The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Reasons why I mix my coffee with whiskey, my list of bodies I have buried in the woods, and other thoughts while shaving

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, so my morning shave is going to be delayed - I was planning on using a particular razor that was in a FEDEX package that has bounced around. Yesterday was kind of humorous:

- Deliveries showed my FEDEX package was going to be at my house yesterday - requiring signature (that was a surprise because I only signed up for insurance not signature - but OK).
- FEDEX guy came at 2:30 PM, saw him pull up 3 houses down, I go outside standing in front of my door, FEDEX guy doesn’t even get out of the truck and drives off.
- 4 PM rolls around - I leave to take my son to music therapy - and wham - get the message that FEDEX couldn’t delivery my package because I wasn’t home to sign.
- I call FEDEX, tell them I need better than an 8 hour window, they can’t give a smaller window, I inform them that the package that came from Turkey the day before via FEDEX gave me a 2 hour window……stalemate. We finally agree - just keep the package at the center and I’ll pick it up.
- Immediately when I get off the phone, I get a text from FEDEX stating they will make an attempt to deliver again tomorrow.
- I call FEDEX back, they said now they can’t get ahold of the center and that they will call me to let me know.
- I receive no phone calls, but this morning get another text that the package is on a truck for delivery (at this point I decide not to fight it, I’ll will reschedule afternoon plans)
- I call FEDEX to verify, the automated operator states it is ready for pickup.
- I talk to customer service, they have now verified it is on hold at the center.
- I get another text stating that it is being shipped.

So long story short, I am just going to get an addressed PO Box that our @August West suggested. My neighborhood doesn’t have an issue with stolen packages at doorsteps that I know of, but this isn’t the first time that I have missed a package. Seems like this would be money well spent because I have to drive into town every day to take Aidan to school.

So, after I go to pick up the package - I will shave tonight. This is the Karve Overlander - I haven’t used it yet so I can only go by what I’ve seen other shavers say. But to add to the difficulty - I will make it a noggin shave.

View attachment 78115
Yup. Let me know how it goes. Get the XS BOX and make sure they provide physical address service. Good luck.

The only company around here for delivering items when and how they are supposed to is UPS. Whenever we see something is coming any other way, we have to add a couple of days automatically.

The only company around here for delivering items when and how they are supposed to is UPS. Whenever we see something is coming any other way, we have to add a couple of days automatically.
UPS is quite good. They also have a physical address service I believe at there UPS stores.

I think there were two problems overall - I think there is the delivery pattern that is based on an algorithm - normally where I live - we are at the tail end of the delivery cycle. But I think getting the XS Box will help this a lot.

Ironically, I made an Amazon order this morning and it is already here 😂

OK, I can add to the Wednesday Trials and Tribulations of Scuttlesoap. And I will attempt to inject some humor in this as best I can 😂 This is meant to be a funny anecdote and nothing personal to any point of view.

So - on my way to FEDEX (30 miles West of my house)— I noticed that the traffic coming from the other direction is particularly high for this time of day. I also noticed there were a lot of different flags hanging off these vehicles.

I thought, “This is odd, it’s a little early in the season for the belligerent blackbirds to come out “ (belligerent blackbirds being my endearing term, that I, a Steelers fan, have for our Arch Rivals - the Ravens. Don’t worry, they don’t care, they can’t read so they don’t know what it means).

I take a second glance and notice, wow -that is a lot of 18 wheelers and pickup trucks (even for the area I was traveling to) and then I figure it out - great - it is our Band of Large Vehicular Protestors for ?? - which I thought had learned their lesson the last time they attempted this. I’m not bringing politics into this - this is a gentleman’s site and we are all brothers here- I will explain).

Now let me say right here and now I am literally a card carrying member of the ACLU. To quote Michael Douglas character from the movie American President:
"You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours." So that is why I donate to the ACLU every quarter.

I believe everyone has the right to believe what they want. And as long as it doesn’t impose or endanger my family, my friends, or me - I say live and let live. 99 times out of 100, people aren’t going to change their minds regardless.

Besides - a good deal of the time it leads to a chuckle for me - and nothing gives me more pleasure than to call my best friend (who is from Maryland, lived in PA with me, but now lives in Florida) - and start the conversion with “ A Florida man *insert something really dumb - like put an alligator in a convenience store freezer while stealing a six pack of Zima*”

Now I have had some interesting conversations with my kids: “No the world is not flat. No, there are no space lasers starting forest fires in this country. No, Canada isn’t going to invade us, but if they do, I’ll be the first in line at Tim Horton’s, etc.” In fact most times, when my kids ask me questions on things they know I’m passionate about, I tell them - here’s where you can see the view that is opposite of mine and a synopsis of what that belief is.

Fast forward to now. I left to pick up the package because I had a break between meetings. Now I know that may have been an unwise decision 😂.

Now again, while I don’t subscribe to their point of view, I will defend their right to have their point of view. But today I just don’t get for the following reasons (and a lot of it has to do with me being passionate about my neck of the woods - people in other states don’t like to be told by others how to live. Now, I get living in the DC area, we have to put up with a lot because most of this passion is directed at our federal government. So here are my questions, statements:

(1) If you are going to protest, and your intent is to attempt to inconvenience people so people take note of your point of view, shouldn’t what your protesting actually be in effect? It brings about one of my favorite Kids in the Hall skits about the Bike Thief?

1647453369740.png

(2) With gas prices soaring, wouldn’t backing up traffic actually make your gas mileage go down? I’m no mechanic, I only know where to put in the gas, change my oil and headlights, and rotate tires. Are all these people rich that they can afford to burn gas or are they giving gas away - especially the ones in the pickups with the smoke stacks that spew out more smoke just because? Because if that side is giving out free gas - sign me up - since I own a Prius, I’ll be around next month - but please have my gas ready and I’ll put a bumper sticker on my car for you.

1647454221290.jpeg

(3) Now from the local point of view. Dudes, the moment we see traffic like this, we locals all jump to the alternate routes because we deal with this every day. So the only people you are backing up are well, yourselves.

1647453904837.gif
(4) And still from the local point of view. We here in DC laugh at other cities such as New York and Los Angeles when they complain about traffic. And, I understand that today’s plan was to go during a different hour hoping to back up mid morning drivers, but here in DC it is all day long…….Our Town Invented the Log Jam.

1647454553623.jpeg

(5) And finally to quote the famed Notre Dame football coach Dan Devine……

“No one, and I mean No One, comes into our house and pushes us around.”

1647454661235.gif

When you leave, guess what - we’ll still have traffic and it will block my next FEDEX package from getting here on time. 😂

So enjoy your protest, and please come back for the tourism. Next time plan your protest for April - You really can’t beat Cherry Blossom season, there is even a Strike Gold Shave soap about it:

1647455347457.jpeg

Last edited:
I was part of a group that tried to organize a national general strike of transportation workers to improve labor conditions. It was a serious undertaking. It was a peaceful stay at home initiative. Imagine if the fuel haulers in this country didn’t show for a month? People would listen. Never really went anywhere. Go figure a vaccination is all we needed to motivate our ranks. Something ironic about that.

To quote Michael Douglas character from the movie American President:
I ❤️ that movie and that monologue.

If you are going to protest, and your intent is to attempt to inconvenience people so people take note of your point of view
Or better yet, if you're going to postest something, shouldn't you maybe not tick off the people you would like to agree with your view of things?

I do have to say there are parts of California that give DC a run for their money when it comes to traffic. I remember my first time going out to California (this is many years before I lived in the DC area), and my friend picked me up at LAX and it took us about an hour to get home because of traffic - and i was asking my friend” Dude, it’s like 7 PM - why the traffic?”

Little did I know until I moved to this area.
I know how you feel. I live 7 miles from my office and sometimes I hit a couple of lights wrong and it adds minutes to my commute! :mad:
1647457379931.gif

😂😂

I do have to say there are parts of California that give DC a run for their money when it comes to traffic. I remember my first time going out to California (this is many years before I lived in the DC area), and my friend picked me up at LAX and it took us about an hour to get home because of traffic - and i was asking my friend” Dude, it’s like 7 PM - why the traffic?”

Little did I know until I moved to this area.

View attachment 78151

😂😂
SoCal is so spread out too. DC still has the edge on the nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back