The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Well crud! Don’t know if you can tell from the pic, but the razor is cracked. I don’t know if I did it while honing or just didn’t notice until then. Bummer ...

42 degrees? That's shorts weather!

Was a brisk 18 this morning on the drive into work!

42 degrees? That's shorts weather!

Was a brisk 18 this morning on the drive into work!

Uh ... No
1f601.png

This pas Saturday the high was 70, then another cold front came in overnight. The high Sunday was 45 degrees.

Shave Count (DE: 231 SR: 76)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Old Type (6)
Zenith Boar
GTB soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB ASB

So ... had to do the whole work thing again today. And I know you will find this hard to believe, but I hit snooze one too many times again. I still had the Old Type loaded, so it got the call this morning. Shave number six on that blade. I was going to bin that blade and move to another razor, but I think I will just let it ride for awhile.

The Zenith did well with the PDP this weekend, so I thought I would hang onto it today. Soaked the brush for just a minute and shook it out real good. Same as this weekend. Loaded the GTB for 20 seconds and started working on my lather. Nice first pass and then moved onto the second pass, which failed. Loaded for another 10 seconds and was able to knock out the second and third passes. The third pass was a little thin, but manageable. After the last pass, just for grins, I squeezed out the brush. I got a really wet cream that was the consistency of a heavy dairy cream. So, I guess this brush is still holding a lot of water and I have overloaded some soaps. With that said, the PDP seems to hold it's own against this very wet brush. Will try it again with just a quick dip in the water before loading. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I hit the road this morning with a solid BBS for the win!

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and towel dry. A healthy splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Short week this week at work, but no shortage of tasks to be completed. Let's kick this pig. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 231 SR: 77)

Pre Shave-
Hot shower and warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Sheffield SR
Vulfix Badger
GTB soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB ASB

Been a little hectic this week. Sunday my bride took the granddaughter to get her picture with Santa. (Uh ... it's not even Thanksgiving yet.) She came home somewhat ill and got progressively worse as the night went on. So Monday after work, I cooked some soup to keep it light, took care of all the critters and did some housework. She won't usually let me do any of those things and after a full day of work, I was wore out. So I am blaming that for my oversleeping yesterday. I missed my morning shave and had to wrap up the day with an evening shave. No worries, it was a great way to unwind.

Back to the Sheffield last night and the Vulfix for a nice relaxing shave. I hit the strop 20 laps on fabric and 50 laps on leather and was good to go. The Vulfix was also spot on creating a nice lather. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I finished that up with a 95% BBS for the win!

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a towel dry. No AS splash, but everything was right as rain! My bride was feeling better yesterday but still not 100%, so I didn't want the AS to possibly trigger the wrong response. Sometimes scents don't sit right when you are sick. Not so hectic last night, just a few errands and what-not after work. Woohoo! Today is my Friday! Over-slept again this morning and that one is on me. So I'll wind down today with another evening shave. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Life is good!

Yeah, I saw Santa at the Mall and at Bass Pro Shops this past weekend..... dude gets around quick.....We went from one, straight to the other and he beat us there!

On one hand, I agree, it's way too early. Of course Walmart was setting up their Christmas stuff before Halloween (and that just sickened me). But I also think it's a bit nice to spread it out, so folks (who are smart about it) can avoid lines. The line for Santa was like 5-10 people deep at both places. That's much better than waiting an hour or two for the procrastinators. And if the kids are little enough, they don't know the difference anyway.

We are needing to do the santa run soon. My son is already making his list. Have a great Thanksgiving!

Back