The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

That black walnut brush looks amazing!

Nice job on the honing, Tim.

....I know there’s no mojo in lapping film but I’m trying to build my shaving and honing techniques....

Who cares about "mojo" - I just care about the edge; doesn't matter how it gets there.
1f60e.png

That black walnut brush looks amazing!

Nice job on the honing, Tim.
Who cares about "mojo" - I just care about the edge; doesn't matter how it gets there.
1f60e.png

Thank you! That brush is nice. I am also really proud that I got that razor honed. It’s a real confidence builder. I’m not worried about the stone mojo either. The shave mojo takes care of that. ?

2018 Shave Count (DE: 224 SV: 8 SR: 25)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Solingen SR
Vulfix Badger
WSP Gaelic Tweed soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
WSP Gaelic Tweed AS

Today is my birthday. So I have the day off and you know I’m rocking the late morning shave. I was really thinking about mixing it up today with a random shave, but I have been getting solid results with the kit I have been using this week. So I held what I had for the day.

Loaded the Vulfix for 15 seconds and enjoyed the time building my lather. I worked the lather for a solid 3 minutes and it whipped up really nice. Again today I didn’t notice the brush scritch. I’m not sure if those random hairs finally split or the stars aligned or what. But I’ll take it.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I was able to pull a bit more stubble again and it was awesome! I am BBS on my cheeks and a solid 90% DFS on my neck. Oh yeah, that’s a win!

Wrapped up the the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splurge today, I went with a double splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! No negative feedback from the AS again today. The day is cool and a bit overcast, but it’s a great day. I am really stoked with my shave today! Life is good!

I picked up a Sheffield razor on the bay for $8.50 (1/2 of that was shipping), so you know it’s going to be a restore. I thought it would be cool to have a few razors from different countries.

It came in yesterday. Looking at it in person, if I try and clean it up, I will probably loose the blade etch. So I’m torn between nice and shiny or patina with etch. Etch is kinda hard to see now anyway. Maybe I should have looked for a better sample.

The scales look like they might be wood and there is some wear on them. But what bums me out is what I didn’t see on the ebay pics. One scale has a crack in it. And the scales are bent. Grrrr ... oh well. Maybe shine it up and try my hand at peening new scales.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 224 SV: 8 SR: 26)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Three Ranners SR
Graydog Synth
GTB soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
GTB AS

Off work today so I’m starting my random shaves early and rocking the morning shave. So with the random shave comes a complete kit change.

Grabbed the Graydog and loaded it for 15 seconds. I worked the lather for a good 2.5 minutes (been goofing with my stopwatch app) and whipped it like it owed me money. It was a really nice lather.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. I was able to pull a bit less stubble than yesterday. I am BBS on my cheeks and a solid 80% DFS on my neck. I’ll still call that a win! I think this razor may need a few laps on the balsa.

Wrapped up the the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! Off to do yard work. Life is good!

Back