The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

2018 Shave Count (DE: 224 SV: 8 SR: 32)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Sheffield SR
Graydog Synth
Tabac soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Tabac AS

I’m still enjoying my stay-cation and you know I’m kicking my days off with a late morning shave. Giving this Graydog Synth a few more rounds. It’s a well put together brush with nice heft. Today I built another really nice lather with it.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. The shave today was another nice one. I was playing with my shave angle today and ran a bit shallower. But with that change, I still had the same results again. Today I walked away with another 90% DFS for the win!

Wrapped up the the shave with a spla
sh of water, a quick towel dry and a splash of the AS. Everything was right as rain! The shave again settled down with a nice post shave feel, come on it’s Tabac. Life is good!

I’m still enjoying my stay-cation and you know I’m kicking my days off with a late morning shave.
He's leaving out the part about following that up with a Judge Judy marathon and then cooking along with Martha Stewart.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 224 SV: 8 SR: 33)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Three Ranners SR
Semogue boar
Tabac soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Tabac AS

Happy Friday everyone! Started my day with a late morning shave and changed up some of my kit. I changed out the SR and the brush. I forget the model number on this brush. I really want to like it, I just don’t. It has way too much splay and I think that effects my lather. I know brushes all behave different, but it is what it is. The first pass was a nice lather, second was thin. I had to hit the puck again for the third pass.

I cleaned up the Illinois strop yesterday with Lexol cleaner and then conditioner. The strop didn’t seem to have any draw before I cleaned it. It is a lightish color and I didn’t realize this was due to how dry it was. I had been using the oils from my hand to condition it but that wasn’t enough. It really soaked up the conditioner and even showed a nick that I didn’t know was there. I also cleaned that up with sandpaper. Used it this morning and still no draw. I think it needs more conditioner or Needsfoot oil.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. The shave today was another nice one. No improvements or disappointments today. I walked away with another 90% DFS for the win!

Wrapped up the the shave with a splash of water, a quick towel dry and a splash of the AS. You know everything was right as rain! The shave again settled down with a nice post shave feel.

I also bought a couple of SR off the bay last night. One is a Filarmonic and the other is a Japanese folding SR. Can’t wait for them to get here. Life is good!

2018 Shave Count (DE: 224 SV: 8 SR: 33)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Three Ranners SR
Semogue boar
Tabac soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Tabac AS

Happy Friday everyone! Started my day with a late morning shave and changed up some of my kit. I changed out the SR and the brush. I forget the model number on this brush. I really want to like it, I just don’t. It has way too much splay and I think that effects my lather. I know brushes all behave different, but it is what it is. The first pass was a nice lather, second was thin. I had to hit the puck again for the third pass.

I cleaned up the Illinois strop yesterday with Lexol cleaner and then conditioner. The strop didn’t seem to have any draw before I cleaned it. It is a lightish color and I didn’t realize this was due to how dry it was. I had been using the oils from my hand to condition it but that wasn’t enough. It really soaked up the conditioner and even showed a nick that I didn’t know was there. I also cleaned that up with sandpaper. Used it this morning and still no draw. I think it needs more conditioner or Needsfoot oil.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. The shave today was another nice one. No improvements or disappointments today. I walked away with another 90% DFS for the win!

Wrapped up the the shave with a splash of water, a quick towel dry and a splash of the AS. You know everything was right as rain! The shave again settled down with a nice post shave feel.

I also bought a couple of SR off the bay last night. One is a Filarmonic and the other is a Japanese folding SR. Can’t wait for them to get here. Life is good!

Good call conditioning the strop! You must just keep your hands ultra clean if natural oils aren’t working! ?

I usually give mine a rub down in the morning right after I wake up, though mine may need conditioner soon too, haven’t stropped much lately.

Congrats on the new purchases! Enjoy the weekend!

Good call conditioning the strop! You must just keep your hands ultra clean if natural oils aren’t working! ?

I usually give mine a rub down in the morning right after I wake up, though mine may need conditioner soon too, haven’t stropped much lately.

Congrats on the new purchases! Enjoy the weekend!

No I don’t really keep my hands super clean. I bought it used from an individual and think it was really dry when I got it. I guess it just didn’t have enough natural oil to pull it back up. I’ll post pics of the razors when I get them.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 224 SV: 8 SR: 34)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Three Ranners SR
Semogue boar
Tabac soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Tabac AS

Starting my day with a late morning shave and changed brushes again. I’ll have to look up the model numbers, this one is a keeper. It is soft and does have some splay, but it’s manageable. Hit the Tabac and cranked out a great lather.

Hit the Illinois strop with 50 laps and I was good to go. This and the poorman stop are like night and day. The Illinois is thinner and fast with no draw. I think it’s horsehide. The poorman is thicker, cowhide and is a medium draw.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Today showed improve
ment and was a mixed bag. I walked away with BBS on my cheeks and 95% DFS on the neck for the win!

Wrapped up the the shave with a splash of water, a quick towel dry and a splash of the AS. You know everything was right as rain! The shave again settled down with a nice post shave feel. Great way to start the day! Life is good!

Strops - yes sir, you're talking my language. Good grief do I have some strops. You may find that you like certain strops with certain razors. BTW, the neetsfoot oil you put on the light draw strop the other day - you put it on the back (non stropping side) of the strop, right? Not trying to crack wise, but thought I'd ask anyway.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 224 SV: 8 SR: 35)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Dovo SR
Semogue boar
Tabac soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Tabac AS

Surprise! Today was a late morning shave. I know you are shocked. I changed out razors again. The Dovo was butter smooth but I couldn’t get anything better than a CCS with it. So I thought I would see what I could do with the lapping film. It’s not as smooth, but it shaves better now.

Hit the Illinois strop with 50 laps and was ready to go. Built what I thought was a good lather, but it was a bit dry. A few sprinkles of water straightened it up.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Today seemed like a step back at 90% DFS. But no drama so I will call that a win! Looking back, my lather could have been a bit wetter.

Wrapped up the the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and you know everything was right as rain! The shave again settled down with a nice post shave feel again. Rain is rolling in, it’s gonna be a wet one. Life is good!

Strops - yes sir, you're talking my language. Good grief do I have some strops. You may find that you like certain strops with certain razors. BTW, the neetsfoot oil you put on the light draw strop the other day - you put it on the back (non stropping side) of the strop, right? Not trying to crack wise, but thought I'd ask anyway.

With the Illinois, I used Lexal Cleaner and then Conditioner on the strop side. On the WhippedDog I used the Neetsfoot oil on the stop side. That’s the way I always cleaned and oiled my horse tack. I had to go back and look, but Larry said the same thing.

I don’t know which strop I like better. Still trying to figure out which one works the best. Thanks Chris!

Well, as long as the strop works well, that's all that matters, eh. When I got my Westholme strops, the latigo one I thought was a bit dry, so I contacted them asking if neetsfoot oil would help. He replied that it would, but to apply it to the non-stropping side and let it sit/hang for about a week to allow for total absorption. It worked great, so I've done that procedure for a couple other of my strops.

Back