The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Cleaned this up a bit today. I couldn’t get the scratches out without losing the etching. I also left some of the patina to show its age.

Good stuff. If I make it up to shaving with straights, I'll be sending all mine out for work that needs to be done.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 224 SV: 8 SR: 29)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Sheffield SR
Vie Long horsehair
Tabac soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Tabac AS

I may have forgot to mention that I am burning vacation, so I am off this week. My bad! Well Tabactober is here so I’ll give it a go. It’s been in my rotation for a while, but has only been used for work weeks. This should give it a real workout. As you can see, all of my kit has changed again.

I haven’t shown the horsehair much attention lately because I got frustrated with my last outing with it. I think this time I’ll give it a thorough beat down. Loaded it for 15 seconds, worked the lather for several minutes and had a really nice lather. I like the smell of Tabac and the scent holds well during the entire shave.

Used the freshly cleaned up Sheffield. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. The shave today wasn’t as good as the last few with the Solingen. It was kinda odd because it felt like the blade was trying to stick to my face. I did increase the angle, but will need to work on this. I think I also need to revisit the heel on this razor. Well, we’ll see how many shaves I get out of it and I’ll clean up the heel on the next honing. At some point I’ll also need to put new scales on this one. Anyway, today I walked away with 85% DFS and a couple of racing stripes. I’ll call it a win!

Wrapped up the the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. With a splash of the AS everything was right as rain! After the shave settled down, it has a really nice post shave feel; soft and lightly scented. Morning shaves are a great way to start the day ... now what to do? Life is good!

Some nice shaves, Tim.

And was the fair you went to the big one in Dallas? Hope you also got a fried Twinkie, or some fried butter, or some fried Oreos, or some fried....
1f60e.png

2018 Shave Count (DE: 224 SV: 8 SR: 30)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Sheffield SR
Vie Long horsehair
Tabac soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Tabac AS

Ok, it’s day #2 of Tabactober and SR shave #30, so we are moving right along. Started with day with a late morning shave ... ah good stuff.

Now I remember why I was put out with the horsehair. Loaded it for 15 seconds, worked the lather for several minutes and had a really nice lather, for the first pass. Started my second pass and the brush ate my lather, so back to the puck for another 10 seconds. Knocked that out and lathered for the third pass and it was very thin and the more I worked it, the thinner it got. I didn’t rinse between passes, so I don’t think I over saturated it. Squeezed the brush and very little soap came out. Grrrrr. Wet my hand, wiped my face and got after it. It was way thin, but slick enough.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. The shave today was an improvement over yesterday. I did notice that I was raising my angle too much on the ATG and corrected that. I have also noticed that I shave slightly better on the right side of my face/neck. So, something to work on. Today I walked away with 90% DFS and no racing stripes. I’ll call it a win!

Wrapped up the the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! The shave settled down with a nice post shave feel. Let’s see what today holds. Life is good!

Some nice shaves, Tim.

And was the fair you went to the big one in Dallas? Hope you also got a fried Twinkie, or some fried butter, or some fried Oreos, or some fried....
1f60e.png

Thanks Chris! Yes sir, it was the big state fair and we go opening weekend. The game there in the stadium is Grambling and Prairie View, so it is really crowded when the game lets out. I usually stick with a corny dog, turkey leg and funnel cake. My cholesterol is trashed so I try to avoid that other fried weirdness ?

Man, that brush must be a difficult customer if it's giving you trouble with Tabac--that stuff starts lathering if you look at it funny!
1f604.png
Anyway, good work fighting through!

Thanks Chris! Yes sir, it was the big state fair and we go opening weekend. The game there in the stadium is Grambling and Prairie View, so it is really crowded when the game lets out. I usually stick with a corny dog, turkey leg and funnel cake. My cholesterol is trashed so I try to avoid that other fried weirdness
1f601.png

Roger that, Tim. My sister lives in Plano, and they've been going every year, but they usually tell me about it. I'm guessing they missed it, or haven't been yet. They're busy with my niece and nephew's activities now that they are in high school. Transporting them to track and baseball get the priority over the fair I suppose.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 224 SV: 8 SR: 31)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Sheffield SR
Graydog Synth
Tabac soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Tabac AS

Tabactober rocks on. Had an early Doctor appointment and then breakfast. So I started the day, in earnest, with a late morning shave.

Yesterday was the last chance for the horsehair, it’s off to the PIF/BST bin. So today I brought in the Graydog Synth. Built up a nice lather, it’s Tabac what can I say.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. The shave today was a nice one. I was keeping an eye on my angle and kept it in line. Today I walked away with another 90% DFS for the win!

Wrapped up the the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and you know everything was right as rain! The shave again settled down with a nice post shave feel. Life is good!

Back