The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think I have tried grape nuts since I was a kid. Maybe I should try them again.

Gotta keep the momentum of your day going.
Grape Nuts used to be my dad’s go to. He’s shaving routine included Aqua Velva which has always done me right - so I think for the Grape Nuts - why not?

SOTD: 03/19/2022

1647706220460.jpeg

Razor: Rocnel Sailor (Master Collection)
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock SharpEdge (Yellow), 1st use
Brush: Yaqi Green Handle
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Lime Mug
Preshave: Ariana & Evans Slick Stick Soap
Soap: Apex Alchemy Shaving Grēn River Puck
Aftershave: Apex Alchemy Shaving Grēn River Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Vegan Balm
Additional Care: Henri et Victoria Lime EdT

Well for me, being almost 100% Irish no matter what every single family member and friend of mine says (or denies), I believe that St Patrick’s Day should actually be St Patrick’s Season - with a special recognition towards the country’s #1 fan (spoiler: me) who is also named after a Great Irish King.

1647706423515.gif

So, this being a day of homages (frag purchase wise) - I’ve decided to pay homage again to my favorite holiday of all time, and this soap and AS combo are also an homage, both towards the holiday and to the soda, Green River. It also has a great shot of the Green dyed Chicago River on the label. Spot on fun citrus scent - similar in style to Mountain Dew (an homage to the song The Rare Ol’ Mountain Dew - best sung by The Pogues). Finished off with Henri et Victoria’s Lime - which is an homage to the fruit 😂 .

The Rocnel is an homage, well, to me. I love this razor and I can say, while I still understand that newness luster is still there - I fully believe has lived up to my expectations.

So, every once in a while, I look through my list of fragrances that I want to buy, then check out on eBay and the tubes to see what the current prices are. Today, was a review of YSL Live Jazz - which has been discontinued. The prices on the market are pretty hefty, and minimal options availabel when you consider that there are only a few reputable sellers there) - so I look up the frag on YouTube to either convince or detract me from buying it.

Well wouldn’t you know it - one of the “influencers” that is known for his love of vintage frags - had a video of a recently released dupe of both YSL Jazz and YSL Live Jazz. Well YSL Jazz has been compared to Ralph Lauren Safari - which I wanted to get - so given that the cost of the dupe wasn’t that far off from the original - I bought the original. However, the Dua homage to Live Jazz was much more reasonable to its original counterpart - plus Dua is an Extrait de Parfum. So locked it down. Finally, I saw a version of Creed Adventus (which to be honest, while I get why everyone loves it, is just ok/decent for me - again, I love the fact that it is different that any other thing out there in my opinion (not counting that it has been duped all over the map), a classic IMO, but for some reason - I like it but not love it. But……queue the booze hound in me - the version I found is basically a particularly smoky batch of Aventus along with an added Scotch note. Sold!

Last night, I started putting together an early graduation gift for my youngest son Jack. Earlier this week I purchased a Fatboy which I’ll send off to North Shore Razors to be revitalized in NY Yankees colors per his request. I bought him a Dark Blue and White Fine Accoutrements bowl, along with a Chisel and Hound Badger that looks like it was meant specifically for a Yankees fan. I will take part of today to figure out some soaps and AS so he can has a rotation. I’m excited to teach him about the joys of wet shaving. I think when the CBL Sicilian comes out - that will be right up his ball park. For now, I’m thinking Stirling Deep Blue Sea (homage to Chanel Bleu de Chanel), Wickham’s Soaps Club Cola, and probably Black Ship Grooming Tortuga.

Aidan and I are off to the next town over to pick up a new lawn mower because it is almost that time already.

Oh, and for the YSL L’Homme lovers out there (I believe @Fightingillini22 and @GearNoir are among these) - it looks like later tonight there will be a release of a homage to YSL L’Homme Intense by Eleven Soaps on The Razor Company.

Have a wonderful day today!

Last edited:
SOTD: 03/20/2022

1647805240649.jpeg

Razor: Stando Polska Gryphon With Suomi Handle
Blade: Gillette Nacet, 5th use
Brush: Boti Classic Stable Wood & Orange Resin
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Red Mug
Preshave: Ariana & Evans Slick Stick Soap
Soap: Hendrix Classics & Co. Southern Comfort Puck
Aftershave: Prohibition Style Whiskey Sour Aftershave
Balm: Zingari Man Unscented Sego Balm
Additional Care: Cremo Distillers Blend EdT

My game plan is still to be sober for today’s Zoom call 😂. Simple Sunday noggin shave with a little booziness to add some pizzazz. I really like the Stando Polska - just very nice razor. The Soap is from HC&C - this has a honey-bourbon scent about it - I’d liken it to Lakewood Soaps Honey Mash. I do like it - but it does a remind me of the one and only time I had Southern Comfort - in college - and yes - I did get sick - so I haven’t touched it since. But this has a pleasant scent to it without making you smell like you went on a two week bender. Prohibition Style Accoutrements confuse me - they go months with having nothing in stock - I think they do fantastic boozy scents - so right up my alley - but there are a few that I want - but they only have one AS and I don’t want to get it yet because the shipping is almost as much as the AS - so waiting patiently for a restock. Cremo is a pleasant surprise- this is one of two frags I have for them - very well done! This is a more upscale whiskey bourbon scent.

I found another boozy scent from a soap company I had not heard of - apparently they are new to the game - called Langley City. Well they just did a collab with 345 Soaps - and I really like their base. There are only two things holding me back. One is their scent note breakdown:

Scent notes: Bergamot (YAAAS!), Oakmoss (Good), Dirt (Why??? What on earth? Literally.), Amber (Good), Oak (good) , Cider (good), Birch (Ok), Bourbon (YAAAS!), Cedar (Good) and Ozone (Well - I’m not sure how a swimming pool scent falls into this But ok).

The other is that it is the soap is called Legion. Well there are Legions I like (like the DC Comics or the reading about the Roman Legions). The label is really cool. But it is a reference to Anonymous. I get it - if you read the whole description - they are going for the Badass vibe (their other soap I have seen the label has a brooding Viking). And there was a time where I know that Anonymous struck fear in the hearts of folks. But then you find out that it is a bunch of teenagers and 20-30 somethings that live in their grandmother’s basement - doesn’t seem as scary any more. But the label is fantastic.

Looking forward to the Zoom today. I hope everyone’s Sunday is going well!

You are 100% correct in pegging me as a YSL L'Homme lover! Haven't had a bottle of Intense in my den yet, but did enjoy it last time I was at Sephora. Will have to take a gander at that soap dupe...

SOTD: 03/21/2022

1647873972162.jpeg

Razor: REX Supply Co Konsul
Blade: Gillette Nacet, 1st use
Brush: Yaqi Goblin
Bowl: Stirling Soap Apothecary Mug
Soap: Maggard Razors Limes & Bergamot Puck
Aftershave: Maggard Razors Limes & Bergamot Aftershave
Additional Care: Guerlain L’Homme Ideal EdT

Well, today’s shave is one of my favorites! I needed to start the week with a pick me up! If I had to do a top 5 soaps and AS combos - this would be on that list! The Konsul is a fantastic shaver. Finished off with some Guerlain - this has a nice citrus punch right in the beginning - I get lime in it.

Here’s an inside joke that is inside only to me (based on something this weekend, but I can’t stop laughing for some reason…..)

From My Hero - Archer:

[Archer and Lana are captured by North Koreans]
North Korean Terrorist : Oh, we don't shoot you. After mission finish, we take you back to glorious Democratic Peoples' Republic of Korea.
Sterling Archer : Oh. Then do go ahead and shoot us.
Lana Kane : Archer!
Sterling Archer : What, Lana? It's none of those things! It's not democratic, it's not a republic and definitely not glorious!

Have a great day everyone!

I've yet to dip my toes into the Guerlain L'Homme line, which is probably to the benefit of my credit card, but there's something about their simple and elegant bottles that really call to me. Luckily they seem to be hard to source in the US most of the time so no constant temptation like some other frags.

Great shave to start the week Brian!

I've yet to dip my toes into the Guerlain L'Homme line, which is probably to the benefit of my credit card, but there's something about their simple and elegant bottles that really call to me. Luckily they seem to be hard to source in the US most of the time so no constant temptation like some other frags.

Great shave to start the week Brian!
Thank you my friend.

I have to say - I love Guerlain - I have 4 of their - all from different lines- I usually wait to find it at a discount - the Ideal line gets most reviews. I think there are 5 in the line - but none are really like each other other than the almond note. But there is something for everyone.

SOTD: 03/22/2022

1647969664060.jpeg

Razor: Homelike Shaving CTAPT 2
Blade: Gillette 7 O’Clock Permasharp (Green), 2nd use
Brush: Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements The Peregrino
Bowl: Fendrihan Apothecary Lime Mug
Soap: Murphy & McNeil Infinitus Hippy Lime Puck
Aftershave: Murphy & McNeil Infinitus Hippy Lime Aftershave
Additional Care: Dua Fragrances Artistic Lime PE

Continuing on with the lime theme! Awesome shave - I have been very lucky with the razor acquisitions of late. From a scent profile - this is an homage to Goldfield & Banks Bohemian Lime - it is in the same family as Seaforth Spiced Lime - very much in the same vein. We’ve had a streak of really good weather - so perfect day to take a walk.

Nothing new to report so I leave you with a video of Aidan Practicing his boxing skills….

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back