The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Nice couple of shaves Tim! I posted a pic in the 3017 thread, I think I’m gonna be the first one done. I totally overestimated how much I had left in my used tub.

Nice couple of shaves Tim! I posted a pic in the 3017 thread, I think I’m gonna be the first one done. I totally overestimated how much I had left in my used tub.

Thanks! I'll check it out. I keep looking at mine and thinking, it's not a quarter done yet. This might take longer than a month.

Shave Count (DE: 241 SR: 114)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
J Allen SR
Vie Long Horsehair
GTB soap (3017 - Day 8)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

I shaved today.

Well ... I did shave, but I guess I could fill in some blanks. Same kit, different day. Almost hit snooze one too many times this morning, but I did manage enough time for a shave. I know it's only been a few uses recently with the Horsehair brush, but it is doing well. I'm not sure if it's just breaking in better or if I have just learned how to work this brush better. I'm leaning towards it's breaking in better. It's making and holding lather and the splay is getting better as well. I whipped up a nice lather this morning.

Went with my standard shave of three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Started the day with a nice BBS fot the win! Wrapped things up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain. I smelled great as I fought my way through morning traffic. It's cooler today with a high of 64 (brrrrrr). I also scored some symphony tickets for this weekend and I am kinda stoked. The missus and I have never been to the symphony, so it should be fun. We'll be all cultured and stuff. Life is good.

1f602.png

Shave Count (DE: 242 SR: 114)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Senator
Zenith Boar
Voskhod blade (3)
GTB soap (3017 - Day 8)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

Thought I would mix it up a bit this morning and change out all of the hardware. The Senator is back on deck, as well as the Zenith Boar. This brush is another that can hold lather a bit, as well as water. So I kept the 30 second load time. That seems to work well with these larger knots, but I probably could have dropped the time down another 5-10 seconds. Once again a nice, great smelling lather. By the third pass, I still had plenty of lather, but it had thinned more than the first 2 passes.

Went with my standard shave of three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Another welcome easy, peasy BBS for the win! I'll take those any day. Wrapped things up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. Spoiled myself this morning and went with a glug of the AS. You know with that, everything was right as rain.

Had some random thoughts on the way to work this morning and thought I would share. I'll blame these on Don and the Attia podcasts. I am listening to this one that is 3 hours long, so it should be wrapped up on the drive home today. Anyway, back to the random thought. I realized what I really enjoy about wet shaving. It is being in the moment. That's it ... something so simple.

Of course I enjoy learning and using the various pieces of hardware with razors (DE, SE & SR) and brushes of all types. I enjoy the scent and performance of different soaps, creams and AS. I enjoy the learning process for building a lather, bowl and face lathering, etc. I enjoy learning the process and actually honing my own razors. Don't get me wrong, I am no master. But once you have learned your craft and the dust settles, I enjoy being in the moment. Life is good.

Back