The Shaving Cadre

Welcome to The Shaving Cadre, a forum dedicated to gentlemanly discourse about wet shaving and other topics of common interests. Membership is always free so register today and join in the fun

Ramblings of a MilkCrate

Nice looking shaves. Is using a microscope common practice with everyone that does their own honing? It seem to make a lot of sense, but you don't hear many people talking about it.

Thanks Dave! I don’t know how common but I’ve read about them and some rave about them. There seems to be several camps: loop 10x, loop 30x, microscope (USB or pocket) and just feel. I like this pocket scope with the lowest 60x setting. I can really see what the edge looks like. I then know for sure when I’m ready to step down the progression.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 224 SV: 8 SR: 22)

Pre Shave-
Warm water splash to shave.

Shave-
Solingen SR
Vulfix Badger
WSP Gaelic Tweed soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
WSP Gaelic Tweed AS

This morning I was able to drag myself out of the bed without hitting snooze too many times. So I was able to put down a morning shave. That Three Ranners SR has been dealing me some grief, but I walked away from the grudge match yesterday unscathed. So just to try something else, I thought I would rock the Solingen for a few days. So with that queued up, I went about replacing the other bits as well.

Thought I would give the Vulfix a go this morning and it didn't disappoint. I loaded the soap for 20 seconds and quickly found that my brush was a bit dry. After throwing more water at it, it cranked out a really nice lather. I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Today I walked away with another mixed bag, with DFS on my cheeks and almost DFS on my neck. I’ll call this a win!

Wrapped up the the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was almost right as rain! The AS told me that I had some spots that needed improvement. See what I did there? I just recently got the AS in and so far I'm really digging this scent. Anyway, that’s where I'm at. I think I will run the Solingen for a few days and see how it goes. I'll then give the Three Ranners another run and try changing my blade angle somewhat. Stay tuned for more ... Life is good!

It's hard to be right as rain all the time, even when life is good.

Thank goodness you don't write motivational posters
1f601.png

2018 Shave Count (DE: 224 SV: 8 SR: 23)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Solingen SR
Vulfix Badger
WSP Gaelic Tweed soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
WSP Gaelic Tweed AS

WooHoo ... Another morning shave! For those of you watching at home, that is two in a row. I'm rocking the same gear for the the next few days and I have a short work week.

The Vulfix is still on-deck and I loaded the soap for 15 seconds today. I spent a little more time building my lather today and it paid off. I don't know if I've mentioned this before but, I think this brush is a best Badger. It does have a couple of hairs that really seem sharp. I am assuming that over time they will get beat into submission. As the norm, I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Today I walked away with another mixed bag, with DFS on my cheeks and almost DFS on my neck. I did have a better shave on my neck with more stubble removed and no irritation. So that is a win! I missed some on the jawline and throat. I need to work more on my technique in these areas.

Again I wrapped up the the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! No AS burn like yesterday. Anyway, that’s where I'm at today and hoping I can continue making small improvements. Life is good!

Good shave Tim.

My AOS Genuine Badger brush has the same issue with a few hairs right in the middle of the brush, not sure what it is. It’s a little uncomfortable at the start of the shave, but I can at least get to a point of ignoring it as the lather finishes building.

Good shave Tim.

My AOS Genuine Badger brush has the same issue with a few hairs right in the middle of the brush, not sure what it is. It’s a little uncomfortable at the start of the shave, but I can at least get to a point of ignoring it as the lather finishes building.

Same with this one. Just keep swimming.

2018 Shave Count (DE: 224 SV: 8 SR: 24)

Pre Shave-

Shave-
Solingen SR
Vulfix Badger
WSP Gaelic Tweed soap

Post Shave-
Warm water splash
WSP Gaelic Tweed AS

Another morning shave and it was great! Today is my last work day for a bit and then I have some vaca. Didn't hit snooze today so I would have plenty of time to shave. I took my time and really paid attention this morning. Loaded the Vulfix for 15 seconds today and enjoyed the time building my lather. Whipped up a nice lather and it smelled great. I am really digging this Gaelic Tweed. I must have worked the brush just right because I didn't feel the normal scritch that I have with this brush.

I went with my standard three passes: WTG, XTG and ATG and have no drama to report. Was a nice shave today. I was able to pull a bit more stubble from the jawline and I was easily 80-85% DFS. That friends and neighbors is a solid win! I'm still in the learning phases and have lots of room for improvement, but I was stoked.

I wrapped up the the shave with a splash of water and a quick towel dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! The feedback from the AS let me know that it was going to be an awesome day. Stepped outside to finish my coffee and the morning air smelled great. The sun was on the rise, the birds were singing to me. What a start to the day...

Not really. A cold front has come through and it is cold(ish) and wet. Traffic was a mess this morning, the idiot brigade was out in force and wrecking everywhere. Thank goodness for a great shave. Life is good!

LOL! For about 15 seconds there you were having a great morning!

Back