The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Happy belated man! Good luck on restoring the blade. IMHO, I would keep the etching if you can. Start with some high grit paper. 1000 may be alright, you can test on a small portion. I would stick to 1500 or higher to preserve the etching.

And be careful about this whole collecting razors from different countries. It can be addicting! I even have a beat up Garibaldi from Italy that I never had the time to restore.

Happy belated man! Good luck on restoring the blade. IMHO, I would keep the etching if you can. Start with some high grit paper. 1000 may be alright, you can test on a small portion. I would stick to 1500 or higher to preserve the etching.

And be careful about this whole collecting razors from different countries. It can be addicting! I even have a beat up Garibaldi from Italy that I never had the time to restore.

Thank you on the B-Day and sand paper. I’ll give 2000 a try and see what happens. On the different countries, I may just grab a USA and call it done. I don’t want to fall too far down that rabbit hole.

Got as far as this and realized his minimalist approach wouldn't work for me. Words like 1 or 2, "a" and either sounded too restrictive...............Lol
The shaving outfit should consist of one or two good razors, a first-class strop, a mirror, a cup, a brush, a cake of shaving soap, and a bottle of either bay rum, witch hazel, or some other good face lotion.

On a positive note, I'm caught up on the forum journals now, had a cup of coffee and you've convinced me to go with GTB for todays shave. ?

Tim, love your setup. I used Gaelic Tweed AS this morning. Never tried the soap. Perhaps someday, but I've bought a couple of soaps recently, so it'll have to wait.

Enjoy your shaves!

2018 Shave Count (DE: 224 SV: 8 SR: 27)

Kit-
Three Ranners SR
Graydog Synth
GTB soap & AS

Yesterday was a repeat of Friday since I had such a good shave. Kept the same gear, went with a late morning shave. Spent the day at the State Fair with the missus. Good times!

Got as far as this and realized his minimalist approach wouldn't work for me. Words like 1 or 2, "a" and either sounded too restrictive...............Lol
The shaving outfit should consist of one or two good razors, a first-class strop, a mirror, a cup, a brush, a cake of shaving soap, and a bottle of either bay rum, witch hazel, or some other good face lotion.

On a positive note, I'm caught up on the forum journals now, had a cup of coffee and you've convinced me to go with GTB for todays shave. ?

Too funny! Well that was 1905ish so there is that. GTB!

2018 Shave Count (DE: 224 SV: 8 SR: 28)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Dovo SR
Omega boar
Proraso Red soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
Proraso Red AS

Started the day with a shave. Keeping it random, I changed out all the kit. Grabbed the Omega and loaded it for 20 seconds. I worked the lather for several minutes and had a really nice lather.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. The shave today was a backslide. The Dovo is smooth but I think it may need to be a bit sharper. Today I walked away with a CCS, but I’ll take it.

Wrapped up the the shave with a splash of water, a quick towel dry and a splash of the AS. Everything was right as rain! Life is good!

Back