The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

How would you quantify the GD experience so far? Better than your other SRs? Worse? Or just different?

I’m only one shave in and it’s just different. Not better than what I have, but I’m more of a vintage guy.

The razor is thicker and heavier (both blade and scales) than anything I currently have. I had a harder time judging my angle, but that would come with practice. It does shave well and has louder feedback than my other razors.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 227 SR: 52)

Pre Shave-
Warm shower and water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gold Dollar SR (White)
Vulfix Badger
PdP 63 soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
PsP 63 ASB

Had my last evening shave, of the work week, last night . Stayed with the Gold Dollar pass-around razors, but switched to the white one. This one is a bit lighter and has a shorter blade. I loaded the Vulfix for another 20 seconds and it was go time.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I had a mixed bag of 30% BBS and the rest was DFS for the win! I’ll take that. This one shaved a bit easier, maybe I was finding my groove... not sure.

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. One last smear of the ASB and everything was right as rain! I will be switching software for the next shave and going with an AS slash.

Overall thoughts:

I was looking at two different aspects, the razor itself and the diamond paste edge. First the razors. The razors are heavier than anything I currently use. They also have a thicker, taller blade than what I am used to. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I still favor the vintage. I think the mirror shine or rounded spine may have also caused some difficulties in finding my angle initially too.

The diamond paste edge is great. My Sheffield now has that same edge. It is sharp but very smooth. The stropping process is simple and doesn’t add too much additional time to maintenance. I will be implementing that into my maintenance routine. Life is good!

Good thoughts on the GDs. I have one that is all dolled up, you’re right, they are pretty heavy. I kind of like the beefiness though. I’m not a fan of that super smoothed shine though the ones you are using have. I need a little bit of hard line.

Good thoughts on the GDs. I have one that is all dolled up, you’re right, they are pretty heavy. I kind of like the beefiness though. I’m not a fan of that super smoothed shine though the ones you are using have. I need a little bit of hard line.

Thanks Chris! I completely agree on the shine. I also need a hard line to see my angle.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 227 SR: 53)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-

Kikuokan SR
Vulfix Badger
Mudder Focker soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Mudder Focker AS

On deck today I have the little 4/8 razor from Japan. It’s a little dude, just a bit bigger than my Personna shavette. I guess that makes sense, given the stature of the target audience.

I twisted my ankle this morning, so the soap choice seemed appropriate. I loaded the Vulfix for 25 seconds and it built a nice looking lather. But on reflection, it could have been wetter.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Today I pulled out a DFS for the win! I’ll take it. I had put a 1u edge on it, but it needs smoothed down some.

Wrapped up my shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! I did end up with some irritation, but it will pass. Life is good!

Back