The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Well, as long as the strop works well, that's all that matters, eh. When I got my Westholme strops, the latigo one I thought was a bit dry, so I contacted them asking if neetsfoot oil would help. He replied that it would, but to apply it to the non-stropping side and let it sit/hang for about a week to allow for total absorption. It worked great, so I've done that procedure for a couple other of my strops.

Thanks for that Chris! That’s good info. Maybe it takes better or aborbs faster on the nap (non strop side) Between the two of us, we have confirmed that it works either way. When doing the strop side, you still have to give it time to soak in real good. Your draw will lighten as it soaks in deeper and pulls away from the surface.

....Between the two of us, we have confirmed that it works either way....
1f44d.png

2018 Shave Count (DE: 225 SV: 8 SR: 35)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Gillette Old Type

Astra SP blade
Omega boar
Tabac soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Tabac AS

Today was a late morning shave. What? During a work week? Yup, I had taken two weeks off, so I am on week two. I have two SR in rotation, the Dovo and the Three Ranners. The Sheffield I sent off to have it honed on diamond pasted balsa to 0.1u. Anyway, I was goofing with razors this morning and hit each SR with 100 laps on the balsa using Iron Oxide at 0.1u. I’m interested in the shave difference with the diamond vs Iron Oxide. Stay tuned.

Anyway, on to the shave today. Friends and neighbors, pull up a chair and let me tell you of this glorious shave. I haven’t been using the DEs lately, so I brought out the Old Type. I also changed my brush out.

I loaded my brush for 25 seconds and ran the brush a little wet. It resulted in some awesome lather. I think the Omega just kicked the Semogue to the curb.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Friends, the clouds broke and the Sun shined through! It was a glorious shave! An effortless BBS for the win! It was truly outstanding! This razor does not disappoint!

Wrapped up the the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and ... yeah baby! You know everything was right as rain! The shave settled down with a great post shave feel. Ah ... what to do today? Life is good!

....It was a glorious shave! An effortless BBS for the win! It was truly outstanding!....
Fantastic! And I totally dig that photo, Tim. Love the simplicity of it - Tabac, boar, Gillette. Nothing else needed - well done!

Great stuff! I actually prefer the Semogue over Omega but I found I like the Stirling Boar brush the best outta the three. Go figure and the price point doesn't hurt either. ?

2018 Shave Count (DE: 225 SV: 8 SR: 36)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Dovo SR
Omega boar
Tabac soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Tabac AS

So yesterday I hit each SR with 100 laps on the balsa using Iron Oxide at 0.1u. I brought the Dovo back out to test it today. Before my shave this morning I did 50 laps on the poorman strop. That Iron Oxide did two things, it increased the draw and it actually made the edge smoother.

I loaded my brush for 20 seconds and ran the brush a little wet. It still built an awesome lather. Those Semogue brushes I picked up were used, but the Omega has better backbone and less splay.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I can’t match the awesomeness that is the Old Type, but I walked away with a DFS for the win! I will so take that!

Wrapped up the the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! The shave settled down again with a very nice post shave feel. More waves of showers rolling through today, so outside activities are squashed. Oh well ... Life is good!

Great stuff! I actually prefer the Semogue over Omega but I found I like the Stirling Boar brush the best outta the three. Go figure and the price point doesn't hurt either. ?
What this man speaks is absolute truth

Thanks guys! I bought the Semogues because ... well we know the grass is greener over there. But for me, none of the three could unseat the Omega ? But YMMV.

....I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I can’t match the awesomeness that is the Old Type, but I walked away with a DFS for the win! I will so take that!....

Excellent!

And regarding the Semogue vs. Omega....I used to prefer Semogue boars by a wide margin over Omega boars. However, I've done a complete 180, in that I now much prefer larger boar knots, and thus the Omega big boars have unseated Semogue. As a matter of fact, I don't even own a single Semogue anymore. But there are a couple of other boar knots that are worth mentioning in the discussion as well: Zenith boars, and TGN boars. Both are worthy, especially the TGN.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 225 SR: 45)

(Quick note on my shave count, I combined the shavette and SR numbers.)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Three Ranners SR
Vulfix Badger
WSP Gaelic Tweed soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
WSP Gaelic Tweed AS

I know it’s TabacTober, but I was missing my weekly scent change. So I switched up my gear. The Three Ranners razor that came from WhippedDog is still holding a good edge. And I freshened it up a bit on the baslsa and that is helping.

I loaded the Vulfix for 20 seconds and ran the brush a little wet. It built a really nice,slick lather. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I Have a mixed bag today. I am BBS on my cheeks and BBS on 50% of my neck. I am super stoked. That is a win!

Wrapped up the the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! The shave settled down with a very nice post shave feel. A great shave and a scent change was just what I needed. Life is good!

Back