The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Nice shave Tim! Gotta love the Gaelic Tweed AS, although I’m not sold on the soap. I had a sample from WSP but it smelled nothing like their AS. In fact it didn’t smell like anything at all. The best description I can give it would be unscented Dove bar soap. I think I may have just gotten a dud sample.

Good stuff on the movie date date as well. The wife and I are going to see it tomorrow. Friends of ours went last week and said it was phenomenal so we’re really looking forward to it. Let me know what you think!

Nice shave Tim! Gotta love the Gaelic Tweed AS, although I’m not sold on the soap. I had a sample from WSP but it smelled nothing like their AS. In fact it didn’t smell like anything at all. The best description I can give it would be unscented Dove bar soap. I think I may have just gotten a dud sample.

Good stuff on the movie date date as well. The wife and I are going to see it tomorrow. Friends of ours went last week and said it was phenomenal so we’re really looking forward to it. Let me know what you think!

I have a tub of the Rustic formula Gaelic Tweed and it is really nice stuff.

So ... Lynn @ Straight Razor Design has a video using the same Naniwa progression that I have. I watched it a couple of times and decided to give it a go on the Boker. We’ll see how it shaves in the morning.

May have been a dud sample, I can smell it on the puck. Good movie, you should see it.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 228 SR: 71)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Boker SR
Zenith Boar
Ben Franklin soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Ben Franklin AS

So another gear change today and I will probably keep the Boker on deck for the remaining week. I think I did a decent job on the stones following Lynn’s tutorial. The Zenith sealed its fate today by dealing me another crappy lather. Just dipped the brush in water and still had to wresle with it.

Stropped on the Illinois; the cloth for 20 laps, then 50 laps on leather. Tested the razor again on my arm and it treetopped. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have minimal drama to report. I walked away with 80% BBS for the win! Due to my lather, I could tell I was going to have some irritation.

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and OH SNAP! That one lit me up. It settled quickly and everything was right as rain! Sun is out again today, but it’s 41 degrees. Have a few errands to run. One is to pick up a puck of Williams and beat this brush into submission. I tried positive reinforcement and that didn’t work. Now we’re going old school. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 228 SR: 72)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Boker SR
Vulfix Badger
AA Bay Rum soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
AA Bay Rum AS

So ... partial gear change, keeping the Boker on deck. The Vulfix and Bay Rum were right on target this morning. I thought I would start the Bay Rum a day early. Separately, I lathered the Zenith in my copper cup and just let it sit in time out.

Stropped on the Illinois; the cloth for 20 laps, then 50 laps on leather. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I walked away with 95% BBS for the win!

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A glug of the AS and everything was right as rain! Cold overcast day today, so I’m just bumming around the house. Put an edge on the 4/8 Gold Rex that my stepson wants to try. May do some browsing for a DMT and stone holder. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 229 SR: 72)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Gillette Old Type (4)
Vulfix Badger
AA Bay Rum soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
AA Bay Rum AS

Running a bit behind schedule this morning, with the whole ... wake up earlier and go to work thing. At any rate, I didn't have time for the SR this morning. No worries, the Old Type was loaded and ready for the task at hand. Changed my lathering up a bit this morning and loaded for 30 seconds. That may sound like alot, but throw water at it and whip up some awesome.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I walked away with solid BBS for the win! That Old Type just delivers.

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Speaking of rain, it's cold and freaking raining again today. Oh well, at least I'm clean shaven and smell great! Time to go play on the freeway. Life is good!

Work is so overrated...lol. Nice shave Tim!

1f601.png

Shave Count (DE: 229 SR: 73)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Boker SR
Graydog Synth
AA Bay Rum soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
AA Bay Rum AS

Had a couple of minutes to spare this morning and thought I would give the Boker a shot. I guess I'm a bit slow, but I can knock out an SR shave in 18 minutes. Thought I would try the synth again and loaded it for 30 seconds. Even with a quick dip, that synth holds a lot of water and a 30 second load time seems right. Cranked out a very nice lather, very quickly

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. And I started the day off with a 95% BBS for the win! I need to work on dialing in that last 5%. Oh well, something to strive for.

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Headed out the door and OMG ... freeze warning for all of NTX. Thank goodness for a garage and heated car seats. Life is good!

Look at the fill level on that bottle. Someone loves the AA Bay Rum.

Back