The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Happy New Year, Tim. That is a fine looking scuttle. I'd have to locate a black cat one, except I don't scuttle. I concur that TOBS Sandalwood smells nice, but since every other sandalwood soap and AS smell different than TOBS, I think they missed the mark. Fine Santal Absolut will satisfy your need for a fix of pure sandalwood. It's good stuff.

Happy New Year, Tim. That is a fine looking scuttle. I'd have to locate a black cat one, except I don't scuttle. I concur that TOBS Sandalwood smells nice, but since every other sandalwood soap and AS smell different than TOBS, I think they missed the mark. Fine Santal Absolut will satisfy your need for a fix of pure sandalwood. It's good stuff.

Thanks Bruce! I’ve never used a scuttle, so I’m not sure what I’ll think about it. I got some Christmas money that was burning a hole in my pocket, and I found the Bulldog scuttle. It was a buy it now or make offer. They wanted way too much so I tried make offer. They declined 4 of my offers. So I did a search for shave mug and started scrolling. I then found the second one and it was cheap, so I snatched it up.

Thanks for the tip on the Fine. Right before Christmas, I scored the Fine Absolut and B&M Latha. Both new for $5 total for both.

I'd have to locate a black cat one, except I don't scuttle.

I’ve never used a scuttle, so I’m not sure what I’ll think about it.

Modern scuttles and vintage scuttles are completely different animals, so to speak. Different purposes completely. Modern scuttles are meant to lather in and keep your lather warm. Vintage scuttles were made in a time where hot running water was not common. You’d heat your water up and pour it into the bottom of the scuttle. This was all the hot water you’d have for your shave. You’d dip your brush in the bottom to wet it. The top held your soap puck and was not a bowl to be lathered in. The holes are drainage for when you set the puck back in it, so it would dry easier.

The vintage scuttles serve little purpose now, except that the look super cool and make great shave den decor.

Thanks KJ! I’m ok with super cool looking.

I don’t use much water anyway now that I’m using straights. I wipe the blade on the nice hand towels. I got busted the other day and the missus is buying me shave towels ?

Shave Count (DE: 239 SR: 109)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Dovo SR
Vulfix Badger
GTB soap (3017)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

Smells like team spirit! So ... late morning shave and we are kicking off the new.year with a 3017 of GTB. I kept the same hardware and should keep it for the work week.

I loaded the soap for 30 seconds and whipped up a great lather. Man, I love the smell of GTB. I hit the leather strop for 50 laps. Went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I walked away with a BBS for the win!

Wrapped things up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain. The missus is cooking a big dinner for family and friends today. I’m clean shaven, smelling great and have Black Eyed peas on the menu. Happy New Year everyone! Life is good.

Shave Count (DE: 239 SR: 110)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Dovo SR
Vulfix Badger
GTB soap (3017 - Day 2)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

Hard to believe, but I had time for a shave before work today. It was actually too close time wise and I was a few minutes late leaving. But, it was worth it. I kept the same kit as yesterday. I loaded the soap for 30 seconds and whipped up a great lather again today.

Yesterday I oiled my strop with 6 drops of Neetsfoot oil and that worked in very well. A little goes a long way. Today I hit the leather strop for 50 laps. Went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I walked away with a BBS for the win!

Wrapped things up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain. So day number 2 was an exact copy of yesterday, with a great shave all around. Raining and 33 degrees today with a high of 37 degrees. Ah ... fun times. At least I smell great and have heated seats in the car. Life is good.

Shave Count (DE: 239 SR: 111)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Dovo SR
Vulfix Badger
GTB soap (3017 - Day 3)

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

So how many brush loads does it take to get to the bottom of a GTB tub? I have no clue, but here we are on day 3. Once I finish off this tub, I still won't have any idea. That's because the tub was already gently used when I started. Anyway so here we are, starting with another morning shave today. It's another cold, rainy day so we are starting it off right. I loaded my brush for 30 seconds and had a really nice lather going. It smelled great too. I hit the leather strop for 50 laps. Went with my standard shave of three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I walked away with a BBS for the win!

Wrapped things up with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain. OK ... I am ready for the day! Today is my Friday this week, but to make it more interesting, we have a system upgrade scheduled for today. And if the weatherman is to be believed, the rain should stop sometime early tomorrow morning. We shall see. Have a great day! Life is good.

I wasn’t sure about loads times or whatever and I don’t have any hippie paraphernalia to tote into the bathroom. I was just going to shave till I run out of soap. I imagine it will take awhile.

I wasn’t sure about loads times or whatever and I don’t have any hippie paraphernalia to tote into the bathroom. I was just going to shave till I run out of soap. I imagine it will take awhile.
Ya, some of these guys are real nerds about this ?

Back