to revisit that and test lather some more.

The Shave: I made my preparations as normal, but despite repeated calling I couldn't find a SafetyCat anywhere. The low lather didn't seem to make much of an impact on the shave. The size of the blade on the other hand seemed to cause me trouble with my "contact point" and my technique began to disintegrate due to premature blade touchdown. Yes, my brothers, Old Man <he who shall not be named> came to visit my den. I limped through the shave, but managed to bite myself 4 times and removed that darned follicle again. What a bloodbath! Despite the bloodletting, I still got a pretty close shave. I'll call it a DFS- smooth, but with fluid leakage.

Comments: Premature touch-down is an issue I have encountered before, but as it only impacts a few of my razors I've not made any adjustments to my technique. I think that may need to change. The bleeding has stopped and I'll do a hull plate inspection after SWMBO gets home. I still haven't found where the cats are. I suspect they may be off-site for some conference or something. I anticipate that's the excuse they will give.

Respectfully Submitted,
Rich

Alright Rich, you just need a hard stop to the shave when the cats are refusing to be around.

That's shocking no RIP/TOA took place amongst the safety crew. Sorry to hear about the fluid loss, but great write-up as usual Rich!

NurseDave said:
Alright Rich, you just need a hard stop to the shave when the cats are refusing to be around.
Dagwoodz said:
That's shocking no RIP/TOA took place amongst the safety crew. Sorry to hear about the fluid loss, but great write-up as usual Rich!

Thanks Guys! I'll add an item to the check list to scrub if no safety crew reports. I probably should put myself on report for proceeding without a safety crew. This will be my counseling meeting. Next time it goes in my file.

It's not your fault. The cats knew what they were doing when they abandoned you. How big is the Torrey?

Quijote said:
It's not your fault. The cats knew what they were doing when they abandoned you. How big is the Torrey?
It’s a 6/8, amazing that extra 1/8 threw me! I must have misplaced my mojo and now look like I tried to bathe my cat... and failed.

I assuming you didn't feed the crew quick enough, so they didn't fight off Murphy.

Back