The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Oh man, talk about mansplaining. Listen, I know you've been shaving your legs all your life, and yes, likely you mom too, but let me tell you how you're supposed to be doing it.

Oh man, talk about mansplaining. Listen, I know you've been shaving your legs all your life, and yes, likely you mom too, but let me tell you how you're supposed to be doing it.

Yeah, I get that, but it’s one of this things.... did anyone teach you how to shave? Or did your mom just buy you a razor and a can of foam and say good luck? That’s how I learned and I suspect the same goes for most men and women out there.

Sometimes you think you are doing it right, but really you need to be taught the right way later in life.

I simply explained what I was doing and why. I was answering her question and I didn’t say she was wrong. And for my restraint, I got an eye roll. I was wronged I tell you ?

Shave Count (DE: 236 SR: 100)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Boker SR
Zenith Boar
AA Bay Rum soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
AS Bay Tum AS

Morning shave today. What to choose, what to choose? It’s a cold windy day, so let’s go with ... Bay Rum. Still running with random bits of kit again. Also still learning these new boar brushes and they both hold more water than my original Omega. The new brushes are also bigger knots. The Omega Pro is more coarse and has more backbone than the Zenith. The Zenith is really soft for a boar and has more splay. I’m not sure, but with the additional splay and flow through, that may cause the Zenith to try and eat lather. You can overcome this with loading more soap. So I loaded for 40 seconds and off we go. Built a nice lather, but it was a touch dry and I carefully added a bit of water.

Hit the leather strop for 40 laps today. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Today was a BBS for the win! To get there, I did have to hit the soap again after the second pass, but it’s all good.

Wrapped up with a splash of water and a towel dry. A full on glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Just goofing today. I think we knocked out the last of out Christmas shopping yesterday, so a wrapping marathon should start this evening. A few errands to run today that includes hanging out at the car dealership for 3 hours. They have a recall repair on my car and no loaners available ... grrrrrr! I should have worn the eye patch so they would get me out of here sooner ... Arg! Enjoy the Thursday my friends. Life is good!

There’ll be a loner on the lot if the missus doesn’t wait with you! ?

Good shave Tim. Sounds like things are ready for the holiday at the MilkCrate household!

Tim, I love the simplicity of your routine. I don't use straights, but my routine is the same as yours, from start to finish. I like to keep things simple. For me, it's all about the shave, not so much about having lots of cool gear.

Enjoy your shaves!

Tim, I love the simplicity of your routine. I don't use straights, but my routine is the same as yours, from start to finish. I like to keep things simple. For me, it's all about the shave, not so much about having lots of cool gear.

Enjoy your shaves!

Thanks Bruce! I seem to remember my dad shaving with a cart and Barbasol. My grandpa wasn’t around, so I don’t know what he shaved with.

I figured our forefathers kept it simple at home, unless they were rich. I wasn’t born into money, so I keep it simple.

There’ll be a loner on the lot if the missus doesn’t wait with you! ?

Good shave Tim. Sounds like things are ready for the holiday at the MilkCrate household!

She didn’t follow me over there, so I just had to wait. She is so getting an eye roll of her own.

Yeah, I think we have things squared away on the Christmas front.

Nice shave Tim! Bummer about the dealership adventure, but at least you don’t have to worry about whatever the recall was for.

Thanks Steve! Odd recall, it wasn’t safety related. They added some sound dampers, I guess due to complaints. Anyway, done and done.

Shave Count (DE: 236 SR: 101)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Boker SR
Zenith Boar
SC Santal et Patchouli sample

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Nivia ASB

Morning shave today. Winding down the not work week and it has flown by. So keeping it random, I grabbed the Santal et Patchouli sample. I really dig that scent. I don’t know scents, but maybe it’s just the combination of base notes. The scent does change during the shave. It has kind of a candle wax smell to it at first lather. But that fades quickly and then turns awesome. Yeah, I kinda dig it. Anyway, grabbed the Turkish bowl and flicked a glob in it. It was a decent lather but seemed a bit dry again. Threw water at it a couple of times, but didn’t want to break it down. So I just ran with it. I also find that I’m not real keen on bowl lathering.

Touched up the Boker on the balsa yesterday and hit the leather strop for 50 laps today. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Today was a BBS for the win! Had to wet my face a bit and chase it, but I got it. The slickness is just not where I would like it to be.

Wrapped up with a splash of water and a towel dry. A Bit of the ASB and everything was right as rain! Just a few errands today and some Christmas shopping we missed. Then a ton of wrapping. Should be a busy weekend. We have a Trans-Siberian Orchestra concert tomorrow and one of our Christmas dinners on Sunday. Ah good times and a ton of eating. Life is good!

Have a good time Tim. My In-Laws love TSO

Great !! Here we go with the hyperlinks we didn't add, getting put in posts. Happened at the other place I believe too

If you haven’t seen TSO before you’re in for a real treat! I saw them a few years back and it was awesome. Between the visuals and the music it’s just a great experience.

Shave Count (DE: 236 SR: 102)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Henkel SR
Zenith Boar
PdP #63

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
PdP #63 ASB

Quick update for a busy day.

Morning shave.