The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Woohoo! Scored a used Naniwa stone set 3/4 thick stones 1,5,8,12k, for a good price. I hope they are decent stones. I can’t wait to try them.

Woohoo! Scored a used Naniwa stone set 3/4 thick stones 1,5,8,12k, for a good price. I hope they are decent stones. I can’t wait to try them.

I have that exact progression and find that they cut quickly and are quite easy to use. They do need to be lapped with some regularity as they are on the softer side, so have a good straight edge and DMT (or whatever lapping method) handy. Congrats on the acquisition and good luck honing!

Congrats on the hone set!

I find that Tabac lathers best when bloomed and with the brush damp, loaded for 10-15 seconds.

I have that exact progression and find that they cut quickly and are quite easy to use. They do need to be lapped with some regularity as they are on the softer side, so have a good straight edge and DMT (or whatever lapping method) handy. Congrats on the acquisition and good luck honing!

Thanks John! The seller said they were lapped and flat, but I will double check. What lapping method are you currently using for your set?

Thanks John! The seller said they were lapped and flat, but I will double check. What lapping method are you currently using for your set?

I use a DMT 325, although I've heard it's worth investing in an Atoma if you're serious. The Naniwas might be flat to start, but will dish out with some use--just check with a straight edge periodically. I think you'll really like them!

I use a DMT 325, although I've heard it's worth investing in an Atoma if you're serious. The Naniwas might be flat to start, but will dish out with some use--just check with a straight edge periodically. I think you'll really like them!

Thanks John.

I saw them and would have been tempted to get a start in honing had you not snagged them. Congrats Tim !!

Thanks Dave! I usually miss all the really good deals, so I guess I just lucked out. The other set had the Atoma lapping plate, but it was out of my price range.

Thanks Dave! I usually miss all the really good deals, so I guess I just lucked out. The other set had the Atoma lapping plate, but it was out of my price range.
The ones you got were a steal compared to prices I see new for each. I'm glad for ya and know you'll put them to better use then me at the moment.

The ones you got were a steal compared to prices I see new for each. I'm glad for ya and know you'll put them to better use then me at the moment.

These stones are thicker than the other set and I did quickly shop prices before I jumped on it.

Now I realize I need to get another beater off the bay to practice.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 228 SR: 67)

Pre Shave-
Warm shower and a water splash to shave.

Shave-
Sheffield SR
Omega Boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Prorasoc AS

So last night I decided to "rest" the Dovo and bring the Sheffield back on deck. I actually changed up my entire kit. Still using the Illinois and hit the cloth side with 20 laps, then 20 laps on leather. Soaked the Omega for a few minutes and loaded the Proraso for 20 seconds. This is my usual load time. I have been using this brush almost a year now and it's broken in well. It has minimal splay and very good backbone. The tips have softened, so it doesn't have the scritch that it originally had, and that's alright. It's a solid, dependable, budget brush.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Last night I was a solid 95% BBS for the win! Nice, very nice! This razor has the .1u Diamond paste edge and it is smooth.

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! It was a great shave to wrap up the day. Life is good!

Nice honing setup you've just acquired! I've got that as well, along with the 3K. You got good advice about keeping them lapped frequently as they do tend to dish quickly. I use an Atoma 400 and it works great.

Nice honing setup you've just acquired! I've got that as well, along with the 3K. You got good advice about keeping them lapped frequently as they do tend to dish quickly. I use an Atoma 400 and it works great.

Thanks Chris! I have the Atoma 400 and DMT 320 in my Amazon wish list. I only need one, but wanted them both bookmarked.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 228 SR: 68)

Pre Shave-
Warm and a water splash to shave.

Shave-
Sheffield SR
Zenith Boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Prorasoc AS

So I took the rest of the week off and got in a late morning shave. The only change I made was to bring the Zenith back and put some shaves on it. I did try something different with the brush today. I let it soak in my shave mug filled with water while I did other things. Came back to it and wrung it out. Loaded the Proraso afor 20 seconds and got to it.

Stropped the cloth with 20 laps, then 20 laps on leather. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I Held steady at 95% BBS for the win! Nice, very nice! I still need some technique work to try and raise the bar. The brush also made a first and second pass today before eating my lather. Had to hit the tub again, but it lathered up fine.

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Even though I’m off today, I still had to get online and work. I will probably have to tomorrow and Friday as well. But I can sleep late and dress casual. Life is good!

Back